I violated two of the basic rules of owning a computer...

Triplane

The first rule is that if ain't broke don't fix it. And, the second rule is never, ever, change more that one thing at a time. Well, guess what? Dummy here decided to update both the motherboard and GPU drivers at the same time. Nothing was wrong with either...I just had a weak moment. And, guess what again? Everything went belly-up. It took me 5 hours to finally realize that it was the latest Nvidia GPU drivers that were the cause of all the grief. Reloading those back to my trusty old 376.33's got me going again. So, all is well now...until the next time.

Doug

Hi all

This thread made me chuckle 

How many times have I done the same thing?

As an engineer, professionally, I stick to   if is ant broken don't fix it.

As a flight simmer, I tend to go with, If I just tweaked this... or updated that......

Only to spend many hours trying to get back what I had before. With a conviction to not do that again.  (as triplane noted. till the next time)

Thanks for the laugh.

Bob

On 2/20/2018 at 8:00 AM, Triplane said:

The first rule is that if ain't broke don't fix it. And, the second rule is never, ever, change more that one thing at a time. Well, guess what? Dummy here decided to update both the motherboard and GPU drivers at the same time. Nothing was wrong with either...I just had a weak moment. And, guess what again? Everything went belly-up. It took me 5 hours to finally realize that it was the latest Nvidia GPU drivers that were the cause of all the grief. Reloading those back to my trusty old 376.33's got me going again. So, all is well now...until the next time.

Doug

You are not alone.

I do it all the time.

Now if you will excuse me I have to go format and reinstall. :wacko:

How did that song go, Oops, I did it again.

I guess there is a good reason my wife would never let me near her computer. :lol:

55 minutes ago, lawrence aldrich said:

Why are you guys badmouthing yourselves.......?

I'm as qiuk and smat as I ever wuz.

Once you reach the top of the hill you pickup speed as you go down the other side.

I hope everyone is looking forward to 2016 as much as I am.

:wub:

2016? That's 20 years away and I doubt I'll make it :(

10 hours ago, Rodger Pettichord said:

I have noticed that when the newspaper shows a photo of someone my age, that person looks really elderly. I mean really old. How can there be such a difference between me and them? 

One of the greatest given to us is that we live on the right side of our faces. ^_^

Dale

My credit to longevity is the many hours working INSIDE a computer. Mercury delay line memory, high voltage and radiation from thousands of watts of those funny glowing glass things prepared me for the rigors of the Internet. Exercise was mounting the the steel tapes on their drives. Musical entertainment was the screaming actuators hitting the paper against the spinning wheel with all the numbers and letters. And, finally the inoculation against cancer by using gallons of now-banned chemicals to clean the surfaces of spinning storage units.

In case you are to old to remember it was a Univac-I.

Dick  -- not Nixon or Cheney

univac.jpg

On 2/25/2018 at 6:05 AM, boleyd said:

My credit to longevity is the many hours working INSIDE a computer. Mercury delay line memory, high voltage and radiation from thousands of watts of those funny glowing glass things prepared me for the rigors of the Internet. Exercise was mounting the the steel tapes on their drives. Musical entertainment was the screaming actuators hitting the paper against the spinning wheel with all the numbers and letters. And, finally the inoculation against cancer by using gallons of now-banned chemicals to clean the surfaces of spinning storage units.

In case you are to old to remember it was a Univac-I.

Dick  -- not Nixon or Cheney

univac.jpg

OK, time for "Old Coot" reminiscence. In spite of our problems with modern computers, often caused by our own stupidity, or more likely impatience, we have come a long, long way. I worked with the granddaddy of the GPS.  I was a quartermaster on the old USS Wasp (CVS18), and we had the newfangled "SatNav".  It was the size of an apartment refrigerator with a radio receiver the size of a bread box on top, all hooked up to a teletypewriter.  A few times a day, when necessary satellites were in range it would print out yards of computer paper with our Lat and Long at the bottom.  " Those were the days ".

Ken

15 hours ago, olderndirt said:

Having fallen for the "try a new driver" trick, it's frustrating to see so many forum problem queries answered with "update your drivers" - it's like the old 'shark at the door' thing on SNL. 

You would think that by now we would know better.

Did an update on my NVIDIA driver Friday night and now I am trying to get my sound back.

Dale

1 hour ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

You would think that by now we would know better.

Did an update on my NVIDIA driver Friday night and now I am trying to get my sound back.

Dale

Try disabling the audio portion of the driver install by using custom installation. Have you right-clicked on the speaker icon in your taskbar and selected the correct playback device. Justa  thought..

Isn't nVidia's only sound relationship is when you use the speakers builtin to the monitor? I have used that at times when I am streaming TV and the full range speakers make dialog difficult to understand. The restricted range of monitor speakers makes speech clearer.  Anyhow, I would look at the control panel for your audio. A popular audio scheme is from Realtek if you are using motherboard audio. I had this "kind" of an issue and new Realtek audio drivers fixed it. Who knows, there may be some weird link between nVidia and motherboard audio systems.

Also, right-click the speakers symbol in lower right corner of the display (notifications area) there you can select playback devices. Then select your "playback device", right click on it and set to default device. That is a shorthand instruction but you should be able to stumble along.

• 6 months later...

Yep. I updated my P3Dv4 yesterday.  Don't know what the update contained but now I get more warnings and notices before the flight simulator starts so its even slower to get in the air.  D'you think its trying to copy me?

John

18 hours ago, Gypsy Pilot said:

Don't be upset John,  failing to leave well enough alone is hard wired in us.  

It's the trait that got us out of the trees and onto the Moon.

Dale

Struck a memory chord there. When JFK said "We choose to go to the moon and do the other things"...anyone know what the other things were? Always wondered that!

I think it's generally accepted that "and do the other things" refers to the historical accomplishments mentioned in the paragraph immediately prior to that famous line. To quote from the speech:

"There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation many never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic?..."

7 minutes ago, W2DR said:

I think it's generally accepted that "and do the other things" refers to the historical accomplishments mentioned in the paragraph immediately prior to that famous line. To quote from the speech:

"There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation many never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic?..."

Thank you! Makes more sense now.

Archived