Eildon and the Golden Staff Hotel!

VH-KDK

Well this is a mighty strange old plane, the Fairchild 91.

Being an amphibian we are able to fly from Mangalore to Eildon Pondage.

1.me1.jpg

I don't know what happened here but charging, no trundling down the runway there was a spectacular explosion with smoke and sparks going everywhere. The 91 kept going so we will continue.

2.me2.jpg

Circling back over OZx's YMNG Mangalore.

3.me3.jpg

Avenel and the Hume Highway.

4.me4.jpg

Some sort of orchard near Fawcett, obviously able to grow trees here by tapping into the local water supply!:wacko:

5.me5.jpg

Lake Eildon dam wall and town.

6.me6.jpg

Coming into land with passing over the  Eildon to Jameson Road. A beautiful twisty road that I have driven many times on camping and fishing trips so many years ago.

7.me7.jpg

Safely down on the pondage. What tree? I didn't hit a tree on approach!

8.me8.jpg

Parked up close to the worst hotel I ever stayed at in Australia. We nicknamed it the Golden Staff Hotel. It made Fawlty Towers look like The Dorchester! This was nearly 20 years ago and looking at pictures of it now I would say the management has changed and for the better!

I trust you enjoyed the ride in this unusual aircraft.

2 hours ago, stewart1 said:

super set of shots Martyn and was the aircraft  on fire it looked like it  I enjoyed you trip thanks for all the info along  the way

I am now 39 mins from Toulouse still going at the moment I will let you know later if I finish the trip regards stewart

n

Thanks Stewart, I am not sure what the explosion was but the plane kept on going so it was not terminal!

You are getting around with your posts, Martyn: Just a few seconds ago it was England, now you are down under. And again fabulous geography lessons for us.

14 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

the worst hotel I ever stayed at in Australia. We nicknamed it the Golden Staff Hotel. It made Fawlty Towers look like The Dorchester! This was nearly 20 years ago and looking at pictures of it now I would say the management has changed and for the better!

... plus a decent hotel "recommendation" for the frequent travellers amongst us. Thanks.

16 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Another nice tour Martyn and I have to say I have never seen this unusual looking plane.  I wonder how much rotational torque they have in this plane necessitating a lot of trim.  Very interesting looking.

Thank you Jack, it was a new one on me too. Well you know far much more technical stuff then me, all I could think of was the noise that engine must make so close to the cabin!:wacko:

13 hours ago, Stillwater said:

You are getting around with your posts, Martyn: Just a few seconds ago it was England, now you are down under. And again fabulous geography lessons for us.

... plus a decent hotel "recommendation" for the frequent travellers amongst us. Thanks.

Cheers Gerold, that is the beauty of the ORBX world with so many different places to travel and places to stay.:huh:

Archived