The survivor

VH-KDK

I did a flight around the landmarks of Leverkusen and then Cologne and decided that the Cathedral deserved a post of it's own

Unfortunately Cologne did not exactly turn on the weather but I think it adds to the atmosphere.

Maybe I will visit another day and cheat with the weather!

1.cc1.jpg

Despite suffering 14 hits and also the surrounding city being flattened, Cologne Cathedral remained largely intact during WW2.

2.cc2.jpg

It also survived the intense tank battle around it in 1945. Repairs were completed in 1956 but continuous repair work is ongoing to keep this magnificent building in good repair.

3.cc3.jpg

Hohe Domkirche Sankt Petrus is it's official German title and with a height of 157m it is the tallest twin spired chuch.

4.cc4.jpg

Building started in 1248 but suspended in 1473. In the 1800s work recommenced before it was finished in 1880.

5.cc5.jpg

It has the largest façade of any church in the world and is Germanys most visited landmark attracting 20000 visitors a day.

6.cc6.jpg

It was declared a World Heritage Site in 1996.

7.cc7.jpg

Amongst the 11 bells is the St Petersglocke which at 24 tonnes is the largest free swinging bell in the world.

I think you will agree that this is an amazing POI, certainly the best I have come across on my travels around the ORBX world.

I will keep looking though to see if there are any better ones.

Fantastic shots of the Dom, and the weather is spot on (can´t be more realistic in Germany´s autumn).

Sometimes big construction projects in Germany take their time, in this case 632 years as you teach us. Probably the Berlin airport will be finished faster, but at least such a long build time keeps the employees employed!

3 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

I will keep looking though to see if there are any better ones.

... I look forward to the resulting posts!

6 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic shots of the Dom, and the weather is spot on (can´t be more realistic in Germany´s autumn).

Sometimes big construction projects in Germany take their time, in this case 632 years as you teach us. Probably the Berlin airport will be finished faster, but at least such a long build time keeps the employees employed!

... I look forward to the resulting posts!

Thank you Gerold and a very pleasant ditty to listen too at this early hour of the morning, even though I haven't a clue what they were singing about!:huh:

Well done on reaching your special milestone and great to see your name in a different colour.:D

5 hours ago, stewart1 said:

What fantastic set of screen shots Martyn I loved your tour very interesting as always and I also enjoyed the history regards stewart 

Thank you Stewart, Cologne has been very well done and the Cathedral tops it off.:)

52 minutes ago, Bermuda425 said:

Thanks Erik, the weather was a big change from my Lignite flight the previous day.:o

Very interesting read about the first rotary wing flight too, 110 years ago !:)

25 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

That was amazing Martyn, I never knew so much about that beautiful church!  And Orbx did a stunning job on it too.  Another place I have to visit sometime soon I hope, after my Oz adventures.

Thanks Jack, it was a total surprise to me, I don't know very much about Germany in fact I didn't realise where Cologne was.:huh:

Well worth the visit for all the interesting ground featured. The land is a s flat as a s*it carters hat though so don't expect any spectacular natural topography.;)

Archived