Lignite Moth

VH-KDK

My latest GES flight to look at some of the wonderful features close to Cologne.

1.EP1.jpg

Very soon after departing from Stoltberg Diepenlinchen is the Eschweiler Power Plant.

2.EP2.jpg

The Linden lignite open cut.

3.EP3.jpg

Tagebau Hambach open cut was started in 1978.

4.EP4.jpg

It spreads for 39 sq km and has a potential size of 85 sq km.

5.EP5.jpg

The bottom of the mine is 299m below sea level making it the lowest man made point on earth.

6.EP6.jpg

7.EP7.jpg

At Neiderraußem is another lignite Power Plant a far cry from 4000BC when the area was first thought to have been occupied.

8.EP8.jpg

The Neurath Power Plant.

9.EP9.jpg

The Garzweiler plant with the mine in the background. The village of Garzweiler no longer exists.

10.EP10.jpg

Mining in this location is planned to continue until 2045.

11.EP11.jpg

The open cut has forced the A44 to be re routed with the A61 suffering the same fate this year.

12.EP12.jpg

Where the motorway ends, you can see the other end above the TMs nose.

13.EP13.jpg

The junction of the A46 and 61 with Monchengladbach Wanlo to the right of screen, our destination.

14.EP14.jpg

Landing at EP49.

15.EP15.jpg

Butch and his dog are here to greet us. A couple of Tiger Moth groupies!

I hope you enjoyed this flight over an important part of Germanys industry.

I wish I could do what you do Martyn, your descriptions are brilliant.  You always have a nice tour for us and I know it must take a lot of work to research all this.  I have GES and didn't even have a clue about that mine, it's so detailed and the lowest man-made place on Earth.  Amazing.

Impressive stuff, Martyn.  I think we'll have to start calling you "Prof", the amount of research you do for these flights <grin>

23 minutes ago, paulb said:

I guess that it can't be nice to live close to any of them.

I quite like the smell of coal, but even so . . .

8 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I wish I could do what you do Martyn, your descriptions are brilliant.  You always have a nice tour for us and I know it must take a lot of work to research all this.  I have GES and didn't even have a clue about that mine, it's so detailed and the lowest man-made place on Earth.  Amazing.

Thanks for your compliment Jack, greatly appreciated from you and the other regular commenters of my posts.:)

It is interesting finding out about these places as I know very little about Germany. :huh:

8 hours ago, andy1252 said:

Impressive stuff, Martyn.  I think we'll have to start calling you "Prof", the amount of research you do for these flights <grin>

I quite like the smell of coal, but even so . . .

Thank you Andy, I enjoy finding out about these places and it does take some time to put these posts together.:)

I can remember the smell of coal from when I was little and the coal shed we had. I must admit I do prefer smelling the roses!;)

5 hours ago, teecee said:

" I quite like the smell of coal, but even so . . . "

Most of the power stations no longer burn coal.. I believe it's some sort of compressed wood now.. and what you see from the cooling towers is nothing but steam..

Meanwhile in the great land of Oz we shut down our coal fired power stations leaving us short of electricity this summer and sell our coal off to anyone who will take it.:rolleyes:

The clever country?:lol:

Fantastic shots and great narration from your old home turf. Err... no, not you old home turf! Amazing what you learned & teach us here, Professor Martyn!

3 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Meanwhile in the great land of Oz we shut down our coal fired power stations leaving us short of electricity this summer and sell our coal off to anyone who will take it.:rolleyes:

The clever country?:lol:

We are shutting down the CO2 producers as well (and try to replace in green), but keep the coal in the mines (to be sold later, when the prices go up).

3 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Fantastic shots and great narration from your old home turf. Err... no, not you old home turf! Amazing what you learned & teach us here, Professor Martyn!

We are shutting down the CO2 producers as well (and try to replace in green), but keep the coal in the mines (to be sold later, when the prices go up).

I have noticed that there are a few wind turbines around both GES and GEN!:o

I hear they are shutting down all of the volcanos too?B)

3 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

I hear they are shutting down all of the volcanos too?B)

That is what our government did already 5000 years ago. Now we just need to tame Volkswagen.

2 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Aw, thanks gents. I must admit is  much better than what I am usually called by her in doors.:o:(:lol:

You should arrange for her to have her own Orbx account. She can read our comments, and she can spend valuable time here.

3 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Now we just need to tame Volkswagen.

You should arrange for her to have her own Orbx account. She can read our comments, and she can spend valuable time here.

Two things to say:-

1. Yes

2.No:lol::lol::lol:

Archived