Around Rome, like Doc Scott

Jack Sawyer

I wanted to see Rome after Scott posted those shots.  So I took the Extra up and took six shots.  P3Dv4

Quit the sim and got an error box, no AS4 beta, no other addons, all Orbx regions and Global.

vGsAyjU.jpg

v8v2mOi.jpg

GepHBEF.jpg

BrOEfKA.jpg

fnbuXXo.jpg

bys36w1.jpg

Then got this, not 100% of the time I shut down but frequently.

Is my install messed up?  I hope not because to reinstall all that stuff would be a royal pain.

WhSQCMb.jpg

10 minutes ago, bernd1151 said:

And I thought that v4 would solve most of our problems. They solved some and brought in some new ones :blink: So I stay with my trusted 3.4 for some more time I guess

Yup, my thoughts too.  I have evrything fine tuned.  All my Orbx airports and everything nice.

V4 no more VAS but can still run out of physical memory, at least I HOPE this is what's happening as LM says minimum required is 16GB vor V4.

2 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

You remind me that Rome is always worth another visit, Jack.

I had never been there in all my years in simming.  Not in FSX, 3.4, or 4 till now.  If it wasn't for Scott I might not have ever gone there.  It sure is pretty though.

2 hours ago, Taph said:

Nice set, hope your extra memory solves your problem

Indeed... I'm not sure this error on exit is due to memory; I've only got 8GB and have yet to get close to saturating it. That's not to say getting more is not necessary, or definitely not the cause, as I'm sure with the right (or wrong) settings it would be easy to push it over the edge.

Your getting very good performance over the city Jack.

7 hours ago, adambar said:

Beautiful shots of Rome Jack! :)

Thanks Adam!

6 hours ago, Iain Emms said:

Very nice.

cheers

Iain

Thank you Iain!

3 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Favolosi set di captures Jack! Sorry bout the crash!

Thanks Erik, yeah, it's a downer.  I wish I knew why this is happening.

3 hours ago, stewart1 said:

Nice shots Jack regards stewart

Thanks Stewart!

3 hours ago, Taph said:

Nice set, hope your extra memory solves your problem

Thanks Taph!  I do too my friend.

49 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

Indeed... I'm not sure this error on exit is due to memory; I've only got 8GB and have yet to get close to saturating it. That's not to say getting more is not necessary, or definitely not the cause, as I'm sure with the right (or wrong) settings it would be easy to push it over the edge.

Your getting very good performance over the city Jack.

Hi Mark, Stewart and Gianni say they get it too.  But in my case it started to really happen after the BSOD.  Could that have anything to do with it?  Do I need to reinstall everything? :(  But it's not 100% either.  Just a lot.  Like this short ten minute flight, then that screen.

28 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Hi Mark, Stewart and Gianni say they get it too.  But in my case it started to really happen after the BSOD.  Could that have anything to do with it?  Do I need to reinstall everything? :(  But it's not 100% either.  Just a lot.  Like this short ten minute flight, then that screen.

The horrible thing about PC's is narrowing down problems and finding the root cause... If it is only P3Dv4 doing this, then it would be best to report it on the LM forum and see if others there are having the same issue. It could be a combination of hardware, or software/drivers, or an add-on causing it... maybe an instability within Windows.

I've yet to have a single crash with V4 so there is certainly not a general issue within the sim.  You could try a repair of the P3Dv4 Client, which won't touch any of your add-ons, as a first step... and that is the Client (Install_Client) only, and not the main setup.exe. Right click on it and select Repair.

2 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

The horrible thing about PC's is narrowing down problems and finding the root cause... If it is only P3Dv4 doing this, then it would be best to report it on the LM forum and see if others there are having the same issue. It could be a combination of hardware, or software/drivers, or an add-on causing it... maybe an instability within Windows.

I've yet to have a single crash with V4 so there is certainly not a general issue within the sim.  You could try a repair of the P3Dv4 Client, which won't touch any of your add-ons, as a first step... and that is the Client (Install_Client) only, and not the main setup.exe. Right click on it and select Repair.

Thanks Mark, I was afraid of this.  I hope I don't have to do a complete reinstall.  3.4 is fine, I get this box a lot.  Not sure what it is now. :(

As Adam banks said, a BSOD can mess up a system.

I'll do this first thing when I get back.

For me , I started from scratch with V4 . I believe that LM will act quickly on fixing issues that arise with V4 . One thing to remember Jack , that V4 was not built in a day . :rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

1 minute ago, Jack Sawyer said:

a BSOD can mess up a system.

Certainly what ever caused the BSOD can... The last time I had one meant a full reinstall of Windows and everything else, but I could not get it to boot at all, so that was obviously more serious.

5 hours ago, Mark Abdey said:

This is driving me mad.  No matter how short a flight I get it.

WhSQCMb.jpg

I even did the repair you mentioned, no help.

I posted at LM but who knows how long they'll take to get back to me.

I wonder if I should restore with Acronis but that means going back in and adding a lot since my last backup.

The last two Acronis backups I think are with the possible damaged files, if indeed this is what it is.

5 hours ago, BradB said:

For me , I started from scratch with V4 . I believe that LM will act quickly on fixing issues that arise with V4 . One thing to remember Jack , that V4 was not built in a day . :rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

I hope so John, because I don't hear of many other people getting this.  I wonder if it was because of the BSOD?

2 minutes ago, Terry O'Brien said:

hey ... really cool pics Jack. I wouldn't worry about the erro message I get one of those accasionally, Just reload and you should be OK.

Cheers Terry

Thanks Terry!  You do?  Version 4?

I wonder why this happens and it's good to know I'm not alone.  I see it almost every time I shut down.

How much RAM do you have?

I'm waiting on my new RAM which will bring me (hopefully) up to 24 GB.

Thanks.

Jack

Jack ... I have 16 GB of Ram in my system. I can get that same error message if I am trying to do too many things at the

keyboard at the same time. It could be a hardware interrupt problem. It has never been catastrophic for me. I just cancel

the flight sim and reload and every thing is back to normal.

cheers

3 minutes ago, Terry O'Brien said:

Jack ... I have 16 GB of Ram in my system. I can get that same error message if I am trying to do too many things at the

keyboard at the same time. It could be a hardware interrupt problem. It has never been catastrophic for me. I just cancel

the flight sim and reload and every thing is back to normal.

cheers

Thanks Terry.  I get this only when I shut it down.  It seems like I can fly for hours or just five minutes and I'll get it but like I said, only on shut down.

3 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

I hope so John, because I don't hear of many other people getting this.  I wonder if it was because of the BSOD?

I have 32 GB of Ram with my current system . Sounds like I might need more . :(:rolleyes:

John

1 minute ago, BradB said:

I have 32 GB of Ram with my current system . Sounds like I might need more . :(:rolleyes:

John

Interesting, I spoke with Greg at Jetline.  He said not to worry about it.

He said he set up two powerful PC's for the conference and spoke at length to Mr. JV!  He said it was a wonderful show and one of his PC's was dedicated to low and slow over LOWI in VR and people LOVED it!

12 hours ago, BradB said:

I think 32GB is quite enough John :)

I measured my RAM and VRAM usage this morning, running P3Dv4 at absolute max settings, starting from London City Airport and flying around the city for half and hour (with pretty awful frame rates) it consumed a max of 6.3GB of system RAM and 2.45GB of VRAM.... My total system consumption of RAM was over just 7GB out of my current 8GB, so not much to spare, but it all fitted [and that was with Firefox and a few other open apps].  At my normal settings, which are still very high, V4 maxes out at 4.8GB RAM and well under 2GB of VRAM.

If the old DDR3 RAM my board takes was no so expensive I would make it up to 16GB just to have some breathing space... but, so far I surprised by how little its demanding from my old PC.

1 hour ago, Mark Abdey said:

I think 32GB is quite enough John :)

I measured my RAM and VRAM usage this morning, running P3Dv4 at absolute max settings, starting from London City Airport and flying around the city for half and hour (with pretty awful frame rates) it consumed a max of 6.3GB of system RAM and 2.45GB of VRAM.... My total system consumption of RAM was over just 7GB out of my current 8GB, so not much to spare, but it all fitted [and that was with Firefox and a few other open apps].  At my normal settings, which are still very high, V4 maxes out at 4.8GB RAM and well under 2GB of VRAM.

If the old DDR3 RAM my board takes was no so expensive I would make it up to 16GB just to have some breathing space... but, so far I surprised by how little its demanding from my old PC.

Hi Mark, hopefully my 16 GB will be here today.  The guys at Jetline said not to even try mixing the old RAM with the new.  So Ill have 16GB. But what I'd like to know is how you measured your RAM usage.

Could you PM or post screens on how to do this?

Thanks for the info Mark, and as far as the Prepar3D stopped working when I shut it down Jetline said not to worry about it but even LM doesn't know why and it bothers me that no one else is seeing it.

11 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Could you PM or post screens on how to do this?

I'm using the free version of Process Lasso from here https://bitsum.com/

It displays all your running processes along with info on CPU load, memory load and a whole host more... you can also change priorities for individual apps.

It will be interesting to see what happens with your extra RAM later Jack.

EDIT: for VRAM measurement I use GPU-Z https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

3 minutes ago, Mark Abdey said:

I'm using the free version of Process Lasso from here https://bitsum.com/

It displays all your running processes along with info on CPU load, memory load and a whole host more... you can also change priorities for individual apps.

It will be interesting to see what happens with your extra RAM later Jack.

EDIT: for VRAM measurement I use GPU-Z https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Thanks Mark, just had a look and I don't know what I'm looking at.  Wish I had more knowledge about these things.

On 14.6.2017 at 0:25 AM, Jack Sawyer said:

I had never been there in all my years in simming.  Not in FSX, 3.4, or 4 till now.  If it wasn't for Scott I might not have ever gone there.  It sure is pretty though.

Uuups, I meant going there in RL... :D!

On 14.6.2017 at 1:47 PM, BradB said:

One thing to remember Jack , that V4 was not built in a day . :rolleyes::D

Cheers

John

If that statement does not fit to this post, it fits nowhere.

On 14/06/2017 at 6:47 PM, Jack Sawyer said:

This is driving me mad.  No matter how short a flight I get it.

WhSQCMb.jpg

I even did the repair you mentioned, no help.

I posted at LM but who knows how long they'll take to get back to me.

I wonder if I should restore with Acronis but that means going back in and adding a lot since my last backup.

The last two Acronis backups I think are with the possible damaged files, if indeed this is what it is.

Seems you are out of luck these day's, feel sorry for you. Take a look at this picture, do you have this on or off, if on, try uncheck it.see the red arrow.

options-aplications.jpg

Out of luck G?

After a little CC Cleaner and new RAM all is right with the world and thanks to Mark Abdey who very graciously helped me set up PTA today I'm very pleased.

Have not had one of these boxes at all now and I've been running it and shutting it down for I dunno, 30 times so far.

All is well.

But, thanks for your concern, I appreciate it.

Archived