Two freebies!

bernd1151

4 minutes ago, Pat Cox (Aussieman) said:

I am not real sure but I think that the Heron's Nest upgrade is only for people who previously purchased the product.

Doh!    I have the Nantucket scenery but didn't buy the Heron's Nest earlier.  Thanks Pat!

3 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Hmmmmm....none of the links take you to a place where you can actually download the Heron's Nest for me.

The link above is good, and on the top of the page is a blue button to add the free product to your cart. The problem seems to be that you need to be a registered customer.

Thanks for the heads up - both look good.

Hi

This is what they say at flightsim about heron's nest:

The Heron's Nest 2.0 Ready

iBlueYonder - Herons Nest flight simulator scenery

I'm happy to announce that the next version of the Heron's Nest is now available for download. This is a complete reworking of the original scenery. The entire island has been created as a 3D model, which should solve the compatibility problems some people had with third-party meshes. In addition, the Viva module has been replaced by the popular SimObject Display Engine (SODE) for the seasonal texturing and dynamic animations.

And of course, we had to add a couple of things - namely, sources of water and power for the island!

To download your free copy, visit http://iblueyonder.com/portfolio/the-herons-nest/

Enjoy!

Bill and the iBlueYonder team

Cheers

9 hours ago, Rob Abernathy said:

Thanks Roger but I was only interested in the Heron's Nest scenery from Bill Womack.

Sorry Rob, my bad. I forgot to mention that you need to be registered on Bill's site to be able to download the freeware product

I see the installer for Heron's Nest seeks to install a SimObject Display Engine. Does anyone know anything about it? Mainly, is it safe or will it make other FS stuff crash and burn? The few mentions I've dug up (including in this forum) suggest it was a bit messy at one stage.

FWIW I downloaded the new Heron's Nest and installed it.  Didn't know about the SODE installation but like a dummy I ran the .exe file.  It somehow made a mess of my FSX Scenery Library.  It placed blank entries between each numbered Base entry.  I was able to delete all these blank entries except three which sent an error message that the entry was req. scenery and can't be deleted.  Still that way but sim works now.  IMO the download is flawed or I shouldn't have ran the SODE installer separately.

I bit the bullet and installed the scenery and SODE. I had of course to activate Heron in the library - since the installer didn't - but my library entries seemed fine in FSX. Are you FSX or P3D? BTW it's a nice scenery. Has herons, too.

I got the Heron's Nest, (HN),  into P3D v3.4 after a wrestling match with SODE.

Firstly, to be able to download HN it you need to register on the iblueyonder, (IBY),  site - I did this during the "purchase", which has a zero cost.

BTW, I suspect registering on the IBY site does not automatically register you for their Forums, as I haven't been able to get on the Forums.

During installation I found HN would not fully install unless I accepted SODE.

Problem was SODE.msi  required that it be installed "By an Administrator".

But right clicking SODE.msi did not bring up an "Install as Administrator" option.

However, after Googling this issue I found instructions on how to set up  "'Install as Administrator" as a right click option for .msi files.

It involves "regedit", which I can manage.

When I reinstalled HN it looked like it had stopped at 98%, but after I hit "Cancel', & checked P3D, it was in fact there.

Quite a bit of fiddling around, but worth it.  Has character.

Got an AN-2 in there. Only suitable for STOL aircraft with robust u/carriages.

TTM

Archived