Who need KSAN feedback?

Benny

Hey, first it's amazing and again, you get a lot for your money (big place, wow!!!). (doing a video right now but you guys will have to wait a bit).

I spent the last 4-5 hours on it with different setting, planes (big - small), weather (ASN) and time (dusk, day, night...).

Look at my rig bellow..

The good news, no OOM (FSX) for me, at all, good memory usage, FPS, well it all depend where and witch plane. For me, I have to forget some of the heavy one or again most Carenado with glass cockpit (not ORBX problem or fault)

BAE 146, Q400 (good on FPS) are fine, anything between 18-30FPS, most GA are fine. ok, a bit hard on FPS (for me) looking at the airport itself BUT I WAS filming (loosing 5 or so FPS).

Me, again me, I had to remove car traffic and it help a lot. The control panel is big and very well made and IT DOES make a difference choosing the right setting. Like stated in it, static plane do have an impact on older rig like mine.

At first my setting where a bit to high (FPS in the single digit) and same thing in the control panel... I had to put my water slider in the middle and autogen to normal.

Just saying that folks with older rig may have to play a bit with setting.

My hardest hit on FPS in on final, but manageable if tweak a bit.  It's very dense and populated area so I was expecting worse to be honest.

Other then that, this is a GEM!!!!!!!!! what a nice place to fly

Cheers, Ben

That is very well measured mini review and thoughts from you Benny. Since I am re-locating to Colorado in less than three months, I just recently had to break down my flight sim cockpit and PC and prepare my current home for sale. As a result, I won't get to explore this scenery for a few months so it's nice to read some words like you just posted.

Cheers!

Thanks for the info, Ben.

I really want to get this, but I do have memory and performance concerns.  In the days before Orbx SoCal, I flew with photo scenery and Latin VFR KSAN.  Things worked fairly well, and KSAN blended OK with the photo I used at the time.  When SoCal released, I (of course - I have EVERY NA region) picked it up and began using it.  Unfortunately, the combination of Latin VFRs KSAN and SoCal was less than ideal.  The compatibility was, at best, marginal (yes, I followed instructions on the compatibility forum), and performance on my aging system was right at the threshold of pain.  Consequently, while I flew the heck out of other SoCal areas, including into FSDreamteam's KLAS, I began to avoid KSAN.  Orbx Palm Springs is about as close as I venture these days.

My question for anyone who had the Latin VFR KSAN and now has the new Orbx release is... how does performance compare?  I know compatibility will be dramatically improved, but if performance is similar it just won't work for me until I get around to upgrading my sim PC.  Would love to add KSAN back into my list of regularly flown airports and I'm willing to dial back on settings, but...

FYI, I'm strictly GA.  For airports like KSAN, I'd be in planes like RealAir's Duke, Turbine Duke, or F1's Mustang.  No PMDG level stuff.

Scott

Of course like any other ORBX product the blending is PERFECT with SCAL. This is not from yesterday that heavily dense city are harder on our rig... take even Canberra CITY SCAPE in AU and if you got the ORBX airport on top... you need to lower your setting a bit. Same goes for so many bigger airport like the older Brisbane.

Places like KSAN are very dense with so many other airport all around... your not flying in the wood as a bush pilot.

I was able to gather a good, 40 nice filming sequence so it's not bad at all on FPS considering my rig is 7 YO.

Just saying don't expect 40+ FPS with older rig.

Ben

Hi Benny. I have Intel i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8.00Gb RAM. I get as low as about 9-10 fps over the city and airport, up to about 18 further out, with statics turned off and lower settings for the airport graphics. Which, as you say, given it's not bush flying, is acceptable for such a big complex scenery.

9 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

Hi Benny. I have Intel i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8.00Gb RAM. I get as low as about 9-10 fps over the city and airport, up to about 18 further out, with statics turned off and lower settings for the airport graphics. Which, as you say, given it's not bush flying, is acceptable for such a big complex scenery.

John, you have a 2600k. The k-series can easily be overclocked. Usually the motherboards using these processors will be delivered with an overclocking app. I bet yours too. With such an app overclocking will only take a few seconds and you do not have to be a computer scientist for doing it. You should be able to overclock your 2600k up to 4.3 - 4.5 GHZ without any problems. Sufficient cooling assumed, no water cooling necessary.

Benny, my apologies for hijacking the topic.

1 hour ago, wolfko said:

Benny, my apologies for hijacking the topic

Ha ha, no hijacking at all.

10 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

Hi Benny. I have Intel i7-2600k CPU @ 3.40 GHz, 8.00Gb RAM

Hi John, which mother board do you have? Wolfo is right, the 2600K (same as mine) can be EASILY pump up even in Windows...

I'm always in the 4,1-4,4 ghz... no heating at all.

Ben

I just purchased this one as KSAN is one of my favorite airports in real life and in the sim.  I was using LatinVFR KSAN before along with FTX Global/Vector and OpenLC NA.  Just to give an apples to apples comparison test I did sitting on runway 27 using default fair weather and AI limited to 50 in the FSL A-320.  My KSAN terminal settings are on High and everything else set to the lower settings.

LatinVFR KSAN:

VAS remaining was 1.06 and average 43 FPS

ORBX KSAN:

VAS remaining was .72 and average 32 FPS

A bit of a hit but it looks fantastic.  I will be trying a test flight in the FSL A-320 from another payware airport (undecided at the moment) to see how the VAS holds up but I start up a flight fairly often in the A320 with only that amount of VAS left or even lower.

I am using P3D v3.4 and my system is an i7-6700k @ 4.6ghz w/ GTX 1070 card

I've been looking at this.  The photos show all the roof tops as white.  Where are all the red tile and other color roofs?  It all seems very white.  Maybe it's the way the pics are presented.

Two (and half)quick questions. Is there a coverage map, and does it require the SoCal region? Was wondering in order to avoid having to buy both if I mainly want to do San Diego metro flying. 

3 hours ago, jkb said:

Two (and half)quick questions. Is there a coverage map, and does it require the SoCal region? Was wondering in order to avoid having to buy both if I mainly want to do San Diego metro flying. 

Bit of an angle to this shot but should show you the area covered.  You need FTX Global or SCA region installed.

69aa5be215a5a298d003b36750e3316b.png

Benny and wolfko, sorry for not getting back sooner.
My motherboard is Geoforce GTX 480. I browsed some settings and noticed an overclock option, but being only moderately tech-savvy left it alone. If I can find the settings again (a big ask, for me!) I may revisit. My system is water-cooled (I am told it has Glycol, which, last I heard, cooled Spitfire engines ;) )

On 3/31/2017 at 5:54 AM, Geezer said:

I've been looking at this.  The photos show all the roof tops as white.  Where are all the red tile and other color roofs?  It all seems very white.  Maybe it's the way the pics are presented.

I purchased this and yes it's very white. I was really surprised because I live in SD and it doesn't look all white washed. There should be a lot more red roofs and green vegetation. I'm a bit disappointed honestly. I had high hopes for this one. 

22 minutes ago, dansandiego said:

I purchased this and yes it's very white. I was really surprised because I live in SD and it doesn't look all white washed. There should be a lot more red roofs and green vegetation. I'm a bit disappointed honestly. I had high hopes for this one. 

I was born and raised in Los Angeles and lived in Vista for a couple of years in the late 80s so I was very interested in KSAN.  Really, I was shocked at the lack of color.  Southern California is known for its Spanish style red tile roofs.  Where are they?  I have all the other NA airports but will skip this one until it's fixed.

Hello guys 

the airport itself is fantastic. The problem is at night with textures. Jordan king posted a photo that shows the problem. It's in the full FTX region section titled ( is this how KSAN is supposed to look at night?) the coverage outside the airport does not show FTX GLOBAL LIGHTS. You will see main highways that's all.

Still waiting for a response from the developer on this. No other global airport has this issue 

jeff

2 hours ago, Jrbaird19 said:

Hello guys 

the airport itself is fantastic. The problem is at night with textures. Jordan king posted a photo that shows the problem. It's in the full FTX region section titled ( is this how KSAN is supposed to look at night?) the coverage outside the airport does not show FTX GLOBAL LIGHTS. You will see main highways that's all.

Still waiting for a response from the developer on this. No other global airport has this issue 

jeff

Hi Jeff, the FTX GLOBAL LIGHTS are presents in the scenery over the Highway.

Matteo

I'm talking about the lights that we use in the FTX GLOBAL LIGHTS CONFIGURATOR. Blue street lights,orange,yellow,neon,white lights and brake lights. Those should all be present in the scenery outside the airport. A file must be missing perhaps. Look at other global airports they are all present( KEGE,KPSP,KSEZ and KTEX to name a few. 

Jeff

image.jpg

Hi Freebird

Thanks for the reply. I own every global airport in North American and have never seen this before. Half of the fun coming into San Diego is the wonderful approach at night. If that's the case something should be said that FTX GLOBAL LIGHTS are not a option due to photoreal! He did a great job with the airport.  

Jeff

a quick shot of flying around Palm Springs at nightIMG_0650.JPG

global lights cover streets and intersections and even show brake lights as well. If you look at San Diego with a default airport and openLC installed you'll see. You are only describing highways. 

The picture above from Palm Springs shows highways and streets thru neighborhoods. Clearly photoreal doesn't allow the ability to see FTX LIGHTS at full potential 

7 hours ago, Jrbaird19 said:

global lights cover streets and intersections and even show brake lights as well. If you look at San Diego with a default airport and openLC installed you'll see. You are only describing highways. 

The picture above from Palm Springs shows highways and streets thru neighborhoods. Clearly photoreal doesn't allow the ability to see FTX LIGHTS at full potential 

As you can see lights are on ALL higway and over some streets. If you have some problems with you KSAN scenery, please show me some pictures.

1.png

My point exactly! Lights on highways only.

you still haven't responded with a working solution to the other thread( is this what night lighting in KSAN is suppose to look like.

show me picture at night at complete darkness the approaching 27 from about 5-10 out

IMG_2297.PNG

52 minutes ago, Jrbaird19 said:

My point exactly! Lights on highways only.

you still haven't responded with a working solution to the other thread( is this what night lighting in KSAN is suppose to look like.

show me picture at night at complete darkness the approaching 27 from about 5-10 out

IMG_2297.PNG

This is the correct visual at night. Lights are presents over ALL higway and over roads. The colour has been done to be seamless with landclass. I think will be impossible to add more lights in this huge area, will be unusable on fps and vas. The scenery has been developed to be used from ALL user from low end pc to high end pc.

I think the night light is very good already like this and very immersive during the approach.

Cheers, Matteo

P.S the intensity of the colour of the lights of the PR could change due to your setting.

light1.png

light2.png

light3.png

I give up. Thank you for the wonderful work on the airport itself. I disagree with your philosophy outside of the airfield. I fly most of my trips in the evening due to the wonderful global lights. From this point on this airport will only be useful to me during the day

26 minutes ago, Jrbaird19 said:

I give up. Thank you for the wonderful work on the airport itself. I disagree with your philosophy outside of the airfield. I fly most of my trips in the evening due to the wonderful global lights. From this point on this airport will only be useful to me during the day

I will see if is possible to add the more GLOBAL lights. But i can't I guarantee.

1 hour ago, Matteo Veneziani said:

The scenery has been developed to be used from ALL user from low end pc to high end pc.

Hi Matteo, would you kindly suggest some slider setting for older PC

I'm working on a nice film on your great airport but noway I can land any plane on final without getting into the single digit (FPS) using Bandicam.

Static plane are removed, any other suggestion

Thanks

Ben

1 hour ago, Benny said:

Hi Matteo, would you kindly suggest some slider setting for older PC

I'm working on a nice film on your great airport but noway I can land any plane on final without getting into the single digit (FPS) using Bandicam.

Static plane are removed, any other suggestion

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben, the best way to improve performance, is to modify autogen setting, try to dense also for the trees. Use a low setting for water and try the version of the terminal to low setting. This generally improves performance.

12 minutes ago, FreeBird said:

Is there a way to get a light version of this airport without all the photo real and POIs?  All I want is the airport to use with the ORBX SOCAL Region.

is possible but you will miss some POI i think and i can't guarantee full compatibility. You can try to disable files inside scenery folder called: KSAN-EXP50.bgl, KSAN-EXP51.bgl, KSAN-EXP52.bgl, KSAN-EXP53.bgl, KSAN-EXP123.bgl and file called POI_lib_noplat.bgl you can disable their by typing .OFF after .bgl for example: KSAN-EXP50.bgl.OFF

Sincerely i don't think this is a good solution, but if you want to try ok. UPDATE with some improvements will be out soon.

Are you planning to add some color to the roof tops?  Like red tile roofs etc?  There also was a mention there is not enough vegetation for the area.  Will you be adding that?  Perhaps a good idea would be to take a look at some real areal photos?

15 minutes ago, Geezer said:

Are you planning to add some color to the roof tops?  Like red tile roofs etc?  There also was a mention there is not enough vegetation for the area.  Will you be adding that?  Perhaps a good idea would be to take a look at some real areal photos?

first update will be for AFCAD correction, more boat and more cars. About your suggestions i will see.

1 hour ago, Matteo Veneziani said:

is possible but you will miss some POI i think and i can't guarantee full compatibility. You can try to disable files inside scenery folder called: KSAN-EXP50.bgl, KSAN-EXP51.bgl, KSAN-EXP52.bgl, KSAN-EXP53.bgl, KSAN-EXP123.bgl and file called POI_lib_noplat.bgl you can disable their by typing .OFF after .bgl for example: KSAN-EXP50.bgl.OFF

Sincerely i don't think this is a good solution, but if you want to try ok. UPDATE with some improvements will be out soon.

Hi Matteo  that seems to work except I have the default buildings sitting on top of yours. Do you know where the file in ORBX SOCal to remove the buildings. Thanks Josh

UPDate   I found the files and turned them off. Now I have your beautiful airport to use. I am missing a few things like no cars in the parking lot .

Update 2    I got it looking good and got my car traffic back,Orbx Lights, palm trees and navy boats, but still have photo real in the Downtown area. All the rest of San Diego is good to go. I even re activated the POI and I get them too.

52 minutes ago, FreeBird said:

Hi Matteo  that seems to work except I have the default buildings sitting on top of yours. Do you know where the file in ORBX SOCal to remove the buildings. Thanks Josh

UPDate   I found the files and turned them off. Now I have your beautiful airport to use. I am missing a few things like no cars in the parking lot .

Update 2    I got it looking good and got my car traffic back,Orbx Lights, palm trees and navy boats, but still have photo real in the Downtown area. All the rest of San Diego is good to go. I even re activated the POI and I get them too.

Which Poi have you activated?

Archived