JV has convinced me

boetie

The time has come to jump from FSX to P3D. I spend more time trying to get FSX performing adequately than actually flying. I am going to start from scratch and delete both FSX and all Orbx goodies. At the moment I have everything installed on a 1Tb SSD. I also still have my old 500gig HDD lying dormant in my case and would like to utilise it again. Suggestions please in lay mans terms on how to set up my software and hardware so that I can spend more time in the sky :)

Hi,

Personally, I would put the Os on the HDD in this case, and have SSD drive just for FS, normally it is the other way around, usually the Os would go in a small SSD drive like 120 or 250G. Also whatever you decide, my biggest suggestion is to keep FS out of Program Files. For example, C/P3D or D/P3D or something like that. 

Hi Richard just querying  "and have SSD drive just for FS, normally it is the other way around". Why would one not follow the Norm in this particular case?

I have also read that it is best to keep FSX and/or P3D away from default Pograms File x86 folder; would you know why that is so?

Cheers Dan

The reason not to install FSX in Program File x86 is to avoid the additional security windows applies to entries there. It can block changes that some addon's require because it believes they could be malicious code. I believe Richard is suggesting you put your OS on HDD because of the size of your SSD which will allow your FSX to load faster and a lot of the space would not be used by your operating system. This is a guess on my part, when SSD first arrived on the scene a number of PC suppliers put in 60 gb drives to speed up load time of OS, this gave some people problems later as temp files required to install windows 10 were too large to fit on them, if you have cash to spare a 120 or 250 GB SSD for your operating system will give you the best of both worlds

Boetie

Would you please update me on how the change to PD3 goes , and your thoughts on how you like it ... I also plan to change at some point but have been waiting for all the bugs to be ironed out .

Regards

Hi,

My suggestion is : buy a 250 GB SSD (min) and put only the OS on this one, and your sim on your actual 1 TB SSD. Use your 500 GB HDD to save your downloaded softwares, photos and videos.  If you are playing other games on your PC, my suggestion is to buy a bigger SSD for your OS (and games).

16 hours ago, boetie said:

...I am going to start from scratch and delete both FSX and all Orbx goodies. 

Are you going to only delete all sim files or reinstall Windows  ?

Mike

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:16 PM, Richard Lincoln said:

Hi,

Personally, I would put the Os on the HDD in this case, and have SSD drive just for FS, normally it is the other way around, usually the Os would go in a small SSD drive like 120 or 250G. Also whatever you decide, my biggest suggestion is to keep FS out of Program Files. For example, C/P3D or D/P3D or something like that. 

Hopefully without stepping on Richard’s toes, here’s an alternate but perhaps more awkward way around the permissions problem when using the default install location that is quite useful for me.  You can do it at any time as need arises, or right after installation. Right click on the main sim folder … or a sub folder of your choice, choose Properties, click the Security tab and then click ‘Edit’.   Click your user account (not System or Administrator). In the lower portion of the tab, click ‘Full control’ and then click OK. That’s it.

For my purposes this is quite handy because I can give myself or other programs permission to modify only the folders I need access to or other programs need access to and it prevents me from accidentally messing up folders that I want pristine…. Like my Orbx folder! I can still modify these files, but I have to think about it. :)

Running the OS from an HDD results in painfully long boot times and generally slow operation when doing anything in the OS (launching programs etc.).

You can always partition the SSD if you want the OS and sim on different drive letters for whatever reason.

Personally I'd just install the sim under C:\Prepar3D v3 or similar to get around the permission/UAC problems.

On 2/13/2017 at 3:56 AM, JimmiG said:

Running the OS from an HDD results in painfully long boot times and generally slow operation when doing anything in the OS (launching programs etc.).

You can always partition the SSD if you want the OS and sim on different drive letters for whatever reason.

Personally I'd just install the sim under C:\Prepar3D v3 or similar to get around the permission/UAC problems.

This effectively sums up what I would have said.  If you can avoid having anything on a platter drive, all the better.  You should be able to comfortably fit your sim and the OS together just fine on a 1TB SSD, and that's what I would strongly recommend.  FS performance will be at least somewhat affected if your OS is on a platter drive, as OS-type things that need to happen because of preemption and the like are going to have some iowait that'll impact flightsim at least somewhat, not to mention quintupling your boot time.

-stefan

Having put in a 500 SSD "C drive" in my recently built new system I'm already regretting that I didn't purchase a 1TB SSD straight up as my payware scenery files and airports (nearly all ORBX) are taking up a lot of room and I'm down to less than 80Gb available at the moment..

I'm shortly going to purchase an additional 1TB SSD and use this exclusively  for FS and leave Windows on the C: drive.

For what it's worth, I have my OS on a 256GB M.2 NVME SSD, which is preposterously fast and my computer goes from powered off to windows login in a couple seconds.  I then have a 512MB SSD dedicated to Flightsim, and a 512MB SSD for other programs.  90% of this computer's use is for Flightsim or various Truck Simulators, though.

-stefan

Thanks for all your feedback and suggestions. As I am doing a complete reinstall of everything (including Windows} I've decided to purchase another smaller SSD for the OS. I might even wait a bit to see if the rumours of a new version of P3D are true. Thanks again.

I have two PC's. One has OS on HD the other on SSD. The latter is sooo much quicker. Can't see why a HD would be used for OS if you have SSD considering we use that more than anything else.

Kind Regards
Simon

• 4 weeks later...

I partitioned my Samsung 500 GB SSD into my C: drive for the OS and a K: drive for flight sim. Works great. You are defeating the purpose of the SSD by putting your OS on an HDD.

What I've been doing is installing and even re-installing programs that would normally install to C: Program Files, to a separate HDD. The programs don't need to be on your C: drive. They could care less. It's just the default. Make a folder called Program Files on your separate HDD and install to there when installing, or even re-installing, to free up some precious SSD space. Save that SSD space for your OS and Sim files.

Nick Cooper turned me on to that little trick. Thanks Nick. I'm paying attention.:)

• 4 weeks later...
On 19 March 2017 at 5:22 AM, Mikelab6 said:

OMG ! Wow ! Killer PC....  You will be up to date for a while.. Waiting for some feedback, once everything will be up and running..

Mike

Well I'm happy to say I'm up and running slowly getting everything installed. So far I'm amazed at the eye candy I get with sliders to the right and getting 50fps locked at 50. It will undoubtedly do way more. It does drop down to about 35fps in heavily built up areas. I still don't have any complex aircraft up and running. My main issue at the moment is getting my Saitek pro instrument panels and Goflight MCP Pro to work. I'll get there. Right now I am in awe of the beautiful Orbx scenery in all its glory.

Archived