Round the world flight

Jack Sawyer

My friend in the UK has been fascinated for a long time with the race from London to Melbourne, forget which year.  I have a map he sent me.  So he's making it in the Connie and he convinced me.  So I started from KATL and am currently heading to KBOS then across the pond to London for the flight.

Orbx everything - AS16 - Adam's latest 20_01 PTA

But first, some 65S shots, inspired by Roger's discovery.

Baked Connie!

VSDvonu.jpg

mQNV9ag.jpg

UPLtAKN.jpg

1qVPfbk.jpg

q9gz6IG.jpg

GMwtpMC.jpg

Passing Atlanta

Om8cak9.jpg

EjCAqv5.jpg

2 hours ago, RJ said:

Stupefying images! :)

Thanks RJ!

46 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Lovely shots mainly the two last ones.

Voyager

Thanks Voyager!

5 minutes ago, Stillwater said:

Are you sure you want to cross the oceans with a 3-engined plane?

Lol!  Better than a single engine one.

One thing I learned today Gerold, this can get boring in a hurry.

Ivstopped in Kentucky to go for a hike as it's an insane 70+F today!

Anyway, my VAS was only 700 MB left!

No wonder I like low and slow, I was in all clouds with AS16 which destroyed my FPS, 11-30!

So I shut it off and the scenery with Adam's preset was gorgeous.

Will post some later....

Just now, Stillwater said:

700 MB sound more than enough for me... just using some Orbx scenery, an add-on airport and a PMDG plane you can easily get unter that figure... 64 bit will be THE game changer.

But I prolly wouldn't have made it to Boston.

And 64 bit sure will be nice but won't it make all out hangars inop?

Some planes I have the companies are out if business and you know they'll charge again.

Dont think I can handle that.

2 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

And 64 bit sure will be nice but won't it make all out hangars inop?

Some planes I have the companies are out if business and you know they'll charge again.

Dont think I can handle that.

I am totally with you. Most simmers have spent a fortune in the past 11 years, since FSX was released. And we all will not spend the same amount if some company requires - it would just result in a reduction of overall sales. At least we have seen some companies making the move to P3D without charging their customers (which keeps me buying there, even with 64 bit at the horizon).

I have a feeling Mr. V who seems to be a sensible guy wouldn't charge again because I read somewhere that it's not too difficult to make scenery 64 bit ready.  But I agree.  I spent who knows how much money on planes.  Heck, I don't even want to add it up.

I doubt there's an easy to port them to 64.  So I'd stay with P3D 32 then slowly exit the hobby

2 hours ago, Wakashi said:

Monumental undertaking there Jack!  Good luck and send more pics back home.  BTW, I have a fix for 65S if you're interested.

Thanks Roger, I just had to try it and see what happened.  My A2A needed an overhaul but what the heck, it's just a test.  And no thanks!  I LOVE it the way it is.  It's like an Easter egg.  It only happens on heli pad West.  I think it's cool!

1 hour ago, VH-KDK said:

Excellent shots Jack especially the last one.

Like you I have spent so much on this stuff over the last 9 years to make such a big change, so here I stay:)

Thanks Martyn!  Yeah, I'd be very sad if I had no VAS limits but default P3D planes.  Ever look at them?  Rubbish!

53 minutes ago, Ken Hall said:

good luck Jack,

and an awesome choice of aircraft, keep us posted mate

cheers

Ken

Thanks Ken, it's a cool contest.  Back in 1936, London to Melbourne.  It was a huge deal back then.

25 minutes ago, Bermuda425 said:

Crackerjack shotz Jack ;) The last one is super realistic in my eyes!

Thanks Erik!  I liked it too.  I had many more but will post a few later.  Adam's preset really changes things a lot compared to his last few versions.  This one really shows blue haze in the distance.  I like it.

2 hours ago, tom2rific said:

take care with that Connie Jack...you have a long flight ahead of you ....

..will look for you in the skies when you reach "down under"    :)

Thanks Tom, yes, I've been having some goofy fun but this is a very serious, study level aircraft.  I have a great deal of respect for the guys who flew them back then.  No GPS like we have, rudimentary ADF and VOR.  It was a different world back then though, more refined, more elegant.  

It will take me a while to get there but I wanna do it.  It's interesting to recreate history in the sim.  Fun too!

2 minutes ago, adambar said:

Great pyrotechnics there Jack. :D  Outstanding shots and goodluck on your journey! :)

Thanks Adam.  Roger discovered this cool feature.  I love it.  When you have an aircraft or anything there.  I haven't tried the avatar yet there's a hole where sparks come flying out.  It's pretty neat.

Thanks, it's gonna be a long journey.

Tonight I made a nice flight in my new Corvalis, gonna post some shots later.  It was a low ceiling, rainy flight but I loved it.  Flew from Lake Tahoe to KBLU.

4 hours ago, Jack Sawyer said:

It only happens on heli pad West.  I think it's cool!

Well, that's not the only place it happens, head to the highway from heli pad 2 (in a car is good), turn left toward the airport and when you cross the bridge over the river you will get scorched close to the end of the far side! :rolleyes:

Archived