I forgot...

Stillwater

... to complete my recent GEN tour, it seemed to be ending in Kassel-Calden. But, with no commercial traffic left, that airport is way too boring to stay for a flight enthusiast, so I went on to Göttingen...

2016-11-7_21-5Gottingen.jpg

... and along the southern rim of the Harz to Nordhausen. An unspeakable part of history is linked to this village: Nearby was the Nazi concentration camp Mittelbau-Dora, where the V-1 and V-2 rockets were built in subterranean facilities. The V-2 is claimed to be the only weapon where more people were killed building it than during its use. At least a memorial tries to keep us remembering. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mittelbau-Dora 

2016-11-7_21-13Mittelbau-Dora.jpg
2016-11-7_21-14-53-669.jpg

More positive is the history of Wittenberg, it is now 499 years ago that Martin Luther published his theses for reformation of churches at the church of this city. Maybe we get a LutherFlow next year? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther 

2016-11-7_21-21Wittenberg.jpg

Crossing the highest point of northern Germany, the Brocken...

2016-11-7_21-24Brocken.jpg

... to Goslar...

2016-11-7_21-26Goslar.jpg

... and Hahnenklee, some people even try to do skiing here.

2016-11-7_21-27Hahnenklee.jpg

But it might be more convenient to visit the stave church.

2016-11-7_21-28Church.jpg

Just a very short hop from the Harz to this beautiful city. You have to guess which.

2016-11-7_21-41Hannover.jpg
2016-11-7_21-47EDDV.jpg

Thanky you, @Voyager, @RJ and @gumbypickett!

12 hours ago, Bermuda425 said:

Nummer Eins Pictures to your hometown!

Fortunately I can never decide on only one picture for a trip report, so you always need to see more.

7 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Exceedingly enjoyable travelogue Gerold, great narration.

More fascinating history too, interesting reading.

I try to keep up with you. Astonishing how little inspiration one needs for long reading.

17 minutes ago, scottharmes6 said:

Great set Gerold.  I was just in your neck of the woods last night too.

Virtual or real? Come over for a cold one (or better for a warm wine with the winter coming)...

18 minutes ago, scottharmes6 said:

BTW, I like your RAAF paint.

I have to apologize for capturing the Aussie plane, I did not find an appropriate German paint.

15 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Virtual or real? Come over for a cold one (or better for a warm wine with the winter coming)...

I have to apologize for capturing the Aussie plane, I did not find an appropriate German paint.

Hi Gerold,

No just in P3D unfortunately.  I landed and took off at EDDV a few times, just touring the area slowly.  Well, not that slowly, I was in an Epic Victory that night.  No apologies necessary for the paint, I really like it.  I'm sure it's just a RAAF trainee on a navigation exercise ;).

Cheers,

19 hours ago, BradB said:

I forgot to comment yesterday , darn senior moments . Anyway smashing tour and shots as always Gerold . :D:D

Cheers

John

Thanks John, no need to apologize for commenting later than usual, sometimes RL can be as interesting (I was told).

14 hours ago, scottharmes6 said:

Hi Gerold,

No just in P3D unfortunately.  I landed and took off at EDDV a few times, just touring the area slowly.  Well, not that slowly, I was in an Epic Victory that night.  No apologies necessary for the paint, I really like it.  I'm sure it's just a RAAF trainee on a navigation exercise ;).

Cheers,

An Epic vehicle. Enjoy GEN, I think every new region gets new features.

Archived