OrbxDirect and FTXCv3 FAQ - add feedback here

John Venema

2 hours ago, stewart1 said:

Just a short Question I have 18  orbx regions and 66 orbx airport plus fs global , open  lc Europe , open lc America and vector will it take long to migrate my products ,

And will I have to it my self regards stewart  

If your products are already installed and you make an OrbxDirect account, then transfer the licenses, there is no further action necessary. The products installed will continue working as before. At some date in the future if you choose to reinstall products all that is necessary to do is a new download via FTX Central.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, stewart1 said:

Just a short Question I have 18  orbx regions and 66 orbx airport plus fs global , open  lc Europe , open lc America and vector will it take long to migrate my products ,

And will I have to it my self regards stewart  

It's not a migration, it's just an electronic license transfer. It's almost instant, you need to follow the procedure we publish this weekend.

"You can use FSS for your existing products and create an OrbxDirect account for any new products (should you choose to purchase them). It's not a "you must pick one" situation.

You can have your cake and eat it too :) "

Ben, I did not want to alienate myself from Orbx, and  what you just suggested is exactly what I want to do, but I have not seen that info anywhere else.. Can you point me to that please? and thank you for your input..Teecee.

1 hour ago, BladderBoy said:

Teecee, do you get charged per MB for bandwidth usage? Just wondering what costs you would incur from this.

Cheers.

No Fiber optics here BB.. just the old fashioned wire..and yes, once a small monthly limit is reached I pay by the MB.. not too good, but it's all that is available.. our city had the opportunity to go to fiber optics, but not enough people were interested, so we missed out..Teecee.

I think it would be worth your time to quickly produce a youtube demonstration video.  Sometimes people have to see things to fully grasp them.

In fact, you could actually run two of them -- life after electronic migration WITH the Orbx store, or life after migration, remaining 'as is' with FSS.

No major concerns here, but just a suggestion -- this might be useful, provided you post enough conspicuous links to it.

hello Ben,

There is one thing I don't understand, but maybe you can explain.

when central V3 comes out , will we receive then a green bar in central V2 to update to V3 ?

or must we separately download this version and install it over V2, 

because when there is no Orbxdirect account created and V2 is updated to V3  what will happen then ?

thanks for your comments

I also have monthly data cap of 1GB and am not on fibre, wire or wi-fi connections.

So my Q1 Can I download my installs from a public Library, internet cafe or friends computer using a usb stick and then install on my computer but use my vodem stick to activate thus saving on bandwidth ?

Q2 Recently I was able to cross-grade the two ORBX boxed DVD's with FSS which gave an activation code but have not downloaded yet.  Would these still transfer to new system ?

Q3 Having now all my Orbx products with activation codes with FSS, should this be a seemless tranfer or is there any other things I need to attend too before the due date?

Kind regards Bruce

4 hours ago, John Venema said:

Regarding DVDs, please read the FAQ more carefully:

Q15 What about all my boxed DVD products I have on the shelf? How can I convert or crossgrade them to digital licenses?

A15 We will be offering a DVD-to-digital cross grade service from OrbxDirect very soon, we have hired an admin staff to handle these requests and there will be a dedicated email address you will use to send proof of DVD ownership etc. More information soon!

John -  I wasn't talking about the cross grade offer and that doesn't seem to answer my question.  FSS would send your purchases on a DVD for a small fee.  This would help people like TeeCee who might not have sufficient bandwidth available to download 100 Gigabytes or more.  It would help anyone with slow internet which is actually quite common in the U.S. ...unfortunately.  If not DVD's, then maybe 32Gig flash drives. they're pretty cheap these days.

and thanks for answering my other question.

1 hour ago, Ripcord said:

I think it would be worth your time to quickly produce a youtube demonstration video.  Sometimes people have to see things to fully grasp them.

In fact, you could actually run two of them -- life after electronic migration WITH the Orbx store, or life after migration, remaining 'as is' with FSS.

No major concerns here, but just a suggestion -- this might be useful, provided you post enough conspicuous links to it.

It's not a migration, it's a license transfer. A quick digital process.

We will be producing videos for using FTXCv3, the store, license transfers and more.

26 minutes ago, sim123 said:

when central V3 comes out , will we receive then a green bar in central V2 to update to V3 ?

or must we separately download this version and install it over V2, 

because when there is no Orbxdirect account created and V2 is updated to V3  what will happen then ?

The download will be separate on launch day, but we'll be integrating it into FTX Central v2 shortly after launch (a box will pop up asking "do you want to upgrade to FTX Central v3?").

If you do not have an OrbxDirect account, FTX Central v3 will still work fine, here's what it will look like:

kJ2TNOF.png

18 minutes ago, napier said:

I also have monthly data cap of 1GB and am not on fibre, wire or wi-fi connections.

So my Q1 Can I download my installs from a public Library, internet cafe or friends computer using a usb stick and then install on my computer but use my vodem stick to activate thus saving on bandwidth ?

Q2 Recently I was able to cross-grade the two ORBX boxed DVD's with FSS which gave an activation code but have not downloaded yet.  Would these still transfer to new system ?

Q3 Having now all my Orbx products with activation codes with FSS, should this be a seemless tranfer or is there any other things I need to attend too before the due date?

Kind regards Bruce

Hi Bruce,

1. Yes, you can do this. Each product on the website will have a manual download button. This will download the full data .zip that you can feed into FTX Central (using the "install options" button on each product's page.
  2. Yes, every Orbx products in your FSS account will be transferred. 
  3. It's all seemless. We've tried to make it as easy for the end-user as possible :)

I see a lot of angst over losing backup files. Over the years I have lost my flightsim files several times, do to hard drive failures and all the usual ills that befall us. Some Orbx files have been downloaded 4 or 5 times, look at the quad installers, as we have tried to setup P3D. The root of all our fears is authentication, without FSS and now the Orbx store, all our backups are useless, this will not change. Authentication of purchase is a critical part of the Orbx business model, otherwise they would be publishing freeware, goodbye sales, goodbye Orbx. Local backup files or not, we cannot do an independent install.

Creating a full system backup, is the only way you will be able to restore your flightsim without Orbx.

I am moving to the new Orbx store, and I am one of a number of simmers who have all current Orbx scenery products. A modest vote of confidence.

PS, I am over 65 and yes I am familiar with change management for cranky old people!

This looks slicker than snot on a doorknob.

Q16 is a bit confusing to me though.  On the one hand it says once the product file is downloaded, an internet connection is not needed.  On the other hand, it makes reference to being similar to Steam.  Well, I have FSXSE and need an internet connection with Steam connected every time I want to open the sim.  Because of this I will likely go back to my box FSX on my next install even though Steam is a little better imo.  So can someone please clarify A16?

To those like TeeCee who don't have unlimited internet I feel for you.  One option that might work is to use a storage device like a portable hard drive, go to a library that has unlimited internet, download from Orbx and put the files on your storage device.  Kind of a pain but would probably work for you.

You don't need an internet connection to use our products. You don't even need an internet connection to use FTXCv3 (for example, to access airport control panels or read user guides etc).

Turn on your PC, run your sim, go fly - simple as that. Internet does not come into it.

You ONLY need an internet connection when you want to download one of your purchased licensed products from our servers, or to buy a new product. This is so FTXCv3 can 'talk' to OrbxDirect and validate your license. You'll also need an internet connection if you want to do updates of Orbx products, Orbxlibs or FTXC itself.

Going to add this answer to the FAQ.

JV opined above:  "You ONLY need an internet connection when you want to download one of your purchased licensed products from our servers, or to buy a new product." And that leads me to this..........

Do I need an internet connection to reinstall a locally-stored product previously purchased and/or installed with FTXCv3? After a reinstall of the OS? With no reinstall of the OS?  I can't believe I'm still confused about this, but it is what it is.....Thanks.....Doug

Doug

On 27/10/2016 at 5:08 AM, BladderBoy said:

John,

Since I will no longer feel the need to obsessively update, backup, and manage all of my ORBX installers, what should I do in my new-found spare time?

Cheers.

Ben, I'm quessing "go flying" will be a popular answer. Lol.

2 hours ago, Triplane said:

JV opined above:  "You ONLY need an internet connection when you want to download one of your purchased licensed products from our servers, or to buy a new product." And that leads me to this..........

Do I need an internet connection to reinstall a locally-stored product previously purchased and/or installed with FTXCv3? After a reinstall of the OS? With no reinstall of the OS?  I can't believe I'm still confused about this, but it is what it is.....Thanks.....Doug

Doug

Yes of course, FTXCv3 needs an internet connection to validate your license, as I've oft repeated now. This is required whether downloading from our servers or re-installing from a backup - no license information is kept with the backup, it's all on our servers.

Looks like progress to the changed business model is going smoothly and congratulations to Ben for what looks like yet another great version of Central.

Having read and re-read at Q&A topic and this one I have just a few points I would like to have clarified please.

- I do most of my browsing and purchasing via an iPad, then log-on and download later on Fsim PC. Will this method still work?
- After all FSS licences have been transfered and a full disc copy of a fsim drive install has been made and restored, will it be recognised by FTX:c3?
- I use a download manager, will this method still work if I decide to do a separate zip download?
- I note the comment about email handling at FSS during the transfer process, assuming they still operate with one staff member and every Orbx purchaser (how many thousands are there) has to negotiate their transfer via email this could end up with a massive backlog. 

Just found your post, John regarding this #21

"It's almost instant. The only thing that may take time is your interaction with the FSS website and the exchange of confirmation emails etc. But it's generally a painless and quick process."

Cheers Anton.

1 hour ago, antonvs said:

- I do most of my browsing and purchasing via an iPad, then log-on and download later on Fsim PC. Will this method still work?
- After all FSS licences have been transfered and a full disc copy of a fsim drive install has been made and restored, will it be recognised by FTX:c3?
- I use a download manager, will this method still work if I decide to do a separate zip download?

- Yes, you can buy on iPad and download on PC, no problem.

- Yes, FTXCv3 scans the ORBX folder and shows all products installed.

- Yes you can use a DLM to grab the single ZIP file

Can't wait for this and reinstall my sim :)

Just a question: if we start from scratch, FTX Central V3 will be a separate program that we will download to install in order to install -again- all my orbx sceneries? Because, AFAIK, FTX Central comes with the libraries.

Also, the ORBX Direct account will be linked with the one on the forums? :) 

On 2016-10-27 at 11:30 AM, fltsimguy said:

LOOKING TO THE FUTURE

I know folks don't want to think of the no win scenario. No this is not morbid. Meaning, heaven forbid, Flightsim Store folds up (ie the owners die in a car crash or whatever) and relatives shut her down, and/or Orbx closes business for whatever reason (John Venema wins a lottery and says he's fed up with the flightsim business). Its very real, its a possibility...just ask a couple of my recently passed neighbours both 66 yrs of age.  Company's come and go at all levels and so do people and Orbx is all people. One outfit closes shop and licenses are what...lost. Or both close shop, then what.

What happens to us living, flightsim folks and our $1,000+ (more like $5,000) installs when we upgrade our PC or whatever.  How will folks continue to enjoy flightsim fully loaded.  Do the licenses die with the businesses and/or owners? This question has started to bother me because I invested in an expensive PC upgrade recently and I have bazillions of $$ in download software.

May I ask this question another way?

I know its not something that is contemplated at this moment nor top of the mind but when Orbx has decided to no longer do flightsim business, will they release online authentication for all its products? In my view there should be a succession plan. I look no further than FSGenesis and Justin Tyme and that fiasco as an example.

A lot of the new info coming out about the new OrbxDirect and transferring the Licenses of the products I already have. I'm having trouble digesting all the new info and what to do when it's time.

I'm wanting to do the whole process going to the new OrbxDirect and or the new OrbxDirect website and transferring all the product licenses I currently have at the same time without mistakes. I'm going to need some extra assistance completing everything required, when the time comes. If the current fullterrain.com website goes down on 1 Nov. I won't have any means of communicating and asking for more assistance, such as here on the forums pages etc. I have a whole lot of orbx products currently installed. I don't know how I'm going to transfer all those licenses, without errors?.

I'm hoping my current FTX Central, will show some of what I'll need to do etc.

When the current website goes down on 1 Nov. Where will the new Orbx forums pages be located, and what Orbx website will have the forums pages, so to speak.

THX

GrayRider

8 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

Not sure if I can say this, (NDAs and all that) but you're gonna love V3. :)

There you have it everyone! If that old fart Ron (as he has named himself in another forum) likes it you'll all like it :D

I really do not understand all the anxiety about this major step forward.

I may have missed it in the Q&A, but is there an option, in case of a complete reinstall, to download and install all purchased products at once?

16 hours ago, fltsimguy said:

May I ask this question another way?

I know its not something that is contemplated at this moment nor top of the mind but when Orbx has decided to no longer do flightsim business, will they release online authentication for all its products? In my view there should be a succession plan. I look no further than FSGenesis and Justin Tyme and that fiasco as an example.

I don't seem to see an answer these questions yet?   I would like to know this before I burn my bridges with the FSS wrappers.

Archived