OrbxDirect and FTXCv3 FAQ - add feedback here

John Venema

2 minutes ago, borisvp said:

Greetings,

I cannot find the region switcher in FTXC3 - has it become obsolete? (I think I have read that somewhere,,,)

If so - how does region change work now?

Regards

Boris

Region switcher has been obsolete since FTX Central V2 ;) It's all handled automagically now :)

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, J van E said:

Can't check it right now (I am on an iPad) but in Windows go to Start and copy or type %Temp%\Orbx in to search bar, hit Enter and that folder will open. It simply is some sort of hidden but quick way to get there. You can also only type %Temp% to see everything that is in the Temp folder. Which usually is a lot and which usually can be deleted.

J van E,

thanks for that bit of info, now I know how to find those esoteric location refered to that way.  Unfortunately the folder it calls up contains .jpg files and two .JSON Files.

I'm hoping there is a way I can back up the downloads I have already finished over the past two days????

53 minutes ago, borisvp said:

V2? V2 has a switcher. I suppose you mean V3... 

But - when I switch to V3 (haven't done yet) and leave my installation unchanged, how will it work now without switching when switching was needed before?

Boris

V2.1 doesn't/didn't have the switcher.  Your question is easily answered by JV's post concerning the Unified Lookup feature.

Here's his announcement: 

Small suggestion:

If possible, please consider adding a sticky link to the new FTXCv3 FAQ thread in the official "Support" sub-forum!

I had a question re the DVD versions after buying a disc at the Cosford show, and (naturally) went looking for the answer in the "Support > FTX > FAQs" sub-forum (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/25-faq-answers-to-frequently-asked-questions-here/), but only stumbled on my answer in the new FAQ in the "General Discussion" forum after making several searches of the whole forum for various phrases.

I realise the FTXCv3 FAQ doesn't strictly fit under the "Payware FTX products" support forum as you don't need to buy anything to use it, but hopefully you can see some kind of logic to my idea :)

Regards,

Martyn

I have already transferred all my FSS licences account to OrbxDirect. I find those DVD conversion to download type airports/regions are shown in the FTXCv3 but I cannot perform the recent update process through the FTXCv3.

8 hours ago, Martyn said:

Small suggestion:

If possible, please consider adding a sticky link to the new FTXCv3 FAQ thread in the official "Support" sub-forum!

I had a question re the DVD versions after buying a disc at the Cosford show, and (naturally) went looking for the answer in the "Support > FTX > FAQs" sub-forum (http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/forum/25-faq-answers-to-frequently-asked-questions-here/), but only stumbled on my answer in the new FAQ in the "General Discussion" forum after making several searches of the whole forum for various phrases.

I realise the FTXCv3 FAQ doesn't strictly fit under the "Payware FTX products" support forum as you don't need to buy anything to use it, but hopefully you can see some kind of logic to my idea :)

Regards,

Martyn

Always get into the habit of checking the General Discussion forum for sticky posts containing announcements. If we want to get a message out that is the forum in which we do it. It should be your first port of call if you want to know any company policy changes or suspect something has changed. That has been how we do things for a decade ;)

Yes it's coming very soon, we are still working on many aspects of the new store. I am sure that for now though you can use this map which lists absolute everything we've made including 500+ freeware airports:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16TLldaoxxmFv7wOWfYyM8zV-bgM&ll=-3.81666561775622e-14%2C-146.42578025&z=2

I've just updated to V3. Had a look around and seems a lot more tidy and straight forward. I like how owned products and option to purchase is all in one spot plus updates. Orbxlibs for example is so much easier these days to update. I've not had much opportunity to flight sim in recent times but this helps me. Thanks.

On 01/11/2016 at 8:23 PM, John Venema said:

I think folks are making a major incorrect assumption about the license transfer. It does not mean you need to re-download anything at all. It's just a transfer of the proof of purchase, not the actual installer files.

Thanks John. I think I could have been clearer. I know re-downloading is not part of the transfer process, but that we do face it if we need to reinstall after transferring FSS to the new OrbxDirect. 

"A4 You don’t have to, it’s completely up to you. However, all customers wanting to purchase new Orbx addons, and download updates for existing Orbx addons previously purchased from FSS will need to transfer their Orbx licenses from their FSS accounts to OrbxDirect. "

-and-

" A20 If you have NOT yet transferred your FSS licenses to Orbx, you can still use your archived FSS installers. If you HAVE transferred your licenses the FSS installers will no longer work and you will need to re-download all the Orbx products from our CDN or direct server again. "

That's clear enough. Don't transfer old products, miss out on updates, and on new purchases. But the choice is ours.

As I think I mentioned, I am about to reinstall FSX in a new computer. If I don't transfer my FSS purchases, I can just reinstall all my Orbx software from backups and purchased discs. I would like to think that I could then set up on OrbxDirect and FTXcv3 and it would pick up what I have already installed, and update it. That would make life even simpler for the user, and that simplicity seems to be the selling point of this whole project. It would even be easier for me to tell you - or type into a form - my purchase keys, than do all that downloading for something I already have.

Unfortunately, I don't pick up that this is what will happen. I will miss out on updates if I reinstall the old stuff first and, according to A4 - above - I also need to have done the transfer if I want to make any other purchases. BUT if I transfer BEFORE reinstalling, I do face a ton of downloading, as I read it.

It looks like support is only provided for installations from a backup "previously saved with the 'create a backup for later' option."

I know, part of the deal is to safeguard you in case I'm using pirated Orbx stuff, but I don't have any. I'm just a grumpy old paying customer who does not like having to jump through hoops because of the sins of others.  (I see the new system is compared to Steam - I stopped buying Steam products years ago, because of the hoops).

I can see a lot of benefit in all this, now I am clear that I can opt to keep local backups of everything. However, though we "don't have to" transfer our FSS info, if we don't, all we bought before, which at the time came with the ability to update, is no longer updated, and (to my surprise - do you really mean this?) we can't buy any more Orbx products. (It says as much in A4 - "...all customers wanting to purchase new Orbx addons and download updates...will need to transfer their Orbx licenses from their FSS accounts to OrbxDirect.")

If old-style installation was recognised and accepted, this issue would go away, and all would be fine.

As I think I mentioned, I am about to reinstall FSX in a new computer. If I don't transfer my FSS purchases, I can just reinstall all my Orbx software from backups and purchased discs. I would like to think that I could then set up on OrbxDirect and FTXcv3 and it would pick up what I have already installed, and update it. That would make life even simpler for the user, and that simplicity seems to be the selling point of this whole project. It would even be easier for me to tell you - or type into a form - my purchase keys, than do all that downloading for something I already have.

That is the best plan is a re-install is imminent, yes.

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

Yes it's coming very soon, we are still working on many aspects of the new store. I am sure that for now though you can use this map which lists absolute everything we've made including 500+ freeware airports:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=16TLldaoxxmFv7wOWfYyM8zV-bgM&ll=-3.81666561775622e-14%2C-146.42578025&z=2

Yeah that was the map i was looking for thanks.

Hope I'm in the right place.  I registered for a new account, but did not receive an e-mail so I can validate.  I tried to re-submit, but it came up that my e-mail address was already taken (well, I would expect that)

Can you tell me what to do?

Thanks

I made the change over to Orbx some hours after the update was released, and was unlucky enough to be among those that had problems.. Central3 just would not run, I posted a couple of comments, and entered a ticket seeking help..I have heard nothing to date.so I reverted to V2.

At this time I can not get any of the updates that are available on V3. I believe I am now a client of Orbx re purchasing, but not sure.

Can I get some help on this please.. Teecee.

PS: I read that a fix for the problem was in the offing..Any idea when this may happen?

7 hours ago, John Venema said:

Always get into the habit of checking the General Discussion forum for sticky posts containing announcements. If we want to get a message out that is the forum in which we do it. It should be your first port of call if you want to know any company policy changes or suspect something has changed. That has been how we do things for a decade ;)

Thanks for the reply John.

It may be how you have done things for a decade, but (in my humble opinion) a "General Discussion" forum would never be my first port of call for announcements or issues (especially when separate sub-forums exist for those topics), and I dare say the same is true for other users, especially new users. So just a thought to consider. You're well within your rights to do things as you've always done, and I'm not too fussed either way. I shall try to remember for future. I believe you strongly welcome customer feedback so that's why I posted :)

I've since noticed that the new FAQ is linked from the OrbxDirect/FTXCv3 sub-forum, right under the "Support for FTX Payware/FAQ" sub-forums; I just didn't spot it last night.

Anyway, the new FTXCv3 and centralised product licence management is fantastic, so well done to you all! B)

Kind regards,

Martyn

18 hours ago, Stewart Hobson said:

V2.1 doesn't/didn't have the switcher. 

Well, mine has (2.1.6060.39190). Do I have to update to the latest version (if so, then how) before switching to V3? I also missed out a couple of updates for Global and some of my airports. Will this have an effect on switching to V3 or will it do all the necessary updating?

And what about airports which have a new installer at FSS (example: 74S has 1.05 at FSS, while I still have 1.00) - should I update these with the FSS installer before switching over to V3?

Boris

Here's a question I feel is important to ask:

How secure is FTX Central v3 now?

In the past, FTXC just handled the organization of ORBX content as well as alerting the user of updates and downloading them for the user, but now, FTXC3 is a real game changer, incorporating the ability to "buy and fly", so as it goes with everyone else who sells products online, how secure is it and does ORBX have strong, secure resources in place to protect users info?

I only ask because after allowing the transfer of all of my ORBX content licenses to ORBX, it's a huge leap of faith now (and I didn't realize just how much I have purchased from ORBX over the years).  I know that FTXC3 will be a great deterrent against pirates, but for us honest folks, I'm sure they would agree that for what we have spent in licensing, that it stays safe and secure.

Here's my current feedback.

Thumbs up so far for FTXC ver 3.  Quickly finished some new updates at light speed, at least for me who is used to prehistoric internet speed.  I also love the way it looks.

A suggestion box, word or letter limited, as we know some people love to ramble on and on and on, ad infinitum...

An FTX developed "linking software or application", which would allow alternative ORBX scenery locations, for extra HD utilization.  Don't know if it's practical. 

15 hours ago, John Venema said:

That is the best plan is a re-install is imminent, yes.

Thanks again John, especially for your patience. I am trying desperately not to keep on this but I understand from your approval that I can reinstall all I have the old way, then go to FTXcv3 and OrbxDirect, and it will recognise and accept my already-installed purchases?
I am ecstatic if it does. I can readily migrate my very recent purchases and accept the consequences if I need to reinstall those (I just realised I've spent about $500 in the last month on Orbx, preparing to reinstall!)
The "old stuff" comprises purchases between about 2012 and 2014 (totalling a ballpark figure of over $1300, I reckon, so I don't want to lose the use of, or the support for, those!).
I stopped when boxed copies stopped, because of living in an internet black spot which made big downloads impossible. That changed fairly recently and brought me back to FSX and Orbx.

In that period, I have changed email addresses three or four times and have no clue as to which I used or which of my passwords applied, so I  recently I just opened a new account at FSS. All that by way of saying that transferring my older Orbx electronically from FSS ain't a thing I believe I can arrange.
Given post 173 above, have I therefore got it right? The plan would be (1) to reinstall what I have manually, then (2) set up FTXcv3 and OrbxDirect, and transfer my very recent FSS purchases, then (3) transfer my FSS purchases of the last few weeks. That done, will the old installations, which will then be in place, be recognised, or is there a way I confirm purchase (referring to the product keys or whatever)?
I am optimistic. If I have a correct understanding, I hope I can stop worrying now. :)

3 hours ago, johnfromoz said:

I am trying desperately not to keep on this but I understand from your approval that I can reinstall all I have the old way, then go to FTXcv3 and OrbxDirect, and it will recognise and accept my already-installed purchases?

Yes, that's correct :)

The way I see it, there are three potential paths an Orbx customer could take:

Path A - don't use OrbxDirect

This path is the easiest - just do nothing. Your FSS installers will continue to work, FTX Central v2 will continue to work, and everything will be the same as it was on October 31. 

You will not be able to purchase any new Orbx products and you will not be able to download any new updates (e.g., the updates to the EU regions that add the new night lighting)

Path B - transfer everything to OrbxDirect

If you choose to transfer everything, your FSS installers will no longer work. You will be able to buy new products and install new updates (i.e., updates that were released after October 31).

Path C - hybrid

Create an OrbxDirect account, but keep all your existing purchases at FSS.

You'll be able to purchase new products, but you won't be able to download new updates for existing products.

Also remember that you can upgrade to FTX Central v3 without an OrbxDirect account

Thank you Ben, a tidy and encouraging answer. Obviously, I can (and will) transfer my recent purchases.
I can no longer access (at FSS) my 2012-2014 purchases - including the boxed versions - so cannot transfer them. Obviously I won't be able to update those (unless at some future stage it becomes possible to input the keys, or something). Fortunately I d/l'd an update for YMML just before the change. I can probably live with all that.
I just noticed (in my old-fashioned signature below) I bought some boxed products through PC Aviator. What's the position with those? I vaguly recall some issue about PCAv years ago, but we bought them in good faith.
Appreciate all your advice and patience!

I like the new system but I have a question about the scenery library  it got changed around so ozx is no longer at the top

does the scenery library order even matter anymore with the new bgl lookup  ? also if I want to fly say only in Australia can I untick all my other scenery's in the library without causing a problem? will that help performance ?  

thanks  

In trying to update several of my ORBX airport products on the new FTX Central  I get a message that says "I do not have access to this build" 

How do I update these when there is a red flag about the airport that says "update available"?

JOHN

Purchase Page & Shopping Cart

Any chance in the future you folks could look at a drop down price converter.  Many other stores offer this option, which is very helpful.

IE purchase cost in Canadian, US, Euros, Pound Sterling etc?

Maybe I don't understand some of these details but are purchases based on AUS$ directly or are they first converted to US$ and then when I buy with PayPal are they bought based upon CAN to US exchange rates?

Hi bvdboomen

Look for the little white cogwheel at the bottom left on opening FFXCentral

This gives you access to some tools-insertion points mainly

Vector Configuration Tool seems to have moved to the Global Vector panel displayed in FTXCentral.

Click on panel and after it opens up click on Control Panel and Vector Configuration tool appears.

I am still finding my way about the new setup-it is a bit intuitive

xxd09

Q18 In our household there is more than one member with a FSS account but using only the one sim. Will the FTXCv3 be able to switch between multiple accounts?

A18 Yes, you can log out of your account in FTXCv3 and log into another one, to allow validation of different licenses held by different accounts.

Rather than do this is there a way to consolidate 2 FSS accounts in to one shiny new OrbxDirect one?

13 hours ago, fltsimguy said:

Purchase Page & Shopping Cart

Any chance in the future you folks could look at a drop down price converter.  Many other stores offer this option, which is very helpful.

IE purchase cost in Canadian, US, Euros, Pound Sterling etc?

+1

14 hours ago, fltsimguy said:

Maybe I don't understand some of these details but are purchases based on AUS$ directly or are they first converted to US$ and then when I buy with PayPal are they bought based upon CAN to US exchange rates?

The products are charged to your card/PayPal in AUD, so the exact amount in CAN will be decided by your bank/PayPal using their exchange rate (+ any foreign transaction fees, if applicable).

We might add exchange rates directly into the website later, but it will only be an estimate

Hello Ben,

Quote   :    Path C - hybrid

Create an OrbxDirect account, but keep all your existing purchases at FSS.

You'll be able to purchase new products, but you won't be able to download new updates for existing products

There is one thing about this options that keep me busy,   how will the updates for  objectflow and new libraries in future will work when

this path is followed, will the existing FSS purchases still be working without problems?

7 minutes ago, sim123 said:

There is one thing about this options that keep me busy,   how will the updates for  objectflow and new libraries in future will work when

this path is followed, will the existing FSS purchases still be working without problems?

We can probably post the DLL's for ObjectFlow here on the forums when an update is released (remind one of us and we'll upload it).

There will be no further updates to the Orbx Libraries for people who do not make an OrbxDirect account.

Existing FSS purchases will work just as they did before OrbxDirect and FTXC3 (assuming you don't do the FSS license transfer).

1 hour ago, Ben McClintock said:

We might add exchange rates directly into the website later, but it will only be an estimate

An estimate of course but very useful. If not, one has to go to a site like XE Currency and do the conversion ourselves. I know the USD/EUR rate because they are of common use but that is not the case for the AUD in Europe. That is a nifty tool at FSS that I use every time I go there.

Same problem for me - I signed up for an Orbxdirect account about 3 hours ago but haven't received the registration email?  Is it lagging due to demand or is something else going on? Please can you manually reset for me as you did for the previous respondent, thanks or advise what to do. Cheers.

Hello Ben,

Quote   :    Path C - hybrid

Another question: As I already mentioned, my FTXC2.1 still has a region switcher. Will it still work in the hybrid mode (or will it become obsolete then)? Right now I definitely need to switch, or else Europe looks very weird when NA or OCE is set to active.

To be honest, I would like to try out the new system first with a few new purchases before transferring over all the other stuff, and above all I do not want to mess up my sim and in the end be one of the few poor creatures who "unfortunately and unpredictably encountered some problems which probably have to do with their very specific configuration" in the process.

Boris

Archived