OrbxDirect and FTXCv3 FAQ - add feedback here

John Venema

I'm an old-fart too...And I started doing "this" this morning. It's really a slick and easy process. Try it, I think you'll like it. The only "problem" I've had are really slooooooooooooooow download times. I have 100+ ORBX products and it looks like it's going to take about 30 hours to get the whole job done on a fresh FSX install. But, what the heck, what else do I have to do except watch and wait.

Doug

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Orbx Direct and FTX Central 3 is now very easy to use and I congratulate the team on their effort, it is very user friendly and easy to use, however I have one question as a 65 + aged person and client of the FlightSim Store for many years I have received a 20% discount on any Orbx product I have purchased from the store is that still available now that the purchasing of the Orbx products can only be bought through Orbx Direct.

Regards Jacob

It seems to me that the new FTX Central3 and the new website are a step backward. I used to go to the support page and download the updates. Some of them were huge files, but it seemed like in 15 or 20 minutes it downloaded so I could install.

I just installed the new FTX Central, it told me there's an update for open land class, so I started the update. Three hours (and four interuptions) later I'm still waiting for it to finish so I can install it. I'm hoping this is just because of everyone moving to the new system, but I must admit I'm pretty disappointed so far.

1 hour ago, chris85713 said:

six hours later and I've given up. Is there another way we can add the updates without using Central3?

It's probably a setting in the internet pipes between ORBX and your place, though what ISPs do with data is unfathomable.  FOr instance I've been downloading scenery items and updates through FTXC3 for weeks now, I get a consistent 650KB/s or better, which means most of the downloads come through in 20 mins to an hour.

The thing to remember is that you're downloading an update only.  You can still go flying in whatever scenery you possess, the updated features might not even be relevant to you.  So I would recommend letting FTXC3 do its thing and work around whatever bottlenecks have been put in its way by the vagaries of the internet, and just enjoy FSX or P3D for the purpose you originally installed:  flying.  Even a week without the latest update isn't really going to matter.

Hi,

I started FTXC3 migration today. So far the process was painless and well-documented.

One question, though. I installed Global Base + OpenLC EU first (and of course the libs)  and made backups. With OpenLC EU I get one file "_chka7f065bc-00dd-4a0c-82f8-7054d5c46edd.zip". However, the Base directory contrains 100 such files.

Is iths okay? Just wondering.

Kind regards, Michael

I am seeing slow downloads as well via FTX Central V3. I LOVE the UI and the idea that this application will install all of my ORBX addons, but the servers hosting these files need more bandwidth. I have a 200Mbit connection and I am barely getting 5Mb/sec for short periods of time. 

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    Same problem for me - I signed up for an Orbxdirect account yesterday but haven't received the registration email?  Is it lagging due to demand or is something else going on? Please can you manually reset for me as you did for the previous respondent, thanks or advise what to do. Cheers

Can I revert back to Version 2?

With me it's not just slow downloads - they seem to be downloading portions of it then simply stopping all progress. Open Land Class goes to 45 percent and stops there for hours. Trying the library update now, it's hung up at 48MB downloaded and hasn't moved in an hour. Even worse, I can't seem to find anything in the support forums relating to this issue.

Why is it that improvements (not just Orbx, I've got three others that did the same thing!) always seem to be a step backward instead of improving things?

Just installed FTX Central 3 today. The migration of my FSS account was all dome in about five minutes. Brilliant stuff.

Just one question. Can I still use FTX Global Vector Configuration Tool? I see it is still on my system and starts up okay. Just curious if it is still relevant with FTX C v3.

Cheers guys.

Steve.

19 hours ago, pmb said:

Hi,

I started FTXC3 migration today. So far the process was painless and well-documented.

One question, though. I installed Global Base + OpenLC EU first (and of course the libs)  and made backups. With OpenLC EU I get one file "_chka7f065bc-00dd-4a0c-82f8-7054d5c46edd.zip". However, the Base directory contrains 100 such files.

Is iths okay? Just wondering.

Kind regards, Michael

I'd like to try once more. Do you other guys get 100 files in the target directory for Global Base, too?

Kind regards, Michael

17 hours ago, AlphaInfinity said:

I am seeing slow downloads as well via FTX Central V3. I LOVE the UI and the idea that this application will install all of my ORBX addons, but the servers hosting these files need more bandwidth. I have a 200Mbit connection and I am barely getting 5Mb/sec for short periods of time. 

15 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

For me as I type this, downloads are really slow.  Often around 1MB/s and slowing to 300KB/s.  I have a 120Mb connection.

23 hours ago, chris85713 said:

It seems to me that the new FTX Central3 and the new website are a step backward. I used to go to the support page and download the updates. Some of them were huge files, but it seemed like in 15 or 20 minutes it downloaded so I could install.

I just installed the new FTX Central, it told me there's an update for open land class, so I started the update. Three hours (and four interuptions) later I'm still waiting for it to finish so I can install it. I'm hoping this is just because of everyone moving to the new system, but I must admit I'm pretty disappointed so far.

That is what you get when almost everyone is trying to redownload their entire product catalogue while there is no need for it at ALL. I have P3D running with a few Orbx addons. I installed FTXC3, did the license transfer and that's it. Why the heck should I download all my products right now?!? I seriously don't understand why everybody is on a download frenzy and hence ruining things for people who actually bought something new today or are busy reinstalling a new PC and actually need to download their products. Far too many people are eating bandwidth without ANY need for it.

My advice to everyone: stop downloading and only download products when you actually need them. And if you really like to have local backups of everything: download it all one by one starting in a week or two and spread it over a few months or so. There is no need to hurry. Relax. Enjoy. And if you are downloading updates: you can still fly without them. Afaik there isn't a single update available right now that is absolutely mandatory and that you can't do without. Enjoy what you've got and try downloading again in a week or so.

1 hour ago, J van E said:

That is what you get when almost everyone is trying to redownload their entire product catalogue while there is no need for it at ALL. I have P3D running with a few Orbx addons. I installed FTXC3, did the license transfer and that's it. Why the heck should I download all my products right now?!? I seriously don't understand why everybody is on a download frenzy and hence ruining things for people who actually bought something new today or are busy reinstalling a new PC and actually need to download their products. Far too many people are eating bandwidth without ANY need for it.

My advice to everyone: stop downloading and only download products when you actually need them. And if you really like to have local backups of everything: download it all one by one starting in a week or two and spread it over a few months or so. There is no need to hurry. Relax. Enjoy. And if you are downloading updates: you can still fly without them. Afaik there isn't a single update available right now that is absolutely mandatory and that you can't do without. Enjoy what you've got and try downloading again in a week or so.

Agreed..well said J van E :)

confused now. I just downloaded and installed orbx v3 and when I open the new program my purchased products are highlighted. Does that mean that they are active already so why do i need to transfer the liscense because flight sim store can't locate my email anyway. Are my products in the cloud so i can remove them from my folders that are taking up so much space. I just don't really get this yet. Thanks

If I am understanding correct, I can keep my FSS account for as long as I want, and just start a new account with Orbx Direct.

I have literally TONS of Orbx products that I have purchased over the years.  I do not want to loose my ability to download installers, if I need to, for any of my Orbx products that are at FSS.

I don't mind starting a new account at Orbx Direct and continue purchasing products in the future, but I want to keep my FSS account and just update my Orbx products through FTX Central.  Will that be possible?

I purchased these products at FSS in good faith, knowing that I would always have my installers available and that Orbx would continue providing updates into the future.

Also will products purchased through Orbx Direct always be available to re-download if the installers are needed again?

Thank you,

Bob

3 hours ago, signmanbob said:

If I am understanding correct, I can keep my FSS account for as long as I want, and just start a new account with Orbx Direct.

I have literally TONS of Orbx products that I have purchased over the years.  I do not want to loose my ability to download installers, if I need to, for any of my Orbx products that are at FSS.

I don't mind starting a new account at Orbx Direct and continue purchasing products in the future, but I want to keep my FSS account and just update my Orbx products through FTX Central.  Will that be possible?

I purchased these products at FSS in good faith, knowing that I would always have my installers available and that Orbx would continue providing updates into the future.

Also will products purchased through Orbx Direct always be available to re-download if the installers are needed again?

Thank you,

Bob

You can download full backup copies of all your Orbx products from your account in OrbxDirect, however there will be no further updates for Orbx products not migrated to the new system

Everybody, please read the extensive FAQ, as most questions are answered here, link: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/123619-orbxdirect-and-ftx-central-v3-offical-faq/

13 hours ago, cjboston said:

confused now. I just downloaded and installed orbx v3 and when I open the new program my purchased products are highlighted. Does that mean that they are active already so why do i need to transfer the liscense because flight sim store can't locate my email anyway. Are my products in the cloud so i can remove them from my folders that are taking up so much space. I just don't really get this yet. Thanks

Your purchased products are highlighted because FTXC3 sees they are currently installed. So yes, they are active already. Everything that is already installed doesn't need to be downloaded and installed again. However, you will not be able to update them (if needed) until you transfered your license.

Your products are always available in the cloud, in fact, this has always been the case already because you could always redownload installers from FSS too. Nothing really new there. FTXC3 just makes it a lot easier to download and install the latest version of your products and to keep them updated. With FSS this was more cumbersome and you had to look for updates yourself. Anyway, if you want to you can delete all your downloaded installers but obviously this means you will have to redownload them in the future whenever you need to reinstall something. Depending on if you transfered your license or not you will have to redownload them from FSS or OrbxDirect. (I strongly would advice to transfer the license and do the latter.)

13 hours ago, signmanbob said:

Thank you,

Bob

You can choose to not transfer the license and keep your FSS account for all your Orbx products: in that case you will be able to use the old installers you already downloaded whenever you need to reinstall the sim. However, you will not be able to update them anymore. You can ONLY update Orbx addons from now on using FTXC3 and after transfering your licenses.

After transfering your licenses you can still redownload everything you ever purchased only now you have to do so with FTXC3. So you won't lose that ability. You can indeed keep your FSS account for your old purchases and create an OrbxDirect account for new purchases. In fact, you have no other choise because from now on you will ONLY be able to purchase Orbx products using OrbxDirect/FTXC3! However, I personally would advice to transfer the license and keep everything in one place. And after all, you probably do want updates in the future so you really don't have a choice.

16 hours ago, bladerunner900 said:

Just installed FTX Central 3 today. The migration of my FSS account was all dome in about five minutes. Brilliant stuff.

Just one question. Can I still use FTX Global Vector Configuration Tool? I see it is still on my system and starts up okay. Just curious if it is still relevant with FTX C v3.

Cheers guys.

Steve.

Don't worry, I found my answer. It was there all along, once I got my bearings in the new interface.

17 hours ago, pmb said:

Which probably does not apply to folks like me who just bought a brand-new machine.

Kind regards, Michael

Ditto here.  I also reformatted yesterday and would like to get Global, Vector, and OpenLC NA installed.

1 hour ago, bladerunner900 said:

I have 52 zip files in my backup directory for Global Base. 2.02 GB.

Thank you very much for answering. That's a mystery to me. Plus a bit awkward. Are you using FSX? I am under Prepar3d.

Kind regards, Michael

Transferring is very quick as Sherm says.  It is the download speed that is atrocious. at least during the cross over period.  Perhaps after folks have downloaded the software it will improve.

Of course IF you have the ORBX scenery already installed in, and working in your sim it is not even necessary to download anything at the present time. 

You migrate your FSS downloads to ORBX Direct and thats all thats required to obtain any updates in the future.  Migration puts your files in ORBX's database and if they issue an update your info is there and Central v3 will inform you that an update is available.

If, as in my case, I have just had to replace my HD and thiat required me to re-download all the scenery to re-install on the new drive.

8 hours ago, J van E said:

You can choose to not transfer the license and keep your FSS account for all your Orbx products: in that case you will be able to use the old installers you already downloaded whenever you need to reinstall the sim. However, you will not be able to update them anymore. You can ONLY update Orbx addons from now on using FTXC3 and after transfering your licenses.

After transfering your licenses you can still redownload everything you ever purchased only now you have to do so with FTXC3. So you won't lose that ability. You can indeed keep your FSS account for your old purchases and create an OrbxDirect account for new purchases. In fact, you have no other choise because from now on you will ONLY be able to purchase Orbx products using OrbxDirect/FTXC3! However, I personally would advice to transfer the license and keep everything in one place. And after all, you probably do want updates in the future so you really don't have a choice.

Ok, this clears it up for me.  Somehow I was under the impression that by transferring the licenses to Orbx Direct, I would no longer have the installers of my older products available to me, if I need them.

I sure don't want to get rid of any of my Orbx products, and when they become available, I buy them up so fast that there may be some that I have not downloaded and installed yet.

As long as the installers are always available, it would not make any sense to not transfer my existing FSS account and licenses over to Orbx Direct.

I appreciate you all clearing this up for me.

Thank you,

Bob

Bob,

if you do, or have transferred (migrated) your FSS files to ORBX Direct then the installers for the FSS you have saved are now of no use because the files are in the ORBX Database.  The only files left at the filightsim store are non ORBX downloads.  If you do not migrate then you can no longer receive updates to your ORBX Scenery.

Pete,

any reason you re-installed all your ORBX products?  If they were installed and working there is no need to re-install them.  Once you migrated your files to the ORBX Database any future updates will be make available to you via Central v3.

2 minutes ago, spud said:

Pete,

any reason you re-installed all your ORBX products?  If they were installed and working there is no need to re-install them.  Once you migrated your files to the ORBX Database any future updates will be make available to you via Central v3.

Hi Spud,

I had kept back-ups of all my Orbx FSS installers, which of course were useless once I had transferred my licenses, so I deleted them. But I wanted a new set of back-ups, which meant re-downloading the installers. And since I don't have many Orbx products (Global BASE, VECTOR, OLC EU, plus EU ENG SCO, WLS), I thought I might as well just do a re-install since I was doing a download anyway, if for no other reason than to test the new system.

OK, as a test and not a lot of files it makes sense.  Of course as long as the files are migrated ORBX can push updates to your old installed scenery as the are made available.  I wasn't that lucky losing my HD a week before the switch to ORBX Direct.   I was forced to do the downloads over 2-3 days due to the slow download speeds.  I have fast D/L but doesn't help if the servers are slow.

6 hours ago, pmb said:

Thank you very much for answering. That's a mystery to me. Plus a bit awkward. Are you using FSX? I am under Prepar3d.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi

I have a Global Base Pack of 3,91 GB with 100 zip files that I obtained as a manual download.

I think the smaller one could be for a single version installation., 

Cheers

The new system is actually cutting down on the download sizes a lot, for instance FTX Australia is now only around 2GB in size as we can streamline the process a lot when not catering for every sim version in one file

As I have said earlier, the best method is to keep all those small zips in a single folder (the manually downloaded products with the single zip can be unzipped and all the small zips also put in this folder) then you just point FTXCv3 at the folder when installing, and choose 'I have a backup' and FTXCv3 finds the files automatically

This function alone has made installing and reinstalling products so easy, as a developer we are always installing, uninstalling and reinstalling and this makes it so I can do other work while its doing it automatically

6 hours ago, pmb said:

Kind regards, Michael

I am using P3D v3.4.9.18400.

One thing I have noticed is that when I try and install from a Backup folder through Central 3, the folder shows as empty. Despite the fact that I can see the files are there, when I open the same location in Windows Explorer. Fortunately, installing from singe files downloaded manually does work.

Cheers mate.

Steve.

Archived