OrbxDirect and FTXCv3 FAQ - add feedback here

John Venema

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, rsvette12 said:

No Jack it does not - pretty cool stuff - hope all is well

Thanks Richard!  Sadly, all is not well but I won't go into it here.  But so far FTX-wise, yes, going very well updating along happily now.

Can't wait to play and maybe even try out the new store.  Been thinking about buying Bar Harbor.

Best regards.

Hope all is well with you too Rich!

3 minutes ago, Jack Sawyer said:

Thanks Richard!  Sadly, all is not well but I won't go into it here.  But so far FTX-wise, yes, going very well updating along happily now.

Can't wait to play and maybe even try out the new store.  Been thinking about buying Bar Harbor.

Yes same here lost my 7 year old Carin Terrier to cushings disease - fighting a killer cold for 4 weeks but I wont get into it lol - have fun digging this new Central - easy stuff now

I would like to suggest that when FTXC3 is installing your add-ons for it to say "installing", and when it's downloading things to say "downloading". I downloaded all the recent installer zip files from the OrbxDirect site, and when I went to install them, it only said "downloading %" instead of "installing %". The add-ons were successfully installed though without issues. 

Other software that I've seen separates the download queue from the install queue. So that way you know what is downloading and what is installing. 

Whenever I try to transfer my licenses from FSS, I keep getting "An error occured when attempting to send the data to Orbx Direct. Please try again later. (Error: 500)"

Do I just try again later or is it a specific error I can do something about?

1 minute ago, Sethos said:

Whenever I try to transfer my licenses from FSS, I keep getting "An error occured when attempting to send the data to Orbx Direct. Please try again later. (Error: 500)"

Do I just try again later or is it a specific error I can do something about?

There appear to be some issues with the way FSS is sending data to us. I've informed Adrian, a fix should be on its way shortly :)

2 minutes ago, Ben McClintock said:

There appear to be some issues with the way FSS is sending data to us. I've informed Adrian, a fix should be on its way shortly :)

I'll just try again later then! :)

And can I just say, the software and overall layout looks beautiful. 

1 minute ago, JasonW said:

Does anyone know where the orbx lights config tool went?

Hi Jason,

You can install this from our freeware page: https://orbxdirect.com/product/ftxglights

Once you have it installed, you will find it in "FTX Global Range" -> "FTX Global Lights Configurator" -> "Control Panel":

95RTeHY.png

3 hours ago, Dazt said:

Just tried to migrate getting the same error as others

An error occured when attempting to send the data to Orbx Direct. Please try again later. (Error: 500)

Regards

Likewise.

Having read elsewhere in this topic that the original download installer ("wrapper") will no longer work after transferring from FSS, but will oblige me to re-download everything, I am therefore refraining from transferring just now, and rather glad the transfer failed. I'll reconsider, after I see how it all settles.
(I sympathise with those with low bandwidth - until recently I had a 7gb monthly limit. The 1gb limit someone here reported would be prohibitive. A pity the backup disc is no longer an option. If I need to re-download just what I bought in the last few weeks, that will be huge.)
Which brings me to this; I presume if I transfer everything from FSS to OrbxDirect, and accept the need to re-download FSS purchases if necessary, then FTX Central will automatically handle updates thereafter.
I can no longer see a page for manual downloads of updates on the Orbx website. I take it we no longer have the option to manually update.

So, am I correct in this interpretation; I must now either use OrbxDirect (with the possible need to re-download all my FSS purchases), or do without updates?

EDIT: Seems like I read it aright. FAQ 4; "However, all customers wanting to purchase new Orbx addons, and download updates for existing Orbx addons previously purchased from FSS will need to transfer their Orbx licenses from their FSS accounts to OrbxDirect."

So, once more, my sympathy to folks on limited bandwidth!

Just got all my licenses transferred to OrbxDirect following the step-by-step visual guide. No downloads needed apart from an updated OrbxLibs. New FTX Central is outstanding, much better than prior version.

Congrats to all involved!

Juan Andres

Looks like I found a fix for my "An error occured when attempting to send the data to Orbx Direct. Please try again later. (Error: 500)" error.

I live in a city with an "Ø" in the name. FSS doesn't read that probably, so it turns into an unknown character "?". So I just changed that Ø to an O and the license transferred :)

Hi Guys first Well done on this massive project you have done a really great job on both FTX Cenyral,v3 and the website. I have a question that you will more than likely answer fairly easily and that is, when I run FTX central3 it shows I have ALL ORBX products in all sections which is correct, but some of them need updating and when I try I get a warning saying I don't have access to this version which seems odd also FTX central keeps shutting down and I have to start the whole update process again. Now either I'm doing something wrong or there may be a bug somewhere causing this either way can you guys help me sort this out.

Okay I figured it out I had downloaded all the updated files but didn't point FTXCv3 to where they were so it couldn't find them, busy updating now and Thanks again for this massive project Guys big thumbs up

Edit: it found the files opened them(seemed to install ) but gave me the same error msg so I'll wait for a fix and just fly in the meantime

I see no mention of the Orbxlibs in the FAQ. I also haven't seen it mentioned in various YouTube movies. Not installing the libs or not installing it after each installation session always was a cause for problems, specially for new Orbx users. Does the new FTX Central deal with the libs in anyway...? Does it install it automatically? Or does it give a prompt you should install it? I know Central 2 notified you of a new lib but since Central 3 does all the installing, I was wondering if the libs have been implemented in some (convenient and support preventing ;)) way? And if so, maybe some info about it could be added to the FAQ?

I obviously haven't installed Central 3 yet, I hope to do so the coming weekend, but I was just curious. ;)

On a side note: are there plans to add the freeware to the list of addons which you see in Central? I know you can add them to your account from the Freeware page after which you see them in Central (correct?) but I was wondering if the uninstalled and unadded (is that English?) freeware will be offered to us at one time just as any other unpurchased payware addon is shown in Central 3. Maybe with an option to hide it. (Or maybe hide it by default but add an option to show it all.)

15 minutes ago, J van E said:

I see no mention of the Orbxlibs in the FAQ. I also haven't seen it mentioned in various YouTube movies. Not installing the libs or not installing it after each installation session always was a cause for problems, specially for new Orbx users. Does the new FTX Central deal with the libs in anyway...? Does it install it automatically? Or does it give a prompt you should install it? I know Central 2 notified you of a new lib but since Central 3 does all the installing, I was wondering if the libs have been implemented in some (convenient and support preventing ;)) way? And if so, maybe some info about it could be added to the FAQ?

I obviously haven't installed Central 3 yet, I hope to do so the coming weekend, but I was just curious. ;)

On a side note: are there plans to add the freeware to the list of addons which you see in Central? I know you can add them to your account from the Freeware page after which you see them in Central (correct?) but I was wondering if the uninstalled and unadded (is that English?) freeware will be offered to us at one time just as any other unpurchased payware addon is shown in Central 3. Maybe with an option to hide it. (Or maybe hide it by default but add an option to show it all.)

The Lib work just like V2 if there is a update it will prompt you. There is no need to run the libraries after each install that is a thing of the past that went away when they stopped  putting the libraries in the installers.

3 minutes ago, FreeBird said:

The Lib work just like V2 if there is a update it will prompt you. There is no need to run the libraries after each install that is a thing of the past that went away when they stopped  putting the libraries in the installers.

Ok, thanks! I didn't know that...! :huh:;)

Ok, I found the step-by-step post (Finally!) I did not see the need to contact FSS until I read this. Shouldn't that important detail had been put out in the beginning and mentioned in FTX Central?

In any case, all is working great now. Thanks.

Maybe I'm wrong here, some folks seem to be miss understanding that from now on complete control is passed back to the vendor Orbx through the implementation of Central 3, not a lot different than Microsoft operating systems. It has its pros and cons. Given that this is just a simulation game its a bit worrisome. While the need for backups is not completely redundant (it would save download time and bandwidth in the future), but otherwise one has to use Central 3 or you can't install any files.  There are only two big issues as I see it for some of us who have 160 gigs or so of Orbx product installers, one would be if there is a need to do a complete reinstall or Orbx goes out of business, stop operations whatever.  Either way one would need to be able in the future to download all the new installers through Central (version whatever) and have open validation to complete that install.

Question Regarding Transfer of Licenses.

I see that the transfer of licenses is set so that one must transfer ALL licenses from FSS.

Given that in general there is most likely no need to update older products like PNW, PFJ, CRM, NRM etc., why not allow a product by product transfer.  A list say, with tick boxes  to click the ones that one might actually care to transfer?

Bryan, you're beginning to repeat yourself over and over and dominate the otherwise useful questions people have been posting in this topic. If you're not happy with the way things are moving forward then don't jump on the train, simple as that. Incessantly citing large multi-GB downloads and Orbx big brother syndrome as the end of your FS world is getting tiresome real fast. Please stop.

On 2016-10-27 at 1:35 PM, teecee said:

Perhaps you should read MY post again Glen.,. It's not the loss of products, I understand that part of this change,  it's the re-downloading everything that bothers me, and the cost involved in doing so, I purchased these products in good faith and will continue to download from the FSS if and when required, as I have all the zip files saved, and by staying with the FSS I can use them.Teecee.

You can still download a zip file from within ftx central so I still don't see what the problem is 

1 hour ago, John Venema said:

Bryan, you're beginning to repeat yourself over and over and dominate the otherwise useful questions people have been posting in this topic. If you're not happy with the way things are moving forward then don't jump on the train, simple as that. Incessantly citing large multi-GB downloads and Orbx big brother syndrome as the end of your FS world is getting tiresome real fast. Please stop.

No issues for me mate. I'm a major Orbx supporter, always have been and will continue to be....and keep up the good work toward improving our simming experience.

5 hours ago, fltsimguy said:
Question Regarding Transfer of Licenses.

1. I see that the transfer of licenses is set so that one must transfer ALL licenses from FSS.

2. Given that in general there is most likely no need to update older products like PNW, PFJ, CRM, NRM etc., why not allow a product by product transfer.  A list say, with tick boxes  to click the ones that one might actually care to transfer?

Bryan, just to help here if I can (for you and others).

1. I see that the transfer of licenses is set so that one must transfer ALL licenses from FSS.........

This should read " I see that the transfer of licenses is set so that one must transfer ALL Orbx licenses from FSS."

To clarify, after the licence transfer, I logged into my FSS account and saw all the download links to Orbx purchases were removed, but not my order history. However the many other non Orbx purchases are still there. So what I spent is still recorded there. This is as it should be.

2. John has already clarified this point yesterday. The licence transfer process is just that, no product files are transferred, just our licence information. And with regard to product by product transfer, this is already available via the manual download option. And Central 3 will only update a file if need be and this only happens when we give them go ahead via pressing the "ok" button.

Anton via Tapatalk Pro

The answer to this question is probably covered somewhere on the site but after 2 days I haven't run across it.

Some how I missed the instructions on downloading and saving a copy of the file.  I have been furiously downloading (like half the world!) but the files are just installed, not saved.  Is there a method that I can save the files I have already downloaded?  Or do I have to re-download them with the save option checked this time?  Being about 1/3 of the way through downloading I will donalte my first born if there is a way to do this! :wub:

The answer to this question is probably covered somewhere on the site but after 2 days I haven't run across it.

Some how I missed the instructions on downloading and saving a copy of the file.  I have been furiously downloading (like half the world!) but the files are just installed, not saved.  Is there a method that I can save the files I have already downloaded?  Or do I have to re-download them with the save option checked this time?  Being about 1/3 of the way through downloading I will donalte my first born if there is a way to do this! :wub:

Your right Guy, it's been covered. Quick answer is that the old backups will only work if you stay with FSS as the installers embedded in them won't work with FTX Central 3. Therefore once you have an OrbxDirect account and the licences have been transferred the old files are of no use. The way ahead is to reinstall a product advice from OrbxDirect or to progressively make a manual backup via central 3. Hope this helps

Anton via Tapatalk Pro

If you installed without selecting a backup they are probably located in the %Temp%\Orbx folder.  Ben will probably have to confirm this because I always use the third install option where you select a backup location after install.  Then when you need to reinstall you use the second install option which is from your backup location.  This is useful for archiving this folder on an external drive also.   Hopefully, you can move those folders from the temp folder to a folder of your choice without issue.

Mike

1 minute ago, Mike62 said:

If you installed without selecting a backup they are probably located in the %Temp%\Orbx folder.  Ben will probably have to confirm this because I always use the third install option where you select a backup location after install.  Then when you need to reinstall you use the second install option which is from your backup location.  This is useful for archiving this folder on an external drive also.   Hopefully, you can move those folders from the temp folder to a folder of your choice without issue.

Mike

The highlighted phrase in your post points to a specific place I know but although I asked Ben ages ago what exactly this %.... pointed to I never have understood what its trying to tell me.

Exactly what does %Temp%\Orbx folder mean?  Getting too old for all this IT gobble de gook I guess.

I have FSX on my C: drive in a folder named FSX (C:/FSX) where would I look for %Temp%\Orbx folder?

5 minutes ago, spud said:

The highlighted phrase in your post points to a specific place I know but although I asked Ben ages ago what exactly this %.... pointed to I never have understood what its trying to tell me.

Exactly what does %Temp%\Orbx folder mean?  Getting too old for all this IT gobble de gook I guess.

I have FSX on my C: drive in a folder named FSX (C:/FSX) where would I look for %Temp%\Orbx folder?

Can't check it right now (I am on an iPad) but in Windows go to Start and copy or type %Temp%\Orbx in to search bar, hit Enter and that folder will open. It simply is some sort of hidden but quick way to get there. You can also only type %Temp% to see everything that is in the Temp folder. Which usually is a lot and which usually can be deleted.

Archived