Aircraft Recognition

Bermuda425

@Kodiak73 & @Greatmalik simulation & @RJ Hey there! You're almost right with the Cessna, but here's a close-up:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/MQTVx6o5mF-CllKc_v2Rj2WI5awDmMM5iZuTCrDP6kpFTxipHjd65-t_TXyZgCmtLq8hdhBrBw=w2095-h1179-no

@Matthew Kane Yeahhh! Golden right!

@Hobnobs :lol:  :D

@Mallard Absolutely! Thanks for the picture from the hangar. Saw it just this morning again parked on the ramp. Since it has gear fairing, you can determine that it is the IFR equipped version which isn't flown as much as the ones without fairings that are visual. Here's a comparison shot:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/e2NkafbFwU-7L8T7rwa-W3LIUnEZlkQgAtvpaFOUsa_8akr2kfuJD7O4AfLfH1Axmi2RwpJB4A=w2095-h1179-no

1 minute ago, Bermuda425 said:

What is the connection? Please help me :banghead:

Bruce Artwick who is the Grandfather of Microsoft Flight Simulator was a former student at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. That University also owns and operates Willard Airport and the Flight School there. The company Sublogic was started at this school by Bruce. When Bruce programmed Flight Simulator 2 the scenery began in Chicago and ended at Willard Airport so you could fly cross country from Chicago to Willard.

Microsoft bought Flight Simulator from Sublogic and Bruce joined Microsoft to continue with what became MS Flight Simulator line and what we now have today with FSX, P3D and where ever DTG's takes it. You could say that University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Willard Airport is the birthplace of our Hobby. Some may say Meigs but I would say Willard because that was Bruce's school and that was where Sublogic was first formed and the place where Flight Simulator was first programmed. So if we were all to take a pilgrimage this would be the place.

5 hours ago, Matthew Kane said:

Bruce Artwick who is the Grandfather of Microsoft Flight Simulator was a former student at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. That University also owns and operates Willard Airport and the Flight School there. The company Sublogic was started at this school by Bruce. When Bruce programmed Flight Simulator 2 the scenery began in Chicago and ended at Willard Airport so you could fly cross country from Chicago to Willard.

Microsoft bought Flight Simulator from Sublogic and Bruce joined Microsoft to continue with what became MS Flight Simulator line and what we now have today with FSX, P3D and where ever DTG's takes it. You could say that University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Willard Airport is the birthplace of our Hobby. Some may say Meigs but I would say Willard because that was Bruce's school and that was where Sublogic was first formed and the place where Flight Simulator was first programmed. So if we were all to take a pilgrimage this would be the place.

Now that deserves some rep! 

If you guys would like to experience the first MS Flight Simulator click on this link:

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_v3.0_1988

That version is basically the same as Sublogic Flight Simulator 2, when Microsoft bought it from Sublogic they reprogrammed it for DOS and repackaged it with Microsoft on the box. You can take off from Meigs and fly south and make your way to Willard Airport. This was most likely a drive that Bruce Artwick made many times to go to school there and likely why he choose it for his first scenery area. You will also notice a lot of the keyboard commands are still the same today.

It wasn't until Flight Simulator 4 that things really started to come of age with aircraft and scenery design as well as digital sound. Flight Sim 5 was the first with photo display, from their the milestones were incremental but 4 and 5 really raised the bar. And yes Bruce Artwick was behind most of that innovation until he left. Bruce's other companies were Mallard and BAO (Bruce Artwick Organization) as well as Sublogic and his time at Microsoft.

My favourite time with the franchise was release 4 and 5 as it was amazing how quickly things developed. Also we were on Compuserve and our forum was Go FSFORUM where we shared new scenery and aircraft, much like we still do today but back then everything was new.

Interesting.  I think this is the second MS flight simulator.  A friend of mine demonstrated a wireframe version to me on an early PC.  It was just wireframe, not even filled textures, blocks etc.  Frame rates were about 1-2 per second.  I don't think it even had an inside view, it was just an outside wireframe aircraft over a segmented wireframe ground.  I had just purchased the Amiga that had Sublogic Flight Simulator 2 with green carpet and pyramid mountains and a wireframe Golden Gate Bridge that ran up to 3-4 fps, and I was soooo unimpressed witht he Microsoft attempt that was being proudly shown off.

On 09/09/2016 at 0:08 AM, Matthew Kane said:

If you guys would like to experience the first MS Flight Simulator click on this link:

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_v3.0_1988

That version is basically the same as Sublogic Flight Simulator 2, when Microsoft bought it from Sublogic they reprogrammed it for DOS and repackaged it with Microsoft on the box. You can take off from Meigs and fly south and make your way to Willard Airport. This was most likely a drive that Bruce Artwick made many times to go to school there and likely why he choose it for his first scenery area. You will also notice a lot of the keyboard commands are still the same today.

It wasn't until Flight Simulator 4 that things really started to come of age with aircraft and scenery design as well as digital sound. Flight Sim 5 was the first with photo display, from their the milestones were incremental but 4 and 5 really raised the bar. And yes Bruce Artwick was behind most of that innovation until he left. Bruce's other companies were Mallard and BAO (Bruce Artwick Organization) as well as Sublogic and his time at Microsoft.

My favourite time with the franchise was release 4 and 5 as it was amazing how quickly things developed. Also we were on Compuserve and our forum was Go FSFORUM where we shared new scenery and aircraft, much like we still do today but back then everything was new.

I started with FS5, but Compuserve is also a name from the past.  Do you remember Gunner?  He was the first person to welcome me to the FsForum, which for me was the first friendly, helpful, FS Family.

10 hours ago, jimh20 said:

I started with FS5, but Compuserve is also a name from the past.  Do you remember Gunner?  He was the first person to welcome me to the FsForum, which for me was the first friendly, helpful, FS Family.

I do remember Gunner. It was such a small community back then. I also recall the hefty Compuserve bills on a little 2400bps Dial Up modem and how long it took to download things.

Archived