CAC8 Nanaimo looks great!

Matt McGee

Thank you Larry!

Your CAC8 Nanaimo scenery looks great. :)

I haven't been to Nanaimo yet in real life, but I feel like I've been there now.  

The detail you've put in (docks, ferry terminal, static aircraft, buildings, harbor nav aids, etc..) is just fantastic!

I'm still working on finding the Nanaimo Bar Easter egg though. 

Thanks guys!

The Nanaimo Bar Easter egg is not a little model of a Nanaimo bar; that would be like finding a needle in a haystack. But it’s about Nanaimo bars as such, and there is at least some logic to it… to me at least! And it’s in the Area A scenery. :)

Sorry, but I think comments like that are just hilarious.  My FPS is locked at 24 and i don't start worrying  about it until it gets down to 12.

The scenery is outstanding, Larry, and entirely "usable".  Looking forward to more projects from you.

Hi Double J,

I’m sorry that the scenery is unusable for you. There is a price for all that detail. All I can suggest is that you go to the FTX_AA_CAC8\scenery folder and disable every file that contains ‘Area_B’ or ‘AreaB’ in the file name. That should disable most of the new stuff. I guess this does not bode well for the future; my current project is even more detailed. :(

Larry

It's smooth as butter for me in FSX, P3Dv2, and P3Dv3.3.  Frames locked at 30 and usually never dropping below 26.  My sliders are set quite high as well.  I don't think I have a super PC but it's 1 1/2 yrs old.    What are you using Double J?   Maybe we can help out.

That's a shame that there is a performance decrease being reported.  It could be a direct result of the area in general.  The original version of Nanaimo works really well for me so I might stick with that.  Would be good to strike a good performance balance vs more detail.

1 hour ago, Larry_R said:

Hi Double J,

I’m sorry that the scenery is unusable for you. There is a price for all that detail. All I can suggest is that you go to the FTX_AA_CAC8\scenery folder and disable every file that contains ‘Area_B’ or ‘AreaB’ in the file name. That should disable most of the new stuff. I guess this does not bode well for the future; my current project is even more detailed. :(

Larry

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Larry - Nanaimo Designer God.....

Detail.....INDEED. The banners on the light posts around the waterfront and centennial park are great; as are the war canoes.... I really like whats been added to complement an already great scenery. Keep developing....shut up and take my money!  :)

Looking for Easter Egg.....haven't got tons of time so if some one finds it before me...good for you....I have walked nearly every inch of that area in my time...poured myself out of a few of the pubs...tied up commercial fishboats and flown out of there ...stayed at Coast Bastion hotel...and eaten all the restaurants....a little Nanaimo bar....yummy...

Hi Acer,

The Dinghy Dock Pub is not the Easter egg. Imagine that you really did fly to Nanaimo and your floatplane is moored at the seaplane dock in the marina for short time -- can't stay too long. You decide you want a real Nanaimo bar -- where would you look for one?

A few odds and ends; seems like a good place to mention them.

Here's one way to compare your piloting skills with real life.  A few weeks ago flying back from the Sunshine Coast in a DHC2, Kathy our Kenmore Air pilot flew over the middle of Newcastle Island, passing over the east shoreline at about 1000 feet. She then turned, banked, lowered the flaps and landed  short of the yellow buoy in Area B, turning around a short distance beyond it to head for the Seair dock. And unlike the Area B scenery with one AI sailboat and possibly a ferry that must be avoided, Departure Bay was full of pleasure craft going every which way, and one of the huge BC ferries was just pulling out!  She made it look *so* easy but I'm sure it's not.

And here's something that amused me:

One of our beta testers, not familiar with Nanaimo wondered if what appeared to be a bathtub the scenery was an accidentally misplaced object.  By way of explanation I found this:

https://youtu.be/LylOwRcuYKI

On 8/29/2016 at 7:58 PM, Larry_R said:

Hi Double J,

Larry

Larry, great stuff...BRING IT ON!   Bring------IT-----ON! :))))

Thank you again, for this fabulous scenery.

.....and here is where it landed.....

....and one of the best videos to highlight seaplane ops in this area!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-uvyA8lkj4

As a sidenote, which rather goes to Ben: Why didn't FTX Central 2 remind me of the update? I found a hint on a newssite and installed it. However, I thought that was one of the purposes of FTX Central 2?

Kind regards, Michael

18 minutes ago, pmb said:

As a sidenote, which rather goes to Ben: Why didn't FTX Central 2 remind me of the update? I found a hint on a newssite and installed it. However, I thought that was one of the purposes of FTX Central 2?

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

At the moment, there are different systems that power the freeware and payware products in FTX Central 2. It's slightly more complex to deploy updates for freeware products via FTXC. However, with FTXC3 and the new website, freeware and payware products are processed through the exact same system - which also results in a great speed increase :) 

Archived