Some England scenes

dolf8857

Mighty fine set Dolf.

11 hours ago, JS07 said:

Dolf, you make it looks so easy, I couldn't fly a whirlybird to save my butt!

That is what I used to say Jack. Looked at a tutorial on YouTube and after a lot of practice I can have a reasonable flight. I still find landing exceptionally difficult.

6 minutes ago, VH-KDK said:

Mighty fine set Dolf.

That is what I used to say Jack. Looked at a tutorial on YouTube and after a lot of practice I can have a reasonable flight. I still find landing exceptionally difficult.

That's cool Martyn, do you use a joystick?  I have an old one I could plug in but my main controls are a Saitek yoke and it's kinda silly to fly a chopper with a yoke.  I tried it several times throughout my sim pilot life but as you said I can fly all day long, I can never land, well not without significant damage to said heli.  :o

I wonder what Dolf uses?

Just now, JS07 said:

That's cool Martyn, do you use a joystick?  I have an old one I could plug in but my main controls are a Saitek yoke and it's kinda silly to fly a chopper with a yoke.  I tried it several times throughout my sim pilot life but as you said I can fly all day long, I can never land, well not without significant damage to said heli.  :o

I wonder what Dolf uses?

I did buy a joystick but I must admit I use the yoke. Guess I am silly:wacko::blink::lol:

It is still a great way to fly and it is something different, I should practice landings more.

I have quite a few choppers ranging from the Mosquito (Flysimware) to the Pavelow,, love them all.

Just now, VH-KDK said:

I did buy a joystick but I must admit I use the yoke. Guess I am silly:wacko::blink::lol:

It is still a great way to fly and it is something different, I should practice landings more.

I have quite a few choppers ranging from the Mosquito (Flysimware) to the Pavelow,, love them all.

It can be done, my problem I  guess is maybe not so much yoke control but throttle control on landing where you have to pull up and go into a hover.  Whenever I do this I start going backwards and then things go from bad to worse.  Then it's full throttle and back up for another try.  A military helicopter pilot once told me when I was in the Air Force that he said that's it's like trying to stand on a basketball.  It's a million parts flying in close formation is what it really is!  LOL!

I saw a show way back in the late 70's called That's Amazing or something like that where they had the (at the time) world's best helicopter pilot.  He'd been flying since almost out of the womb.  He hovered above a table, used a claw attached to the skid, and with controls on the cyclic he used the helicopter to pick up an unsharpened pencil from a cradle and insert it into an electric sharpener and pull it out sharpened.  I was astonished.  They said the downwash was 80 mph.  I was a kid and my jaw hit the floor, I have always wanted to fly one since then but never had the chance.

9 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Mighty fine set Dolf.

9 hours ago, JS07 said:

I wonder what Dolf uses?

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I use a simple thrustmaster t flight hotas x with no rudderpedals, might sound silly too but did practice a LOT of landings, some models are a bit more difficult then others, but this 407 and the 530 from Milviz are going nice, even like the Cera412, I put them down nice and softly at the right point; need some more practice with the UH60L and the Tripple 2 from Cera. Keep practice and once you got the trick you'll love it  ;)

5 minutes ago, dolf8857 said:

Thanks for the kind comments guys, I use a simple thrustmaster t flight hotas x with no rudderpedals, might sound silly too but did practice a LOT of landings, some models are a bit more difficult then others, but this 407 and the 530 from Milviz are going nice, even like the Cera412, I put them down nice and softly at the right point; need some more practice with the UH60L and the Tripple 2 from Cera. Keep practice and once you got the trick you'll love it  ;)

I dunno, I get frustrated easily doing it, you must have infinite patience and your shots make it looks easy Dolf.  But one thing that's nice is seeing choppers, most screens are planes, not all but most and I like to see the occasional chopper.  I guess I'm a screenshot junkie now!

Archived