Float plane for CAC8

Howard

Have you tried the Estonian FSX to P3D Migration Tool?

I have used it to take quite a few FSX aircraft into P3Dv3.3.5 successfully

Googling should find a store that sells it.

Also, I am using the Carenado C185F FSX float plane & amphibian versions out of CAC8, as well as a Pilatus Porter FP & a Lionheart Piper Pacer FP. There's quite a few float planes a round.

TTM

There is everything out there on floats from Ant's Drifter to the Captain Sim C-130.

I have got my Aerosoft Beaver working in P3D although I can't remember how I did it for sure. I  also used a gauge fix for this on the RTMM site. I have not tried the DHC-6 yet.

The Virtualcol Otter is a beautiful plane although I only use the real radial version with an added sound set.

1 minute ago, TigerTigerM said:

Have you tried the Estonian FSX to P3D Migration Tool?

I have used it to take quite a few FSX aircraft into P3Dv3.3.5 successfully

Googling should find a store that sells it.

TTM

A very useful tool although I have only used it on P3DV2

Hi BamaKevin,

Perhaps this thread can be merged with another along the same lines. (merged)

The following will have more meaning after the Service Pack with Area B is released. The Seair Terminal to the north of Area A is used by Kenmore Air as a pickup and drop-off point and is the usual location for clearing customs when flying north. So the FSX Kenmore Beaver is my favorite choice. It works fine in P3D as long as you copy the needed files across.  Some time ago I upscaled and retouched the main textures for the Kenmore Livery; they are available on the links page of my blog linked in my sig. line if anyone wants to try them.  Sometime when I get the chance I’ll fix them up more.  

N9766Z has a special significance. It was the plane Kenmore Air founder Bob Munro always wanted to fly on his most dangerous missions as described in the book about Kenmore Air: ‘Success on the Step’.  That plane is still flying by the way and looks really spiffy. The default bush pilot in the FSX Beaver looks quite inappropriate flying this aircraft so I’ve repainted it to an approximation of Munro.  At some point I might mention a couple of mods to the aircraft.cfg to shorten the stopping distance so you can make a realistic approach (and abide by the harbor regs) and not run into the far shore.

As well as the forementioned Beaver and Twin Otter, I also enjoy the Carenado Cessna 185 which has a float version as well as amphibian version which is handy for visiting the normal airports in the area.

I had a lot of fun with A2A's Piper Cub (float version) there as well as with Ant's Drifter Ultralight (also the float version of course). I've yet to try out Aerosoft's Twin Otter there. However the problem remains that I'm unable to push, pull or turn the aircraft in the water, for example to fit it exactly to the dock. But that's an annoying thing in all FS floatplanes..

On 7/4/2016 at 9:53 PM, Howard said:

I cannot get the Beaver or the Twin Otter to install into P3D.  

Thanks

The migration tool didn't seem to work for me, (although it worked for many other add-ons, both scenery and aircraft) but you can copy the Beaver manually from your FSX setup (if you still have one); If not you could try installing it into a dummy folder and copying all the files from there.

The A/S beaver is my go-to plane for bush flying, especially the amphibian - I use it so much that I wouldn't keep P3D if the Beaver didn't work in it!

Another alternative is the Carenado Bush Hawk, although I find that I can never see the VSI on that one because the yoke is always in the way!

I would like to get the right "speak" for Nanaimo, perhaps a local could help (Larry, Bryan)

I wonder if it is Na-namo or Nana-imo or perhaps Na-nimo. Can you set me straight please?

Cheers Anton. 

1 hour ago, antonvs said:

I would like to get the right "speak" for Nanaimo, perhaps a local could help (Larry, Bryan)

I wonder if it is Na-namo or Nana-imo or perhaps Na-nimo. Can you set me straight please?

Cheers Anton. 

Its:

NA - NIME (as in a dime, 10 cent piece except N) - OH.

Same level of annunciation on each syllable.

3 minutes ago, antonvs said:

Thanks Bryan, my three guesses were a bit off the mark. It nice to know how the locals pronounce a place. What is the origin of the name?

Slightly off topic but a good question and probably of interest to some folks. This one is easy.  I was previously employed by the Gov't of British Columbia as a provincial treaty negotiator doing negotiations for treaty's with First Nations in BC.

The original name is: Snuneymuxw, say Nanaimo with the "S" in front of the name. S-Nanaimo.  It is the formal name of the first nation the holds traditional territory in this region. I see its well covered by Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snuneymuxw_First_Nation

On 7/4/2016 at 3:56 PM, Larry_R said:

So the FSX Kenmore Beaver is my favorite choice. It works fine in P3D as long as you copy the needed files across. 

Larry, are you allowed to tell us what files to copy into P3D?  (Or point to a web page that does)

I tried, but don't have a virtual cockpit view in P3D. :(

I can fly in the external view and your updated Kenmore paint looks good. :)

Edit: I managed to get it working! :D

I must have missed something when moving texture files.  I finally just re-copied the fsx texture folders and pasted them into P3D, along with the model, panel, and sound folders.  I also copied and pasted the aircraft.config file.

17 hours ago, DeeJay said:

I had a lot of fun with A2A's Piper Cub (float version) there as well as with Ant's Drifter Ultralight (also the float version of course). I've yet to try out Aerosoft's Twin Otter there. However the problem remains that I'm unable to push, pull or turn the aircraft in the water, for example to fit it exactly to the dock. But that's an annoying thing in all FS floatplanes..

Turning the float planes while they're in the water seems to depend on the model you use.  In some deploying the water rudder works, in some it seems to depend on what speed you are doing on the water; for others it seems nothing works!

The twin otter floats version can only be turned by manipulating the engine throttles - e.g. to turn right, push the left throttle forward and leave the right throttle where it is.  Apparently that is how the real a/c works, but it is darn tricky just using the VC and a mouse!  It is the only reason I have seriously considered getting a throttle quadrant, but since it is only for one aircraft, I always talk myself out of it!

If you are really stuck you can always go into slew mode and turn the aircraft that way, or you can go to the map view and manually enter the heading!  The latter will load as a new flight though.

Matt,  I'm glad you got it working; it's probably nostalgia, but to me there is nothing like a DHC2. Now that  it's summer, I hear the Kenmore Beavers flying right over my house intermittently all day long.

Nanaimo Bars: I've got the Dinghy Dock Pub, a bathtub racer, a couple of First Nations racing canoes, all very 'Nanaimo' I might suggest, so maybe for the Service Pack I'll add a Nanaimo Bar  Easter egg somewhere.

Aircraft: I'd love to hear how well the various aircraft mentioned can make an authentic approach and landing, following the Harbour Authority  rules as stated in the User Guide.  For example, the direct approach from Vancouver would pass between Newcastle Island and Protection Island.  However the large anchorage between and to the west of the islands is often full of sailboats many of which will have masts that extend 50 to 60 feet off the water or more. See Google Earth for the location.  And you have to leave plenty of cushion so the result is there is not much remaining water to which you must descend and stop, while also avoiding  the water taxis.

Another example from my trip last fall:  approaching from the south, our Kenmore pilot passed over Area B at about 1000  feet following the channel between Newcastle Island and the mainland. My guess is that we cleared the North end of the channel at 300 to 400 feet and yet he landed just outboard of the yellow buoy and was at taxi speed quickly thereafter. This so he did not have that far to taxi back to the Seair dock.  First few times I tried it with the FSX DHC2 I plowed right into the far shore. :)

``At some point I might mention a couple of mods to the aircraft.cfg to shorten the stopping distance so you can make a realistic approach (and abide by the harbor regs) and not run into the far shore``

Yes please Larry!

cheers Reg.

On ‎06‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 5:03 PM, cwam said:

Turning the float planes while they're in the water seems to depend on the model you use.  In some deploying the water rudder works, in some it seems to depend on what speed you are doing on the water; for others it seems nothing works!

The twin otter floats version can only be turned by manipulating the engine throttles - e.g. to turn right, push the left throttle forward and leave the right throttle where it is.  Apparently that is how the real a/c works, but it is darn tricky just using the VC and a mouse!  It is the only reason I have seriously considered getting a throttle quadrant, but since it is only for one aircraft, I always talk myself out of it!

If you are really stuck you can always go into slew mode and turn the aircraft that way, or you can go to the map view and manually enter the heading!  The latter will load as a new flight though.

Well, neither of those solutions can really make ground handling of floatplanes a pleasure. I even have a throttle quadrant, but I still can't properly turn the Twin Otter, not even with one throttle forward and the other one in reverse - as it is probably done in real life. I rather wonder if it's possible to tweak the aircraft.cfg so that the water rudder is more effective, especially at lower speeds. Sure, if the plane is fast enough it will turn very well. But this way you have a huge radius and that's not what you want to do or what you can do when (un)parking the aircraft to or from the dock..

Here are a few thoughts about turning seaplanes on the water.  The Aerosoft Twin Otter is a bit tricky. I always forget the exact sequence required and for me it’s not intuitive. However it’s well covered in the documentation.

The response of seaplanes controlled by water rudders as opposed to engines is very non-linear which is somewhat of a pain, but there are ways around this using FSUIPC.

You can also adjust the turning characteristics of boats or seaplanes on the water by editing the [contact_points] section of the aircraft.cfg.   Be *sure* you make a backup first.  It’s easy to make the plane un-flyable by accident. Some mistakes will crash the sim when you try to load the aircraft. I would not recommend messing with the aircraft.cfg unless you are somewhat familiar with it.

Go over this page first so you know what you are doing:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc526949.aspx#mozTocId836373

There are two ways to turn the plane or boat besides using the engines, either with the floats (Class 4) or with water rudder(s) (Class 5) or a combination.  The seaplanes I have checked only use water rudders. You can change the effectiveness of the water rudders by changing the steer angle (column 8 where 1 is the first column).  I can’t find the documentation for this at the moment but column 11, (Damping Ratio) when used with Class 5 Contact Points (water rudders) changes the effectiveness of the water rudder. For example, if the steer angle is say 50 degrees, turning the rudder(s) more is not going to help much.

You can also change the effectiveness of the rudder by changing its location. The purpose of a rudder is to create torque, and torque is force times distance to the axis. So you can change the distance to the axis if you want.

Tweaking the aircraft.cfg can eat up hours and hours; to speed things up, before you start create a hotkey combination to ‘reload aircraft’ (fsx) or ‘reload user object’ (P3D). This allows you to edit the .cfg, save, and then reload the aircraft while the sim is running. Watch for the hour glass icon to confirm that the aircraft is in fact reloaded.

If you try any of this, I wish you luck.

Archived