What region should i choose for a start ?

chacal83

Hello,

being new to the orbx world, i would like to buy a region to start. I already have detailed scenery in europe and i would like a change, so which one should i choose ?

(I already own Global and Vector)

- Australia ? All a continent in one package ?

- New Zealand ? (buit it's only half of it per region)

- US region ? and if one which one ?

Thanks for your advice.

Ludwik

Thanks for the advice. Yes i already had a look at the videos and all are appealing, difficult to choose zd i dont know those regions from real life so all are exotic....

I m more the low and slow guy, exploring in vfr in small or medium ga aircraft.  Generally i avoid  big airports ( taxes !) and the big iron scares me.. sometimes i like to go for a longer ifr flight but my biggest aircraft is an old twin.

PNW is probably your best bet then, imo.  Plenty of payware airports if (when) you get sucked in, and Bowerman just to give you a taste.  :-)   And you can expand up and down the coast to suit.  For NZ you really 'need' both packages.  The distances in Australia are vast, so the old twin will have its work cut out to get around.  It's pretty flat, but it ranges from the sub-tropics to the desert.  Also has some freeware airports.

Welcome aboard.

For low and slow I suggest starting with PNW. It is the most developed to date. It has lots of airfields/airports which allow plenty of short hops. It has coastlines, mountains, hills, towns, cities and lakes, and some spectacular scenery. Plenty of addon airports available.

I would recommend the PNW for the reasons stated above.  CRM and NCA would make a couple good alternatives.  CRM offers a lot of good points of interest and is just different than any of the other regions (being more arid).  NCA also offers a fair number of add-on airports and a lot of good points of interest 

Thanks all for your advice, so i start downloading PNW... cant't wait to fly my Comanche or my C152 here.... A litlle question : which litlle airport would you recommend  to start my journey/exploration ? Or maybe a camp base i'll go back and forth on exploration ? It may be payware or already inclueded in PNW. Thanks again.

A couple of easy VFR first runs:

1) Fly up the Columbia valley from Portland Troutdale (KTTD) to Hood River (4S2).

2) Fly up the Fraser valley from Chilliwack (CYCW) to Hope (CYHE).

In the case of 1), you can go further east upriver, but ideally you'd get the CRM region for that, and for 2) you could go north up the Fraser Gorge, but that's into the NRM region - so you see how this region buying can become addictive!

The region comes with a kmz file which loads into Google Earth, displaying airfields and POIs, and that makes it easy to see the landscape and plan interesting routes.

Don't forget to download the 3 free airports for that region KHQM, 2S1, and 7WA3 all which are pretty good for being free.  Also their a free download of the Portland city scape as well.  I would start from there and decide what area you like to fly in the most then get some payware airports for that area of the region

JS07 : Thanx : Alaska is appealing, and I will certeinly go north one day but for now I'm with PWN...

jabble : Thanks for the trip advice, I'm starting my first serious flight through Columbia valley. CRM or NRM will come later... but probably before end of sales !

BrettT : Downloaded, i ll explore them soon.

I'm very happy of discovering a country with so rich scenery and the fact that evrything is new for me here is a litlle bit like being Colombus arriving at a whole new world.

Thanks again.

By the way : may i use my regular traffic AI with FTX regions ?

Ludwik

Be warned - The Pacific North West is addictive.. Like you I started with PNW, and now I have all the Orbx Scenery regions from California up to Southern Alaska. One of these days I will fly the whole left coast.

In answer to your question, yes your regular AI will work fine, although ORBX has released a (freeware) AI package specifically designed for North America. You can find it on their freeware page.

The other thing you should start exploring is Return to Misty Moorings http://return.mistymoorings.com/ . If you like low and slow they have some great scenery. Most of it is for the Pacific Fjords but some is for PNW. If you enjoy PNW then I would highly recommend grabbing PF while the sale is still on.

Gavin

KHQM would be a very good base to start from, as it's a payware-quality airport for free, so it's as good as you're going to get as far as airports go without spending more money.

If you want payware recommendations, you're going to get a million answers :)  Just look at screenshots and find one in an area you like!

-stefan

Gavinc : i managed to work my traffic so it works like intended. I am really happy with the choice of PNW, theres so much to see. I'll check misty moorings soon... as for expanding regions i ll probably do it before the end of sales... probably north, maybe north AND east.

Shortspecialbus : i ll try all the three free airports an when i ll know the region better  ill decide on a sort of home airport from where journey will start and end.

Thanks all for kind advice.

Ludwik

The other 2 free airports aren't the same quality as KHQM.  Not a dig on them, or anything like that, but KHQM is designed to be representative of the payware airports so that people know what they're going to get if they buy them.  The others are somewhere between the "enhanced" airports that have been done for FTX Global and the payware airports.  KHQM is special in that regard.

That said, 7WA3 is in a slightly nicer spot, I think :)  2S1 is in a somewhat poor spot for frame rates and such.  KHQM isn't in a bad spot, per se, but I just like the area around 7WA3 better.

I'm putting way too much thought into this haha.

-stefan

I have done some flights all over the 3 airports. I'll keep 7WA3 for now as basecamp ,smaller than KHQM and 2S1 is not suited for my twin... Let's go exploring PNW.

Ludwik

Archived