Wondering about the size of the final N.A. OpenLC?

I wonder what the size of the file will be in GB's being that I have only about 16 GB's of room left on the drive that hosts P3D v2.x

Can any of the Dev's, give me an estimate as to what size it might RTM as?

I am wondering...

Hello,

This has already been asked and answered and the answer is that since it has only just entered testing

there is no forecast size.

You are probably running out of space in any case if that's all you have left.

No hard drives work as well as they should when they are full.

If that 16 GB is less than 10% of the size of your hard drive you are over the limit for the drive. It will not work at optimum efficiency. Nick is right. "It's a squeeze" does not work! 

On 5/6/2016 at 6:48 PM, Ron Attwood said:

It's amazing how, in ten short years, we've gone from 'No one will ever fill a 250mb hard drive, to 'If you've 'only' got 16GB left you're running out of space.' :D

250MB was effectively nothing even 10 years ago.  Even 15 years ago I was buying 20GB HDDs for reasonable prices.  I think if you jump back about 30-35 years, then 250MB is getting pretty big. 

-stefan

ABsolutely true, Ron!. When I first started flight simming I had a state of the art PC with 4Mb of ram and a 40 Mb hard drive which I compressed with Norton Utilities to 80 Mb so that I could get FS and Falcon on together!. 

Kev

On 08/05/2016 at 1:18 AM, shortspecialbus said:

250MB was effectively nothing even 10 years ago.  Even 15 years ago I was buying 20GB HDDs for reasonable prices.  I think if you jump back about 30-35 years, then 250MB is getting pretty big. 

-stefan

I used 250MB (a) It sounds pretty small to me and (b) because I couldn't remember what a 'big' HDD was 10 years ago.

4 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I used 250MB (a) It sounds pretty small to me and (b) because I couldn't remember what a 'big' HDD was 10 years ago.

Fair enough :D  It's somewhat memorable to me because I remember we upgraded from my 286 with a whopping 20MB hard drive to a Pentium 60 that had a 512MB hard drive, if I recall, haha.  That was a long time ago.

-stefan

'98 for me. I had a 286 with a 100 mb hard drive, and upgraded to a Pentium with a 500 mb hard drive too !  In 1981 (35 years ago) we didn't have home computers. In '85 or '86,  you could get a Timex- Sinclair a Radio Shack Tandy computer, or a Commodore.

LOL

Sue

HA! I still have my Timex-Sinclair and Commodore! 

Darn, I wish I did!

I remember the Flight Sim on the Timex. I was so thrilled when I saw the jagged vertical line of the runway come into view. That had to be in '83 or '84...

I still have my Timex Sinclair 2600, and a Tandy. All I ever managed to do in the Timex Flight sim was crash. I didn't have any directions on what the control settings were...

LOL

Sue

my first taste of flightsim was on my brothers computer.  It didn't even have a hard drive and I don't remember what memory it had.  It had 2 51/4? floppy drives  and the monitor colors were cyan, magenta and Im not sure -- It wasn't RGB and Im not even sure it had that.  but it was mid 1980something and I spent hours on that thing.

my first PC that I owned was a 286 and I don't remember its HDD or memory.  I do remember though that I had a creative soundcard with SBtalker and I eventually wrote a program that could read the BIOS and it used text to speech to greet me like a HAL computer might.  It was one of the few programs I ever wrote but I was proud of my accomplishment (and it was an accomplishment to me)(my brother was the programmer)

29 minutes ago, ridinroun said:

I remember upgrading 2mb of ram to 4. It was expensive.

Expensive indeed.  My first PC, back in 1988, was a 16Mhz 386 Pentium, with 16MB of memory and a 40MB 5.25" hard drive.  Along with a floppy disk drive. Cost me about US $3,500 (in 1988 dollars!) including the 9-inch VGA display.  Ouch.

In today's US dollars (adjusted for inflation), that would be about about $7,000.  Double-ouch, indeed.

41 minutes ago, DesertPilot said:

Expensive indeed.  My first PC, back in 1988, was a 16Mhz 386 Pentium, with 16MB of memory and a 40MB 5.25" hard drive.  Along with a floppy disk drive. Cost me about US $3,500 (in 1988 dollars!) including the 9-inch VGA display.  Ouch.

In today's US dollars (adjusted for inflation), that would be about about $7,000.  Double-ouch, indeed.

:-) my first rig was an 386sx 16 MHz in 1991 with a 40 MB Hardrive. Later on I brought an 80 MB HDD Seagate for 800 DM to get more HDD space :-) Only for playing Red Baron and Wing Commander. Long, long time ago...

My first personal computer was an abacus.  Then I got a slide rule in junior high school.  Then when I started my real world flight training, an E6B (lovingly called the "Whiz Wheel").

THOSE were the days.  Didn't need no stinkin' power cord or recharger.  Or batteries.  :D

Floppy drives?  You mean you missed the fun of using a Commodore 64 with a cassette tape to load your flight simulator?   Shame on you.  I used to stay up way past my bedtime playing B1 Bomber on it.  :D 

On 5/6/2016 at 7:34 PM, Penzoil3 said:

If that 16 GB is less than 10% of the size of your hard drive you are over the limit for the drive. It will not work at optimum efficiency. Nick is right. "It's a squeeze" does not work! 

Actually, it is about 5 % left of my 320 GB drive.  The sim works like a charm, with no outward negative effect. I do though auto-defrag all my drives each time, after BIOS ends its session.  

I have always tried to keep at least 33 % of the drive open, but your system will use other drives that have unassigned space for temp files, etc.  I have a ton of that, but wish to keep P3D v2 on this drive. I don't believe that N.A. OpenLC will be over 16 GB, but if it is...then I will have to address that with a product move.  

Cheers,

Archived