Another Mosquito bites!

Adam Banks

Hi Adam, when I got my emailshot for this I wondered if it might be one you'd be getting. Glad you did - I can look at a few of your shots first before I decide whether or not to go for one myself! As you say - a classic aircraft, but I have this weird thing about twin engine 'planes in that I don't like looking out the cockpit and seeing those big lumps right in the line of view. Not keen on the King Air's and the like for the same reason. No problem with the PBY5 or DHC6 as the high wing takes them out of the line of sight.

Anyway, thanks for posting these, and they are cracking shots.

(I can feel myself weakening already)

25 minutes ago, andy1252 said:

but I have this weird thing about twin engine 'planes in that I don't like looking out the cockpit and seeing those big lumps right in the line of view. Not keen on the King Air's and the like for the same reason. No problem with the PBY5 or DHC6 as the high wing takes them out of the line of sight.

You could try the freeware Dave Garwood Mosquito first - to see if you can live with those (big!) engines either side of the cockpit. I suppose, at the end of the day, it's just not a "sight-seeing" aircraft - forward visibility being more important in multi-role combat.

Adam.

EDIT: I forgot to add that (as you can imagine) this new JF version is a great improvement on both the DG freeware and the old JF (FSX) version.

13 minutes ago, Adam_NZ said:

I suppose, at the end of the day, it's just not a "sight-seeing" aircraft - forward visibility being more important in multi-role combat.

Definitely not for sight-seeing, for me one of the "outside looking in" rather than "inside looking out" sort of aircraft. Incredible things though, and used for all sorts of amazing tasks in their day. Just in passing, my second and last "career" was as an antiquarian and used book shop owner, and I got called out several times to buy up collections of aviation books. Mostly, unfortunately, it was a case of being called in by an ex-flyer's widow following the passing of her husband so I never got the chance to actually speak to any of these guys, but I did acquire a couple of collections from ex-Mosquito pilots. One book was a small selling memoir about the Mosquito actually written by the late owner, and I'm pleased to say it was sold on to the son of another such pilot who then took it to a reunion of the survivors of those flyers and had a fine old time reminiscing with them over it.

2 hours ago, Adam_NZ said:

You could try the freeware Dave Garwood Mosquito first - to see if you can live with those (big!) engines either side of the cockpit. I suppose, at the end of the day, it's just not a "sight-seeing" aircraft - forward visibility being more important in multi-role combat.

Adam.

EDIT: I forgot to add that (as you can imagine) this new JF version is a great improvement on both the DG freeware and the old JF (FSX) version.

Couple of things - from your 1st & 2nd shots it looks most of the bulk of the engines is under the wings & pilot visibility forward & side should be pretty good.

Also, are the interior & instruments 'crisp', & how did you find the FDE?

Thanks

TTM

3 hours ago, TigerTigerM said:

Couple of things - from your 1st & 2nd shots it looks most of the bulk of the engines is under the wings & pilot visibility forward & side should be pretty good.

Also, are the interior & instruments 'crisp', & how did you find the FDE?

I *like* seeing those two wonderful Merlins out of the window (bug*er the view!!) LOL. I may post up some VC shots - but I'm sure they appear in posts from other people. If anything, they may be a little too crisp. The VC is pretty battered/worn but it's all sharp and legible. Too early to say about the FDE (not having flown one in RL LOL) - but it doesn't flick around the sky like some (bad) aircraft do. It certainly appears to have weight and inertia - so it doesn't immediately strike you as "wrong".

2 hours ago, Stillwater said:

Great shots, Adam. And do not forget to grab the freeware sound package that Martyn found!

If anyone can post a link to it here, I'd be very grateful. It may be the same one I found on my HD - but unfortunately any old info.txt files seem to have got lost, so I've no idea where they originally came from. Definitely freeware, though.

Adam.

1 minute ago, Adam_NZ said:

I *like* seeing those two wonderful Merlins out of the window (bug*er the view!!) LOL. I may post up some VC shots - but I'm sure they appear in posts from other people. If anything, they may be a little too crisp. The VC is pretty battered/worn but it's all sharp and legible. Too early to say about the FDE (not having flown one in RL LOL) - but it doesn't flick around the sky like some (bad) aircraft do. It certainly appears to have weight and inertia - so it doesn't immediately strike you as "wrong".

If anyone can post a link to it here, I'd be very grateful. It may be the same one I found on my HD - but unfortunately any old info.txt files seem to have got lost, so I've no idea where they originally came from. Definitely freeware, though.

Adam.

Thanks Adam

Also interested in the Merlin FW files source.

Bit of a b--r that JF has a deal on the 146, & also the Mosquito deal running concurrently.

Least they could do is space them so the C. Card gets a breather. :)

TTM

6 hours ago, VH-KDK said:

Wonderful shots of a classical aircraft.

Might add this to the toy cupboard as a  birthday treat in a few weeks time.

23 minutes ago, Adam_NZ said:

Adam.

Martyn, could you post the link to the free sound for Adam?

Archived