Waves

skimmer

After watching the Meigs Field intro video I am reminded that one thing that is missing in all FSX are waves on shores and any where the waters meet land or structures.Sure sometimes if the angle and distance are just right you might catch a glimpse of some but they are sporadic at best. Anyway it would add a lot of realism. Any thoughts ?

Correct. Waves on Shores are back in 3.2

Some mentionned the effect is less pleasant to see than in FSx, are too fast and please note that waves on shore do not get displayed on add-on scenery. Look for them on default shorelines only.

THIS IS NOT P3D 3.2 DEFAULT WAVES ON SHORE and they aren't displayed on top of specific sea textures :

25170084259_9238320c15_b_d.jpg

Orbx Southern California

If you mean the small shoreline wavelets breaking to the shore, I can confirm these are indeed back in 3.2. They look a bit different from FSX (as far as I recall them), but they returned. Some hate them as unrealistic, but I am happy we have them back. They're not always/anywhere present (depending on wind, I think), but taking off from KSFO and making a round trip along the San Francisco shore you'll usually meet them somewhere.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi guys,

FYI, in most of the FTX Regions we use our own version of these shoreline surf effects that are a bit less pronounced and move slower.

On the other hand, we discovered that these types of effects (they are essentially short repeating movie clips placed on top of the water) can have a pretty significant impact on resource use and may lead to micro-stutters, particularly in areas with complex shorelines and/or many small islands. Thus, we generally limit their use to areas with wide sandy beaches.

Cheers, Holger  

Hi Holger, you cought me. Flying nearly exclusively in ORBX land, I obviously observed your ORBX waves instead of the native P3D ones. At least yours don't look bad.

Kind regards, Michael

That is what I was thinking also Holger. Maybe some discussion at your next team meeting could be about waves. Like an application related to the amount of sparse grasses and parked aircraft at airports except we could choose wave effects as none, light, medium or heavy.

Thank you:)

13 hours ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Thus, we generally limit their use to areas with wide sandy beaches.

Now I know why I haven't seen any waves in Norway i P3D v3.2, hundreds of islands & virtually no beaches

If there is going to be an adjustment for waves it should tie in with how much wind there is for P3D

Oh well.  That's put me off having 3.2 then!  I quite like the Orbx waves....when you see them,  but was hoping to get them with my photo scenery as well.  Mind you, I expect that would be unrealistic because the default shorelines are very inaccurate and don't match up with the real thing in Photo scenery anyway.

John

17 hours ago, robrooke said:

waves in p3d v3.2 are totally unrealistic & I wish there was a way of turning them off.    waves on shoreline maybe but all around a marina no thanks.

regards.

I couldn't agree more. I hope we can find a way to turn them off completely. Having no waves is far better than this.

Doug

Do I remember correctly that water effects in general are very difficult for scenery developers to work with? Massive memory resources required for even simple stuff? If this is true, what would need to change for more realistic water effects to be available at a minimum computing price?

Vbazillio, those waves in your video are to much. Way to white and big. I have the FSX/ACC and even those are less. If orbx does build a wave injector I hope the waves are grayer and much smaller. Thanks for that video.:)

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 8:37 AM, banjoman1960 said:

+1

i hate them

cheers

Ralf

Same here, better to have nothing that something that is totally unrealistic.

A choice to have them on or off would be a great idea for those who do like them.

7 hours ago, skimmer said:

Vbazillio, those waves in your video are to much. Way to white and big. I have the FSX/ACC and even those are less. If orbx does build a wave injector I hope the waves are grayer and much smaller. Thanks for that video.:)

Totally agree. However yesterday, I saw some waves which didn't look awfull :

Indeed, at least a tuning slider or an ON/OFF switch maybe a good idea ;-)

Well, if you don't like them there is a way to stop them showing in P3Dv3.2 and that is to reduce your water

settings.

John

1 hour ago, JohnY said:

Well, if you don't like them there is a way to stop them showing in P3Dv3.2 and that is to reduce your water

settings.

John

Just made a quick test by changing settings from OFF, LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH to ULTRA and shore waves are still there : 

What did I wrong ?

To remove the wave effect on the shore, you have to set SPECIAL EFFECTS to LOW. 

On 28.3.2016 at 0:15 PM, vbazillio said:

Just made a quick test by changing settings from OFF, LOW, MEDIUM, HIGH to ULTRA and shore waves are still there : 

What did I wrong ?

To remove the wave effect on the shore, you have to set SPECIAL EFFECTS to LOW. 

Apart from the shore waves: I think Low is the best setting as it seems most realistic and has the least performance impact.

Greetings,

Bermuda

Archived