Jacksons - Tapini - Yongai

bernd1151

We have left Jacksons early in the morning as we plan to fly a few government officials on a “how can I increase my votes” mission. Naturally the trip is paid by the government and naturally these guys do not settle with an ordinary Caravan, they insisted on the executive version.

We are already well into the flight and prepare for our first stop over, Tapini.

1.jpg

The most important thing now is to find the goat trail on our right side, because that one will guide us to find the correct path into the airstrip. And we are too slow for that approach

2.jpg

Aaah, here we go. Unfortunately there is no time to marvel at the small water falls to the left. Maybe another time

3.jpg

Don’t get excited boys. There is worse to come. You haven’t been to Yongai yet

4.jpg

5.jpg

Nope, the rooster is here to stay. He’s needed for breeding

6.jpg

And off we go again, hold on tight

7.jpg

8.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy yourselves

9.jpg

Ok, and now comes the dull part: Yongai. As a first, we are on the wrong approach path. Yikes

10.jpg

Ok, one more time

11.jpg

If you want, you can start your prayers NOW!

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

You liked my flying? Oh, thank you sir. It’s all in a day’s work. Tips? Well…no, no, I don’t take coins

16.jpg

Thanks a lot gents

29 minutes ago, TigerTigerM said:

Excellent set Bernd

Re landing at Yongai - can you recall the approx. KIA when you touched down?

& does the Caravan have reverse thrust? & did you have to use it??

TTM

TTM, both the Grand Caravan and Pilatus PC-6 have reverse thrust, but I didn't have to use it. My KIA on approach was 105 knots, which went down to 85 knots after touch down. I applied the brakes at 60 knots and brought the plane safely to a stop. It's not too difficult, because it's first a bit uphill

1 hour ago, bernd1151 said:

Thanks a lot gents

TTM, both the Grand Caravan and Pilatus PC-6 have reverse thrust, but I didn't have to use it. My KIA on approach was 105 knots, which went down to 85 knots after touch down. I applied the brakes at 60 knots and brought the plane safely to a stop. It's not too difficult, because it's first a bit uphill

The uphill certainly helps.

Are you flying the Carenado Grand Caravan??

TM

Great set of shots and storyline.

Cant give enough thanks to all the guys posting not just screenshots but a story, Tim and I always wanted to see this happen.

Bush flying is about a challenge and having fun, it's seat of the pants stuff, no computers other than a GPS to help find these remote strips, PNG doesn't have much in the way of a road network, these bush pilots are the only link to help in times of emergency and suppliers of vital supplies, the locals have a deep respect for these pilots, and that respect is well earned, PNG is somewhat of a final frontier for pilots.

Have fun guys and please tell us of your adventures.

cheers

Ken

Yes TTM, that's the Carenado Grand Caravan EX

20 minutes ago, Ken Hall said:

Great set of shots and storyline.

Cant give enough thanks to all the guys posting not just screenshots but a story, Tim and I always wanted to see this happen.

Bush flying is about a challenge and having fun, it's seat of the pants stuff, no computers other than a GPS to help find these remote strips, PNG doesn't have much in the way of a road network, these bush pilots are the only link to help in times of emergency and suppliers of vital supplies, the locals have a deep respect for these pilots, and that respect is well earned, PNG is somewhat of a final frontier for pilots.

Have fun guys and please tell us of your adventures.

cheers

Ken

Hi Ken, I used to visit PNG well back in the late 1980s and early 1990 about 5 to 6 times, coming from the Philippines, so it wasn't too far. Despite the dangers there for foreigners (mostly in Port Moresby and then at night), I fell in love with that country. My wife and me explored a lot of it by small plane. The people are just fascinating. One of my top places in PNG is Madang. This friendliness I also encountered in the Philippines btw. And because of that past memorable experience I am so happy that you and Tim provide us with these terrific places to fly into in PNG. Makes me almost want to go there again.  

Great set and story, I have a brother that worked for a mining company in PNG so its great to see it come to life. He recognises the small strips but says Port Moresby has changed a lot

Archived