FS Global Mesh will not be produced anymore?

aua668

Hi,

On the FSPilot website I found the following statement:

March 4th 2016: FS Global 2010 and Ultimate series have reached a very low stock level. We will not manufacture these again. So get them, as long as they are available.

Does this mean, that these products will be discontinued?

Or will the download version of 2010 in the  FTX version be the only one in future? So no Ultimate.

Rgds

Reinhard

Who buys physical products these days? Pay for postage and have to wait for delivery.?

Digital addons will be available for ages to come. Simmarket & other online stores are full of way outdated addons that few will every buy again. I costs almost nothing to keep digital products available for sale for the odd few who may buy them

I agree but there is still a small market for the hard copy especially for us simmers with lousy internet connection. I bought Ultimate via Disk because i would still be downloading it now ! It is 120GB and my internet download speed is 200kbps.

Anything over 40Gb and I prefer to wait for the Disk. The problem for me with very large downloads is that it ties up the internet for other users and is susceptible to download errors or disconnects over a long period of time even when using a download manager. Nothing worse than downloading for many hours to find a corrupt download message when you try to install.

4 minutes ago, jjaycee1 said:

I agree but there is still a small market for the hard copy especially for us simmers with lousy internet connection. I bought Ultimate via Disk because i would still be downloading it now ! It is 120GB and my internet download speed is 200kbps.

Anything over 40Gb and I prefer to wait for the Disk. The problem for me with very large downloads is that it ties up the internet for other users and is susceptible to download errors or disconnects over a long period of time even when using a download manager. Nothing worse than downloading for many hours to find a corrupt download message when you try to install.

+1, even though I live in a civilized area. I am currently working on an Orbx download since yesterday, and my family gets a bit upset...

I own both 2010 and Ultimate.  2010 is the download version and Ultimate is the DVD package version.  I have 2010 installed because it is the standard Orbx uses.

Ultimate is indeed a pain to install but there is now an installer available that cuts down the install time considerably.  Before the installer became available it took hours to install Ultimate.

I really can't tell the difference between the two after they have been installed.  5m resolution (Ultimate) or 9m resolution (2010) looks about the same to me when flying over the mountains.  And is the difference between the two in installation sizes...24gb (2010) versus over 100gb (Ultimate) worth 4 meters of resolution? 

Perhaps if you comparing them on a topographic map you would notice the difference but flying over the terrain at 2 to 5 thousand feet AGL the brief glance you get is, to me, undetectable; especially if you are not intimately familiar with the area.

Noel

21 hours ago, scottharmes6 said:

There's also freeware mesh available for most of the world, and where there's not, there is freely available elevation data to make your own.

Cheers,

+1.  I am perfectly happy with the free mesh that I downloaded.

I will say that I actually like a hard copy of software or at least an electronic copy that doesn't rely on the continued existence of the store or company I bought it from.   I have many hundreds of dollars worth of Orbx digital downloads from FSS, but it still bugs me that if something happened to the internet, Orbx, or the FSS (meteor, zombie apocalypse, global economic collapse, bankruptcy..), I couldn't ever do anything requiring a full re-install, because of the hypothetical inability to access the "unwrapper".   I feel the same way about my digital downloads from Steam, Origin, and Eagle Dynamics.  Nothing is too big to fail.

I have old software on CD/DVD that I can still use, even thought the companies may no longer exist.  Now my really old games on floppy disk might be a challenge since my current PC doesn't have a floppy drive!

Could be a marketing ploy to sell more. You see many "closing down" sales these days for shops that appear to have been "closing down" for years!!! It costs very little to produce CD's and DVD's so maybe FSPilot could still supply on order; that would save them holding large amounts of stock (if that is their problem?) I live in Melbourne, Australia and download speeds are horrendous, our internet speeds are "third world" IMHO. No way I would bother to download 100+ Gig products, at least not until Australia's internet speed improved significantly. I cannot understand why FSPilot will not manufacture hardcopy in the future unless handling costs are prohibitive? I would pay more for a hardmedia than a download to compensate the additional handling cost.

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 8:46 AM, h3pilot said:

+1.  I am perfectly happy with the free mesh that I downloaded.

I will say that I actually like a hard copy of software or at least an electronic copy that doesn't rely on the continued existence of the store or company I bought it from.   I have many hundreds of dollars worth of Orbx digital downloads from FSS, but it still bugs me that if something happened to the internet, Orbx, or the FSS (meteor, zombie apocalypse, global economic collapse, bankruptcy..), I couldn't ever do anything requiring a full re-install, because of the hypothetical inability to access the "unwrapper".   I feel the same way about my digital downloads from Steam, Origin, and Eagle Dynamics.  Nothing is too big to fail.

I have old software on CD/DVD that I can still use, even thought the companies may no longer exist.  Now my really old games on floppy disk might be a challenge since my current PC doesn't have a floppy drive!

This is a very interesting post because you listed all the most probable reasons for an apocalypse (i love to investigate this argument), anyway one of the first thing to miss it would be the energy supply, so even your DVD's would become unusable. Also the optical supports have a limited life, even if they are not scratchy, the supports that are printed and not masterized, last a little more because the method is different. It's also interesting to notice that if you materize on a CD AUDIO (that costs more than the other CD-R's), it lasts much more than the Others CD-R, so it's a market reason, because with the CD-AUDIO already you pay the rights for the music.

Archived