The OZX Grumman Goose HD Redux Now Released!

Jay Kae

The team over at Aussiex would like to introduce you to our latest freeware project - The OZX Grumman Goose HD Redux.

The Grumman Goose first took to the skies in 1936 during the golden years of aviation and was immortalised in the TV series "Tales of the Gold Monkey". Within the sim fraternity there have been a number of addon versions of this classic aeroplane and Microsoft's rendition of this rare and famous aircraft leapt into our simulated skies towards the end of 2006 with the release of the final version of their long running simulator series - FSX.

The Grumman Goose itself is extremely rare with only 345 airframes produced. There are approximately 60 remaining in service throughout the world today and the number of pilots with endorsements on this type are few and far between. We have been lucky enough to have access to a pilot who has flown the Goose and has been able to assist with our remodelling of the  aircraft's performance files.

The Goose has proven extremely versatile and has seen operational service as a freighter, passenger transport, military transport and even as a flying yacht installed with bars and toilets. It has held roles with Army, Airforce, Navy, Coastguard and has served around the far flung, four corners of the world.

Microsoft's model of the G21A Grumman Goose has been a sleeper; well received in certain quarters but providing generally ho-hum graphics and flight model. It had a bland interior and was crying out for some high quality paints. When the team at AussieX started investigating this aircraft for our HD Redux treatment it was also discovered that the performance files for this bird were derived from an assortment of different Goose models; a lot of fine tuning was going to be required to get this bird to behave as close to the real life aircraft as possible.

We think we have succeeded with this ambitious tasking. We offer two different models of the Goose - the original model with 450hp Pratt & Whitney radials and an uprated version dubbed the 'HP' (High Performance) with more powerful 650hp engines. Both models have had significant performance tweaking to make them behave as much as possible like their real life counterparts. In addition to this remodelling of the flight characteristics we have overhauled the interior of the aircraft with high resolution virtual cockpits. Engine gauges have been recalibrated for both engine models of our Goose and there are a number of different virtual cockpits available in our aircraft.

Finally we have provided six high-definition paint schemes for this aircraft in both 450hp and HP-650hp versions. These 4096 pixel textures include every rivet, screw, dent and panel-line hand placed on normal, specular and diffusion texture maps. What this means for you the pilot is a gorgeous rendition of the metal framed G21 Goose just waiting to grace your monitor with realism and authenticity.

Please take the time to download our freeware update to this rare and beautiful aircraft and let us know how much you enjoy her by posting your screenshots and stories over at Aussiex.

Download from this link http://aussiex.org/forum/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=633

What a fantastic job has been done on this!!!! And for free for the love of it. Simply amazing, an absolute must have for anyone serrious about FS. Thank you guys for the major amount of time and persistance you have have put into the complete overhaul of this clasic bird for our community to share.  :o :o :o

cheers.

I was on here last night and I thought the boys were joking when they said it was being released today!

Thanx Butch and all those who contributed. Wonderful work and a nice "free" add-on.

Mr. Microsoft owes you guys a great deal!

Frank

Well done OZX crew. Like others, I can't believe the generosity of this "family" of flight sim enthusiasts. I guess you have moments of pride when you see the results of your efforts.

Quite genuinely deserved. Thank you one and all.

I'll put another $20:00 in your donation box...I think it's worth more, but I am on a pension and have committed myself to buy anything John Venema puts out.

Cheers

Hank

Thank you all for the kind words

@Hank, for a lot of us out there, not just OZx boys or any other people from projects I am involved in, this is not about becoming rich, it is about having fun with our hobby, keeping the interest alive. Thank you for donating mate, every bit is appreciated

Butch, Pam and Steve are damn proud of this package and so they should be, it is amazing and I can only be proud of being a tiny little part of it

They sure can be proud of it Jay. I've just been for a flight taking off from Hobart and landing near my place on the D'Entrecastaux Channel (opposite Bruny Island). With the other great piece of software from REX it was just amazing. The reflection in the water, the spray, and the detail on the actual aircraft was brilliant. I think it's going to be one of my favourite planes to explore in.

Mind you I still have to get a better score than zero with my FS Flying School in the Cessna. That's when I try to do it as real as I can. For "fun " flying it's going to be the Goose. Thanks again to all the team..... as us Aussies say "Bloody marvelous".

Cheers

Hank

Oh dear... I didn't realise this thread was here. **slaps head**   :D

Thanks very much for the kind comments guys, we had a great time putting this together and its an even greater treat to hear your all enjoying it. I also made sure we had some VH reg's in there. :)

@ Hank - That is a VERY kind gesture and I'd like you to know I am very touched by it.

@ Russ - Yes it feels good to get it out but there's still a lot to do. As for the next project, I've already thought of a couple but that's all I am saying. ;D

@ JV - nice looking airfield you have there, and the plane too. :)

Cheers

Butch

• 11 years later...

Thanks Chaps. Jolly good find as google wasn't my friend but extremely good at finding outdated Ozx links.

Yes it may be old but doesn't mean it's not worth a look especially as I now have the hardware to run properly!

It's such a shame to leave a good aircraft in the hanger - I'm off to get it's virtual COA and then explore Alaska......

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

I tried that, it worked, only the gauges don't show up, as they need to be 3D

QSRLSa8.jpg

WOW Bernd! Good on ya! That looks fantastic. Now we only need somebody who can do the gauges.

• 1 month later...

I thought I was the only one still looking for FSX addons and fixes these days. Funny how FS2020 seems to have completely reignited the passion of the flight simming community. I know it did for me. Not to mention all the newcomers who are just discovering the joy for the first time. All these years later, FSX is still just as fun as it was when I was a teenager, now I'm 37 :)

Archived