SRM request. Hoping for a region to fill the void between SCA and CRM

Airwolf

Hey Orbx team,

I am sure I am dreaming/wishing but would it be possible to create SRM in 2016 now that SCA has been made.  I have all the regions and I just feel that there is a big hole in between CRM and SCA. 

It would be awesome to fly from SCA area (Las Vegas) to CRM directly within a full FTX region like SRM.  Though I have to currently fly in SCA and then NCA or PNW, and then to CRM or NRM to stay within the FTX regions.

I know I can use hybrid mode but filling the hole between the NA regions would just make this area mega awesome.

SCA is epic - very grateful for it and thank you

Your wish will be in part fulfilled with OpenLC NA US in a few weeks, I think.  We will have a much better landlcassed terrain and new textures. That will make a lot of difference . I agree that flying from JAC to SoCal requires now to look more at the gauges than down below !  The default is pretty awful.

This hole between CRM and SCA  has some interesting areas like all along HW 395 which is unfortunately excluded from NCA and SCA for the most part and around Salt Lake City/Provo  but there are also many (most of it)  places of much lesser interest to be detailed in a fat region, IMHO. So let's see whether OpenLC does the job !

I would support this and would certainly buy it. The Salt Lake City area alone (with the airport now under development by another developer) would be worth this. While I am looking forward to OpenLC US, I don't think it's a real substitute for a Region, at least not based on my experience with OpenLC EU. 

Kind regards, Michael

5 hours ago, Airwolf said:

Only thing is with hybrid mode and upcoming OpenLC NA US - I am really hoping not to see textures of fields covering of mountains (apparently that what happens at certain areas when Hybrid mode is on).  Hence the need for SRM FTX region

Fields or villages on mountains/volcanoes are one of my pet peeves too. I've not seen any in OpenLC EU or NAN... so far. It is a landclass problem and an OpenLC is, at its core, a new landclass map.

A poll would require alternatives. Anyone would be in favor of SRM - as long no other of his beloved projects suffers. SRM or New England or France (Dominique, are you listening?) or...  

Kind regards, Michael

Michael

I agree with you that the GSL/Wasatch range area is worth something much better than what we have but honestly, Nevada, East of 395, well, its not that great a landscape. France lost big in John V poll last year after GE and IT, so it won't be in the way :). New England hmmmm, boring and enough of cold climates !  Give me Arizona/New Mexico or South Florida :lol: ! Now if Hawaii is among the front runners (cf . John V's recent post) do it right now, right there.

I just want to enjoy flying over all the Southwest desert colors and terrain that make up things like all the National Parks of Southern Utah or the colors of the painted desert and seeing things like tumble weeds and cactus as the more seen items in Auto gen. I'm holding off on SCA for now but thats due to lack of space on my hard drive.  SCA was a great call for the next NA region based off of how popular NCA was and with what could become with Pilots Edge.

Would a SRM be the next best fit or try something different like New England Maritime with its interesting rocky shorelines and foothills inland offer among other things...that would be tough CEO call and a good amount of making that call would be based off of what OLC lower NA will offer.

These guys like every place with spectacular coastlines and majestic mountain ranges -- my observation.  With the exception of maybe Chile or SW Alaska (Aleutians), they have done those regions already.  OK maybe we could throw Hawaii in there, or some other place a bit off the beaten path, or even Japan.  But for the most part, they've done their thing.  So now they decide if they want to continue with mostly spectacular coastlines or primarily majestic mountain ranges.  Or just focus on Europe....  Will be interesting to see where they go after Germany hits the virtual shelves at FSS.

To me Southern Rockies is the ultimate no-brainer.  I think they will do the area sooner or later, but I'm not basing that opinion on anything other than my own twisted logic.  Would not be surprised to learn that they are already pouring the foundation for this.  Also would not be surprised if we are told that CRM and NRM didn't sell well, so sorry, no SRM.  But still I think they get there eventually.  We will see.

I guess there is a misunderstanding creeping up in this thread. The OP spoke of joining CRM to SCA which is basically Nevada. That is IMO a non-starter with OpenLC coming soon. Now if you speak of something like a band 100 miles left and right of the Rockies crest, from Denver to Phoenix, the true SRM. That is something entirely different ! But, in any case, let's wait for OpenLC to see what OrbX can do.

It might seem that we are defining the SRM coverage differently.  I think I remember seeing a coverage map, a long time ago, that was closer to what you describe Dom.  I think that there should be in fact two new regions.  SRM and something else that we call the American Southwest -- not sure what the name might be in FTX code, but that would be your joining section that the OP is looking for.... Nevada, Utah and Arizona.

I have to disagree Dominique. I like OpenLC in Europe, but when you have it set and fly around the UK, then switch to the full region, it's a DRAMATIC difference. IMO, OpenLC is good for areas that don't have regions yet. It's better than default scenery, obviously, but nowhere near a replacement for a region. Also, SRM would cover more than just the state of Nevada.

SRM to me is Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. This is a huge range for one region in my mind. Utah alone with its national parks, the Uintas, Lake Powell and " The greatest snow on earth" I would donate in advance for development.  KSLC Salt Lake City...

2 hours ago, Ripcord said:

It might seem that we are defining the SRM coverage differently.  I think I remember seeing a coverage map, a long time ago, that was closer to what you describe Dom.  I think that there should be in fact two new regions.  SRM and something else that we call the American Southwest -- not sure what the name might be in FTX code, but that would be your joining section that the OP is looking for.... Nevada, Utah and Arizona.

SCA did Las Vegas area that is inside Nevada - I really hope FTX guys can make this region.  American Southwest will be awesome.  The whole region in real life is amazing.

2 hours ago, Chunk said:

I have to disagree Dominique. I like OpenLC in Europe, but when you have it set and fly around the UK, then switch to the full region, it's a DRAMATIC difference. IMO, OpenLC is good for areas that don't have regions yet. It's better than default scenery, obviously, but nowhere near a replacement for a region. Also, SRM would cover more than just the state of Nevada.

You are correct - it is a Dramatic difference; hence we all need this area.  No one likes a "hole" in a scenery.  The need to fill the "hole" is important.

1 hour ago, lixfeldt said:

SRM to me is Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and Arizona. This is a huge range for one region in my mind. Utah alone with its national parks, the Uintas, Lake Powell and " The greatest snow on earth" I would donate in advance for development.  KSLC Salt Lake City...

I am willing to pay for this double the standard rate.  I am surprised that Colorado was never planned in the works.  These states in real life have the most gorgeous scenery produced by nature anyway.  When I am flying to SFO or Las Vegas, I can't keep my eyes off the window.  The mountains, the deserts are just sublime and I get exhausted after taking so many photos in my camera.  One never gets bored with this area.

38 minutes ago, neucoas said:

I want SRM more than i want SCA :D The combo PNW-CRM-SRM-NCA is all that i need.

Once you have that combo - add SAK and PFJ - so you get big chunks of FTX land.

On top of this having more airports for CRM and NRM are needed.  KJAC area is bada$$, the scenery is magic; and the best part is you need CRM to enjoy KJAC.  So to sell a region more make some bada$$ airport vice versa and you instant winner.  I can not get enough of SAK-PFJ-PNW-NCA-SCA-CRM-NRM

I believe we all should politely bug John and the developers slowly so that they all feel the need to fill that giant "hole" in that region.  It will be satisfying to for all of us to see that scenery "hole" filled

:lol:

Nevada resident here.  :D  I agree that there is a "hole" right now that includes Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona, but primarily Nevada with the way the surrounding regions are right now.  And I also agree that of those 4 states, the parts of Nevada that aren't covered by a "full region" are primarily all  desert.

But saying something like, "...honestly, Nevada, East of 395, well, its not that great a landscape" is like saying "well, honestly, 95% of Australia is not that great a landscape."  Last time I looked at the 4 regions I own for Australia, I see a heck of a lot of desert there too. And if Australia...the very first "big region" product from ORBX...hadn't sold enough, I doubt ORBX would still be in business.  

People are naturally going to want full region coverage for the places they live, and where they would enjoy flying in their simulators.  I'm willing to wait and see what the southern NA openLC does for the area.  But if ORBX ever does a Utah-Colorado-Arizona full region and left Nevada out of it, I'd seriously have to wonder what the heck they were thinking.  Talk about having a "hole" in the middle of the scenery then...just because it's desert...like most of Australia...  :huh: :lol:

(I'm not complaining.  Just offering a different POV for those who don't like deserts.  Plus, the pain meds I'm currently on for my recent nose surgery may be contributing to this post.  There isn't much of ANYTHING that I give a rat's rear about right now.  GREAT pain meds.  And when I step out onto my patio and gaze across the vast and wonderous desert landscape in my field of view, I can't help but think, "Look at all the pretty colors!")  :P :)

4 hours ago, FalconAF said:

Nevada resident here.  :D  I agree that there is a "hole" right now that includes Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona, but primarily Nevada with the way the surrounding regions are right now.  And I also agree that of those 4 states, the parts of Nevada that aren't covered by a "full region" are primarily all  desert.

But saying something like, "...honestly, Nevada, East of 395, well, its not that great a landscape" is like saying "well, honestly, 95% of Australia is not that great a landscape."  Last time I looked at the 4 regions I own for Australia, I see a heck of a lot of desert there too. And if Australia...the very first "big region" product from ORBX...hadn't sold enough, I doubt ORBX would still be in business.  

People are naturally going to want full region coverage for the places they live, and where they would enjoy flying in their simulators.  I'm willing to wait and see what the southern NA openLC does for the area.  But if ORBX ever does a Utah-Colorado-Arizona full region and left Nevada out of it, I'd seriously have to wonder what the heck they were thinking.  Talk about having a "hole" in the middle of the scenery then...just because it's desert...like most of Australia...  :huh: :lol:

(I'm not complaining.  Just offering a different POV for those who don't like deserts.  Plus, the pain meds I'm currently on for my recent nose surgery may be contributing to this post.  There isn't much of ANYTHING that I give a rat's rear about right now.  GREAT pain meds.  And when I step out onto my patio and gaze across the vast and wonderous desert landscape in my field of view, I can't help but think, "Look at all the pretty colors!")  :P :)

Oh my goodness, Falcon, I hate to think that I I contributed to raise your blood pressure at such a time ;)  ! Ouch, last thing you need with such a surgery  !

Nobody said that Nevada shouldn't have an OrbX treatment :). Stay in the hole (hell ?) of default scenery. Actually, it already had one, where you live, in SCA. And the rest of Nevada will soon have a new landclass map with OpenLC NAS, I've OpenLC EU and NAN and it is a great improvement over default. Interesting that you talk of Australia. I "fly" regularly around Alice Springs with the nice OzX bush strips around. The OrbX scenery for Central red AU is nothing more than a OpenLC there and I enjoy it quite a bit.

The issue is, do we want more, does the rest of Nevada deserve the full fat treatment at the necessary expense of others regions (work force is limited) ? It is a question of priority, no more no less ! I say no, some say yes. None of us have a say or will influence John V's decision anyway :lol:. Cafetaria talk.  Nice talkin' to you and all that.

I'm out of this thread now but not without wishing you to get soon out of your pain. Really. Enjoy the last few days of this year as much as you can in spite of your misery in your beautiful, one of a kind, city ! 

And looking forward for more posts on ATC in the SW from you ! 

PS I love deserts !

Hi FalvonAF I mostly agree up to the point of "People are naturally going to want full region coverage for the places they live". One of my most beloved regions if not my all-time favorites are the two NZs. And I live at the opposite side of the world. Actually I don't live in any of the ORBX Regions I own so far.

I'd substitute this sentence by "People are naturally going to want full region coverage for the places they know from having been there", which applies to several of the sceneries I own (including NZ) and is indeed a criterion for buying sceneries, not only form ORBX, at least for me. Maybe this also explains the relatively low sales of NZNI/SI as relatively few Americans might have been there, despite it's stunning landscapes and the ORBX rendition is top notch.

Kind regards, Michael

Excellent discussion guys

I just pulled all the kmz in google earth.  Yep it would be amazing to have full Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Wyoming and New Mexico.  Orbx Team can split SRM into 2 parts.

All those states showcase an awesome mountain range.  OpenLC NA can take care of the rest.  Though Gulf of California and Mexico areas look nice too (I can dream for the moment).

srm.jpg

Hi

IMHO I get more enjoyment flying in other areas of the world than I do flying in my home country. I think that when you fly in an area that you know 'like the back of your hand'

you spend more time criticising the errors in the layout of the landscape than you do flying and enjoying the scenery.

My favourite area at the moment is certainly the west coast of the USA and I would not notice if a small town was a mile off where it should be or a river or road had more bends in it than was being portrayed. I get my satisfaction from the general look of the area, seascape, mountains, snow, deserts etc.

I eagerly await wherever Orbx decides to build next.

Kind regards

Ian

21 hours ago, dominique said:

Oh my goodness, Falcon, I hate to think that I I contributed to raise your blood pressure at such a time ;)  !

LMAO!  You didn't.  And I wasn't aiming my post at you, although looking back I can see how that might have appeared I was as I referenced your remark about Nevada east of 385. Sorry about that.  Hazards of written communication. 

I was just trying to say some people would prefer mountains, some shorelines, some islands, some "flat lands", etc, etc.  And a lot of times it is because of where they live.  And that's fine.  Really.  And almost all of the ORBX "region" releases to date have included ALL of those things in them to some extent.  The two exceptions have been NRM and CRM.  They are the only two regions that haven't bordered an ocean shoreline.    

I'm a realist.  ORBX puts out some incredible products for flight simulation.  They are arguably the best available right now.  And they do cover the whole world with the Global Base textures and the Global Vector for roads, rivers, lakes, shorelines, etc.  

But realistically, it's going to be years, and possibly decades, before they manage to cover the world with the "region" quality at the same rate of release.  That's NOT a complaint from me.  Seriously.  Why?  I'm already 62-years old.  I will probably be dead before there are ORBX full-fat regions for the entire world.  :D  I accept that.  I'll buy whatever they decide to produce in the order they decide to produce it.  But "instant gratification" isn't something anyone should expect from ORBX region development.  Heck, even if JV announced tomorrow they WERE gonna do an NA Southern Rocky Mountains, I'd accept the fact I probably wouldn't see it for at least a year from now, or even longer.  That's the nature of the size of the ORBX business vs the quality products they decide to produce.  And that's fine with me.

PS - Thanks for the "get well" comments.  Today was the first time I slept for more than 4 straight hours since the surgery a week ago.  I crashed for 9 hours.  I was finally so exhausted from lack of sleep that my body (and those GREAT pain meds) knocked me out for 9 hours straight.  :D 

Archived