ORBX-Low & Slow Aircraft To View The Scenery??

boleyd

I presently have a Carenado C152 which is a few years old. Since the PRIMARY element in flight simulation is the flight characteristic's accuracy I would like to know if anyone can vouch for the Carenado C152?

Or, is there a C152 out there that has a proper flight profile? I know the A2A C172 would be a good alternate but I have commercial issues with that company.

Carenado's C152 is indeed quite old and as far as its flight characteristic's  accuracy I don't believe Bernt Stolle did them so they probably aren't too accurate.  Stolle has been involved in a lot of their latest aircraft's flight characteristics, so with that being said, Carenado has come a long way since the C152 days.  Quite some time ago there was a decent freeware C152 out there but I don't remember if it was for FS9 or FSX.  Everyone here will immediately jump on board by saying A2A probably holds the "trophy" for most realistic flight dynamics but there are other good developers out there as well since you currently are having issues with A2A.  Real Air Simulations is pretty solid, so is Flight 1( they have a nice Cessna 172), Sibwings has a nice little Cessna Birdog and I just picked up the A1R Piel Emeraude which handles really nicely and is perfect for low and slow to name just a few.  Hope this helps.

Well, the very best is the A2A Cub. But if you're not going to buy A2A, then Ant's Drifter is very good second choice.  Ant also makes a really good LSA., the Eaglet, and is very well modeled, including the Rotax engine.  Sibwings Bird Dog is also very good, and has a wonderful greenhouse for sightseeing. I've never been that big a fan of RealAir's Champ, but many like it. There's a lovely Piper Pacer by Lionheart, I think it is. Lovely flight model, but as with the real one, not that great visibility out of the cockpit. 

All of of these have good to very good flight models, far superior to Carenado's C152. 

23 hours ago, HeH said:

You couldtry the Do27 from Digital Aviation. I had it running in FSX and have it currently running in P3D V3. It has great flight Dynamics, Sound is also fantastic as well as the VC.

Helmut

Hi Helmut

I had that plane in FS9 and I rank her among the 10 best ever made for the FS in 35 years.  I never got her in FSX as many users were complaining of a massive frame rate problem due to a poor porting as she was not rebuilt as a FSX native. And I thought that she was DX9 too.  Now I find interesting that she works OK in P3D !  Could you tell us a little more ?

On 12/21/2015 at 2:49 PM, boleyd said:

I presently have a Carenado C152 which is a few years old. Since the PRIMARY element in flight simulation is the flight characteristic's accuracy I would like to know if anyone can vouch for the Carenado C152?

Or, is there a C152 out there that has a proper flight profile? I know the A2A C172 would be a good alternate but I have commercial issues with that company.

I would add to these excellent suggestions, the Sibwings Antonov-2,  a big STOL biplane with a very nice wrapped around panoramic view. 

Hi Dominique,

I have to doublecheck, but I have around the same FPS as with the A2A C172. I'll Report later what Fps I get. If You get it You Need to study the Manual because if You use a TPM unit You have to do on Setting the right way. But that is it. As mentioned the Sound,VC and Flightdynamics are great. I had issues under Prepare V2.5 but with V3 it works  and with FSX of Course.

Regards

Helmut

55 minutes ago, HeH said:

Hi Dominique,

I have to doublecheck, but I have around the same FPS as with the A2A C172. I'll Report later what Fps I get. If You get it You Need to study the Manual because if You use a TPM unit You have to do on Setting the right way. But that is it. As mentioned the Sound,VC and Flightdynamics are great. I had issues under Prepare V2.5 but with V3 it works  and with FSX of Course.

Regards

Helmut

Thank you Helmut, good to know she's flyable in v3. I do not like to revisit old flames but I may make an exception for the Do-27. She is the quintessential bush plane :) !

Happy holidays ! 

4 hours ago, HeH said:

. Hi Dominique,

Regards

Helmut

Another followup. I did a litlle search at the usual places, people were complaining of opaque windows and non functional VC clickspots in P3D v2.4.  The latter work for you ?

As I mentioned early on I have been using the Carenado C152II. Bad flight dynamics make the entire flight sim process a farce and it becomes a scenery looker. I went to Mutley's Hanger and found a review of the C152II from Carenado. Here is a quote from it:

"Carenado say that their C152 was developed with real world data and the help of pilots. And I have to believe they did. The accuracy is second to none and as I am training in the C152 so I understand how it should feel."

Maybe it ain't so bad after-all.....

9 hours ago, ZIGGY said:

Hi, you could try the beautiful freeware C150 K from these guys at http://frenchvfr.free.fr/download.php?lng=en

it is imho the top freeware aircraft out there and it can get in and out of anywhere, is great for low and slow and is pretty accurate.

hope this helps, Merry Christmas :)

I better read the manual.:huh:

Downloaded, installed.

Engine went up in smoke whilst preparing to takeoff.

I did something wrong, or rather, didn't do something I should have!!

TTM

Aerosoft's Wilga is a cracker, much along the lines of the Do-27, plus you get a radial engine!  Excellent visibility, there is plenty of interest in the flight characteristics and the modelling and texturing are very good indeed.  They have a Pilatus Porter on the blocks and that should be good too.  If however, you feel that scenery is best enjoyed at a few hundred knots, then Dino's fine freeware T-45 hawk is fun, especially around the various valleys and canyons to be found in ORBX's regions and airports.  A2A's Cherokee and Comanche are right at the top if you want to go low and slow-ish but in truth I could name dozens of aircraft with which to enjoy our world.

• 2 months later...

Hello Dominique,

sorry for coming back that late with some Feedback. The opaque Windows I have a fix for to make the transparent again. Clickspots work for me. let me know if more info is needed. I will try the D0 27 with the new Papua New Guinea Airfields. Should work fine there there

Hi Heh,

I had completely forgotten about an older favorite of mine.  Aesthetically it may not be the best, however if you're looking for something to get you in and out of the Papua New Guinea airfields it the perfect thing for it. FlightSim Developers  International has a Pilatus PC6 Porter.  It's a little bit dated but not a bad aircraft.

Gary

On 21/12/2015 at 4:15 PM, binarkansas said:

For low and slow combined with realistic flight and great visibility I would suggest you look at Ant's Drifter ultralight.  It is very nice in all respects, as are all of his models. http://www.antsairplanes.com/drifter.html

I second this. Its great for admiring the beautiful OrbX scenery and it even has a GPS built in

1 hour ago, iflygary said:

Hi Heh,

I had completely forgotten about an older favorite of mine.  Aesthetically it may not be the best, however if you're looking for something to get you in and out of the Papua New Guinea airfields it the perfect thing for it. FlightSim Developers  International has a Pilatus PC6 Porter.  It's a little bit dated but not a bad aircraft.

FSD Porter will only work properly with DX9. With DX10 or 11 textures screw up. They would not update it when DX10 arrived years ago

The Paraglider will get in anywhere  with about 1 metre landing space even if every other plane fails

For ORBX Low and Slow I fly the Realair Scout, it was designed for FSX, but works just fine in P3D. It is a joy to fly

and you get 3 planes Citabria, Decathlon and Scout. (Regular or Tundra Tires & Floats)

Robert said thew will consider doing a P3D version, and if so with enhancements, we even asked for GTN support!

Cheers

For scenery viewing I use the freeware AltraMax Version 2 Ultralight you can find on Simviation.

It looks like a Quicksilver Ultralight. Only 60 knots max speed, unobstructed view except for a small 

instrument panel, positive stability unlike that trike in FSX that always wants to roll off to the side.

Stable and easy to fly with the keyboard, so I usually don't bother setting up my yoke.

17 hours ago, sightseer said:

you should definitely try Ant's Drifter and the RealAir Scout is a good one to have as well.  Flight1 has the realAir Scout package for FSX.  not sure if it works in P3d but Ants Drifter does.

Ants drifter has a demo you can download here     http://www.antsairplanes.com/downloads/AntsDrifterV110DEMO.exe

It has exquisite detail and lots of extra paints. Wheel and float versions available

On 12/23/2015 at 6:07 PM, Mike62 said:

Here is a link for the free Just Flight 152 and download is still active.  Old panel but great price.

http://www.justflight.com/microsoft-c152

Mike

I agree, I have 20+ hours in a 152 trainer and this sim pretty well nails it. Too bad we do not have motion control chairs to use. 

Sherm

How low and how slow?  For sightseeing, I like something with good visibility.

I use Ant's T-28 Trojan a lot.  I like its visibility, it can fly quite slow, and can use a short runway.

It also has the added advantage of being able to go pretty fast, so you can cover more terrain if you want.

A helicopter might be worth a look too.  (a hover is pretty slow :) )  I often use one to hover taxi around an airport or POI to check out the details.

Did not like the Carenado C-152II at first purchase, now I love it.  Go figure.  Here is my favorite 3 for low and slow.

Carenado C-152II

Ant LSA - just needs more fictional what-if paints

Alabeo Waco YMF-5

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:16 AM, aero-3fsx said:

FSD Porter will only work properly with DX9. With DX10 or 11 textures screw up. They would not update it when DX10 arrived years ago

Here are a couple of shots of the Porter in P3D V3.  I took one from the VC to show the cockpit shadows which work perfectly fine, as well as another from the exterior view.  I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.  I've been having a blast with it!!

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G6Yk

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G6Y2

11 hours ago, iflygary said:

Here are a couple of shots of the Porter in P3D V3.  I took one from the VC to show the cockpit shadows which work perfectly fine, as well as another from the exterior view.  I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.  I've been having a blast with it!

Thanks for the screenies, I will try the Porter again to carry me through till Aerosoft planes comes maybe this year.

16 hours ago, h3pilot said:

It also has the added advantage of being able to go pretty fast, so you can cover more terrain if you want.

A helicopter might be worth a look too.  (a hover is pretty slow :) )  I often use one to hover taxi around an airport or POI to check out the details.

The ultralights are great for viewing scenery but are too slow for long flights. I use the T6 when I have to cover a lot of ground.

Helicopters are good for hovering but you always have to concentrate on flying. One second of lapsed attention can get you killed.

12 hours ago, iflygary said:

Here are a couple of shots of the Porter in P3D V3.  I took one from the VC to show the cockpit shadows which work perfectly fine, as well as another from the exterior view.  I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.  I've been having a blast with it!!

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G6Yk

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G6Y2

Tried the Porter in FSX steam and in P3dv3.1. In FSX it flies okay but in the vc the windows initially show clear but after a few seconds go opaque. In P3d it flies fine but none of the lights work, the switches operate but the lights do not come on. very disappointed.

Well, the choices are many. I have grown attached to the Carenado C152 once I became confident that the flight performance was reasonably accurate. The interior is well done but the sound seemed to not be what I expected so I bought a sound package for it. That really sounded odd but the longer I used it the more natural it became. I have the ANT Eaglet float demo I landed it near Friday harbor without incident. The interior is good but not quite up to Carenado. The Porter looks like a real challenge. lots of panel items to attend to, but quite impressive. A Maule is another plane that also has a window below the usual side windows.

One thing that plagues me is "flying"an aircraft I could never afford. A well used C152 might make it and I could live in the back having sold my house and stashed enough cash for gas and maintenance. After hitting the lottery I might move up to the Bonanza. I am assuming its flight model is good. The Anniversary paint is quite nice. Good interior and reasonably fast. Depending upon the lottery renting a large hanger may be necessary. Jay Leno collects cars, I may collect aircraft.

Without ORBX all this subject would be moot.

2 hours ago, wedge1047 said:

Tried the Porter in FSX steam and in P3dv3.1. In FSX it flies okay but in the vc the windows initially show clear but after a few seconds go opaque. In P3d it flies fine but none of the lights work, the switches operate but the lights do not come on. very disappointed.

Wedge there are two options available if you want the lights to work. Both are rather simple.   The first is to copy the FSD light effects from your FSX effects folder to your P3D effects folder.  The other is to go to your Porter's Aircraft.cfg , locate the Lights section and then copy each respective light from an aircraft that you are pleased with to that of the Porter.  Here's another screenshot at dawn over Tapini, however I use A2A's Shockwave 3D lights for a more realistic appearance. 

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G6Zf

Any love for the DA20 Katana by Aerosoft out there?  I can't vouch for its flight characteristics though, not being a pilot and all.  I can say though that it is every bit as hard to fly as the A2A cub I also have. Whilst it takes a little bit of setting up in FSUIPC to get the buttons and switches working, it is, once done, a very charming and fun plane with amazing visibility.  I got it through Steam in the winter sale and still haven't put it down!

16 hours ago, iflygary said:

The first is to copy the FSD light effects from your FSX effects folder to your P3D effects folder.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try it on the weekend

16 hours ago, sunjunkiesi said:

Any love for the DA20 Katana by Aerosoft out there?

I liked it enough to get the DA42 as well but this is not a slow plane

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 2:05 PM, iflygary said:

Wedge there are two options available if you want the lights to work. Both are rather simple.   The first is to copy the FSD light effects from your FSX effects folder to your P3D effects folder.  The other is to go to your Porter's Aircraft.cfg , locate the Lights section and then copy each respective light from an aircraft that you are pleased with to that of the Porter.  Here's another screenshot at dawn over Tapini, however I use A2A's Shockwave 3D lights for a more realistic appearance. 

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshotsv2/image/G6Zf

Thx for the info Gary, I think I will wait for the new one.

cheers Reg.

Archived