What exactly is "Members reputation" ?

Jon Clarke

16 hours ago, Airwolf said:

lol...gave everyone in this thread likes for fun

You're trying to break the system, why is that funny? I seem to remember the system filtered out people spamming before, but maybe there are other algorithms that could improve the 'reputation' figure over time.

I agree JC.  I don't see the purpose.  If someone likes what you post they can tell you in a reply  There's really no need to tally scores.

If it were to have any value at all then dislikes should be tallied too and subtracted from the likes.  Your score could be a negative.  And it should be weighted against how long you have been a member and the number of posts you have made.

We are an international community of friends joined by a common thread of interest in flight simulation.  And we also talk about our other interests with each other in the  Pilot's Lounge.

We don't publicly score our friends and neighbors and co-workers in real life.  What's the purpose here except to boost egos?

Noel

49 minutes ago, birdguy said:

What's the purpose here except to boost egos?

To judge another's credibility, which is presumed to be a function of their popularity. Whether it does that is open to question.

Does that mean a person with high reputation numbers is more credible than one with low reputation numbers Mark?

A person who has been posting on this site since it began would quite naturally have higher reputation numbers than someone who only started here a year ago.  Does that make he/she more credible than the newcomer?

As a measure of credibility reputation points are indeed open question.

Noel

I have 388 points Mark.  You have 78.  Does that mean I'm almost 5 times as credible than you are?  I think not.  All we know about each other here is what we post on this and other forums.  We have little to no knowledge about each of our personal or professional lives.  These forums are a very narrow window and really lack real evidfence as to a person's credibility.

I have a hard time linking reputation points to credibility.  I thinks it's more a measure of how well a person answers questions and/or entertains with his posts.

cred·i·bil·i·ty
ˌkredəˈbilədē/
noun
noun: credibility
the quality of being trusted and believed in.

I don't think a person who posts pictures or writes well and garners a lot of points for that is more trustworthy or believable than a person who lacks those talents but is forum participant non-the-less.   It's really a popularity contest.

Noel

Do good numbers involve a pay raise? If so, bang away on that + sign if you would boys. Most appreciated.^_^

jsapair

I dislike social media. That is what this little measure adds to a flight simulations forum. It has absolutely no value. As mentioned, if I want to Like your cat/airplane pictures I will go to Facebook and applaud you with Likes. It was an "imprudent" decision to turn on this goofy thing which has no material value.

Archived