Alaska - late to the party

Adam Banks

I'm doing well for presents lately: this time it's a birthday present from BobL - FTX Alaska.

The texturing in this area is simply awesome - with lots of variety: glaciers, ice-floes, inlets, islands ... you name it. So much more rugged than my usual NZ stamping ground.

The only problem is that my knowledge of the geography of Alaska is pretty well zilch, so not only do I not know where the classic "beauty spots" are, but I get lost all the time!

If anyone could point me to the classic tourist viewpoints in this FTX area, I'd be very grateful! I don't have any airports for SAK (yet) paid or freeware.

What better aircraft to showcase my new acquisition than the stunning Manfred Jahn KC-97 with one of Jankees' marvellous liveries:

alaska_03_332_1280.jpg

alaska_02_845_1280.jpg

alaska_01_387_1280.jpg

These shots are in P3Dv2.5 - with HD Trees (not that you can see any!).

Adam.

Well your off to a great start with these fine shots . I would start with the airports that work with P3Dv2 : Homer , Yakutat . Hopefully places like Juneau , Ketchikan ,

Kenai and Gustavus will have the Triple's later this year . You can never go wrong with a trip out PANC Anchorage either to Homer PAHO or to Valdez PAVD .

This web site is a good read also : http://www.independenttraveler.com/travel-tips/alaska/planning-a-trip-to-alaska. And of course there is RTMM :

http://return.mistymoorings.com/. Anyway enjoy the Great White North !! .

Cheers

Brad

Glad you have joined the KC-97 and the SAK  team.

What a beauty of a plane as are all of Manfred's planes.

As far as good places to visit in SAK just shut your eyes and stick a pin in the coverage area, no, better use your finger as you may scratch the screen.

It is all that scenic you cannot go wrong.

Enjoy your new plane and scenery.

@Tim - is Alaska one of yours? Whoever did it, he/she/they deserve a pat on the back. It's a work of art :)

Adam.

Thanks! we appreciate your kind words, regions are always a team effort, I only played a small part (photoreal glacier processing and some lighthouses/helipads) in a team consisting principally of Holger, Alex, Neil, Chris, and the late Jon Patch, plus many generous hours donated to beta-testing by the Orbx team

Thanks! we appreciate your kind words, regions are always a team effort, I only played a small part (photoreal glacier processing and some lighthouses/helipads) in a team consisting principally of Holger, Alex, Neil, Chris, and the late Jon Patch, plus many generous hours donated to beta-testing by the Orbx team

Thanks. Sorry to hear about Jon. I'll dedicate my next few batches of screenies to him.

Adam.

Adam glad to see you in my former 'home for forty years'.  Having lived in both Juneau and Yakutat, I can vouch for their accuracy in Orbx.  Check out Mt St Elias, east of Icy Bay, it's one of the peaks marking the official border between Alaska and Canada.  In the 15,000 ft range, it shows up quite well. I look forward to the next Orbx Alaska - possibly the Alaska Range featuring Denali, Foraker and the rest.

Archived