Exploring Patagonia

bernd1151

A few weeks ago I happened to read a book by German aviator and researcher Günther Plüschow. It’s not a modern book, it was written by him in 1930 and it talks in detail about his flights above the Andes in South America. His plane was a 1926 Heinkel HD 24W on floats. Argentina and Chile had in those years very few landable places, but many small lakes.

He had his plane shipped to Punta Arenas in Chile in several crates and had to assemble it first before he could take off and photograph parts of the Andes

01.jpg

01a6e216.jpg

Plüschow is the one standing on the float. The name Tsingtau was used, because he had flown a mail plane in China prior to the South American adventure 

01b3aed1.jpg

Let the adventure begin

On January 28th 1931 he took off from Lago Argentino in order to continue to film him flying and exploring one of his most favourite sites in the Andes: the Cerro Torre and south of it theTorres del Paine. At the end of that day's flight he encountered apparently heavy downdrafts, which smashed his small plane into one of the lakes in that area, where it overturned, throwing him and his co-pilot out of their seats and killing both of them on the spot. The plane had its wings broken, but remained otherwise relatively intact.

Frank Dainese, who has given us ORBX fans the fantastic Monument Valley, has also done part of the Cerro Torre, some 450 kms north of Punta Arenas. And this is, where I am heading today, hoping the weather will be friendlier to me.

I don’t have a Heinkel HD24, but a Bücker Jungmann of similar vintage. Let the adventure begin again

144dca.jpg

I depart from a small airport close to Lago Argentino, the lake, Plüschow had used for his take-offs. It’s called El Calafate

260559.jpg

So far so good and the weather plays along

34ff6e.jpg

Absolutely breathtaking scenery. Thank you, Frank!!

4fe036.jpg

Holy sh…, where did that come from??? That took less than a minute

53e060.jpg

62b1be.jpg

Let’s not get too close to the mountain, turbulences will be the worst there

8b0d1f.jpg

9454e3.jpg

10569d4.jpg

Let’s head back, before this goes out of hand, but it’s fantastic to look at

11a8518.jpg

12f38f0.jpg

Approaching El Calafate again

138c6dd.jpg

Back on terra firma

1426806.jpg

Btw, people in Ushuaia claim (2012) that this is the original Plüschow plane. I am not so sure…after all those years. The lettering seems to be bigger on the original plane. But who knows….

One of the most interesting posts I have read for a long time.

Some amazing history about Gunther Pluschow and narration by yourself.

The shots you took are also surreal with the peaks and sky colouring making.

Very well done.

Archived