Dawn at Fraser Island and a sandy shore

VH-KDK

Following on from http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/89510-hervey-bay-airport/ we shall fly on to Fraser Island.

Fraser Island is the world's largest sand Island, the 6th largest island in Australia and the largest on the East Coast of Oz.

It is appx 120 X 25km in size.

4wd's are the only way to travel around the island.

For those planning to visit Australia I can thoroughly recommend a visit to Fraser Island.

1.1Cr5j.jpg

2.4cUeD.jpg

3.7HT00.jpg
Hervey Bay is the whale watching capital of Australia.

4.t86AM.jpg
Over the Great Sandy Strait.

5.O1Vgy.jpg
Cannot see any whales today. Cummon ORBX developers, how about "whale flow!!!!"

6.QN1yJ.jpg

7.VQNyP.jpg

8.Jx58F.jpg
Plenty of Dingoes on Fraser Island. Beware, unlike the ones at Ayres Rock, these really do bite.

9.QVDmt.jpg
The 75 Mile Beach Road is what it says. You are allowed to drive on the beach in Queensland.

10.ExGUf.jpg

Excellent ORBX scenery.

It is good to be back in the land of Oz.

The title in no way refers to the Australian Champion Olympic swimmer or the Eurovision winning English singer from the 60s.

A great narrative, and I have done my share of 4 wheel drive trips on Fraser.

Not only are the beaches beyond the ken of northern hemisphere folks, there are also superb, clear blue lakes, perched on the sand terrain.

For the boaties a safe inshore passage exists, and in a large embayment at the north end of Fraser, adolescent whales come to show off in the season.

A great narrative, and I have done my share of 4 wheel drive trips on Fraser.

Not only are the beaches beyond the ken of northern hemisphere folks, there are also superb, clear blue lakes, perched on the sand terrain.

For the boaties a safe inshore passage exists, and in a large embayment at the north end of Fraser, adolescent whales come to show off in the season.

Thanks Ian.

Only visited this part of the world once, but really loved it.

The one thing that would put me off living up there is the ginormous Huntsman (Huntspeople for the PC brigade) Spiders that live there, not that we don't get our share of them down south.

I hear the fishing isn't too bad there either.

Hi KDK, the Huntsman spider is your friend.  Cleans up an enormous volumes of insects, and does not leave web residue around (it doesn't make one).

Maybe the size of a small plate, but they are not venomous, but with their size can give you a nip if you try and train them!

Loved Fraser Island when I was backpacking through Australia 15 years ago... exploring the island by Landcruiser, swimming in fresh water lakes, BBQ's under amazing stars with a few VB's was amazing.

I guess I am biased as my name is Fraser so I guess was destined to love the place.

Is there much of the Maheno (not sure if I spelt that right) Ship Wreck left?

Cheers,

Fraser

Grand set these mate.

cheers

Iain

Thanks Iain.

Loved Fraser Island when I was backpacking through Australia 15 years ago... exploring the island by Landcruiser, swimming in fresh water lakes, BBQ's under amazing stars with a few VB's was amazing.

I guess I am biased as my name is Fraser so I guess was destined to love the place.

Is there much of the Maheno (not sure if I spelt that right) Ship Wreck left?

Cheers,

Fraser

Thanks Fraser. You went there the same year as me but we were only there for the day so I don't know about the shipwreck. I hope you kept the Landcruiser in 4wd. Apperently the locals get a bit touchy about 2wd chewing up the tracks too much. We had the rudest coach driver I have seen in my life, shouting at passengers who got up while we were tearing along the beach and then screaming at the driver of a 4wd who was only in 2wd. He had his turn on the way back when he drove through some lines of a group who were beach fishing. Quietened him down a bit.

Nice lighting here!

Thanks Mario. Dawn is nice.

Hi KDK, the Huntsman spider is your friend.  Cleans up an enormous volumes of insects, and does not leave web residue around (it doesn't make one).

Maybe the size of a small plate, but they are not venomous, but with their size can give you a nip if you try and train them!

They are a useful insect control but they scare the bejabbers out of me. They are very aggressive too when they have a nest and I have been bitten when working on our farm.

Does that minor airline still use the beach as its airstrip? I had a quick joy ride with them once!

Adam.

Not sure Adam. When we drove out from Dilli Village onto the beach there was a Cessna parked there but I was not quick enough with the camera.

Thanks for the memories (or should that be mammaries if talking whale) of a great place often visited - truly one of natures great playgrounds - excellent set.

Thanks Terrible T.

Plain beautiful. :)

Thanks RJ

Great shots!

Cheers Ziggy

Superb shots from OZ !! .

Cheers

Brad

Thanks Brad.

Great time of the day you chose!

And I agree missing the "whale flow"...

Love flying at dawn although any time is good.

Many thanks gents for all your great comments.

Archived