OLC_EU_v1.10 ~München~

Thanks, Wolter.

Contrary to Firenze, which looks great, I am not that excited about Munich. In know the shown area quite good. I am still under the impression, houses are generally too much scattered and should be better aligned along streets. Besides, there are no singular high-rise houses in the center of Munich, as far as I recall.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/60/M%C3%BCnchen_Marienplatz_Rathaus_Frauenkirche_Liebfrauendom.jpg

(This is the same area, only from another POV.) To be clear, I don't speak about finding a special house or alley or such, but about structural issues.

Best regards, Michael

Micheal,

please take into account that we are not recreating the cities as they are in real life, that would be virtually impossible and also would be completely out of the scope of the OLC_EU scenery, the recreation of the cities is generic and that applies for all of 'm, if we could copy our Maurizio a 1,000 fold we maybe get there in a few years ;)

Wolter, you are right. Creating something like in real world is impossible, you would have to use thousands of different objects to get close to reality. And as I unerstood openLC EU is not comparable to a full region.

As one who lives near Munich, for me the following things are important (and not only for Munich) when building such a scenery:

- Important and wellknown bulidings should be included (churches, industrial buildings, stadions etc.)

- the object coverage should be close to real life, buildings to buildings, parks to parks, water to water ....

When you post more screenshots, I might be able to see if there are some major bugs/misplacements.

I understand this, but I still think the general structure of a City should fit. I would even pay for addons (in the style of Cote d'Azur, which I'll certainly buy) covering better German Cities. This is even more pressing, as there is no alternative up to date P3D2 area scenery for Germany available at all.

Best regards, Michael

If you use the latest version of "google earth" with 3D buildings enabled, and zoom into cities like Paris, Prague, Vienna or Munich, you will get the hang of how European inner cities in general look like.

It's got nothing to do with acurately placing every single builing; Its the general use of street-aligned autogen buildings and less highrises that will make the impression as real as it gets.

I think ORBX has done a great job when I look at the screenshots of Italian cities. The others might need a little fine tuning still.

Looking forward to the finished update!

I live in Munich and I think it looks very decent. The mix of buildings is appropriate, and on that picture there are a number of landmarks I recognize. Sure, around the Frauenkirche (the church under the plane's nose gear) there should be more old buildings, but even so I look at that picture and don't think to myself "Nah, that's not what Munich looks like" - the same goes for the screenshot of Athens. I think that's all the detail we can ask for from a landclass solution.

And that is the key point. How many landclass products released previously go to the extent of openLC with GB's of new custom ground textures, vector shaped villages (25,000 of them in Europe), forest shapes, brand new autogen textures and building shapes, and major photoreal areas?

Please don't get openLC confused with a full-fat region which goes much further than an LC product.

Whilst openLC EU v1.1 is a major upgrade, it's not the perfect solution and conforms to the limitations of an LC product. We also really must focus on openLC North America now or it will never get done! :)

Sorry for being a bit insistive. I just spotted Iain's shots of Florence.

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/89512-open-lc-eu-v11-italy/#entry814856

While I've never been in Florence, I know a few other Italien cities and these shots look just perfect for what I would expect for a larger Italien City. Once more: Neither do I speak about photoreal treatment nor about single houses or even minor streets. In my opinion, these Florence shots are structurally perfectly proper and prove it can be done within a LC based approach while the Munich shot (and what I recall from flying over Munich in OpenLC EU 1.0 myself) is not (yet).

Kind regards, Michael

Hi Michael, currently country specific autogen settings and texturing are still "under construction". Pics showing a more realistic appearance of cities in other European regions than those around the Mediterranean will follow soon :) (this also applies to German urban development structures, roofs and facades).

This is just what I wanted to hear, Frank. So it's just a matter of time, which it certainly takes and which I am well prepared to give ORBX. After all, I understand our American friends are looking forward to "their" OpenLC, too (and which I'll certainly buy, too).

OpenLC is becoming a really promising product.

Kind regards, Michael

Hi JV,

Sorry to put my two cents worth in but I just think we sometimes need to step back a little as customers and remind ourselves what we are trying to do with our FSX flying, and why we are really buying Orbx products rather than photoreal such as Megascenery.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Orbx is very much about VFR, low & slow, and to be able to fly by dead recogning, with great looking scenery. So what do we really need to see??? I don't need to see my house or even my street, but I need to see is what we would see on our WAC Charts if we're fliying VFR (WAC Charts don't show my house either). I just need Orbx to allow me to pinpoint my position on the WAC chart. So a town or city where the town or city is on the WAC Charts, a large dam on the WAC Charts, hight power lines if it's on the WAC Charts. That's what we really need. When we get to an Orbx airport, we are after a little more detail as we are so close to the scenery, so accuracy here is important, which we get, and get fantastically which adds to the realism.

I've seen my town in Orbx, it is not accurate street by street, even parks are missing and they are irrelevant to the WAC chart. I can work out generally where my house is due to the shape of the town and that there are building in that area. That is enough. I have been on holidays to Venice, Paris, Florence, etc and honestly, Orbx's depiction of these cities are basically what I remember and enough for me to fly VFR, bring back great memories, and give me a basic idea of where I am. We just need the basics to fly VFR, enough tobe able to locate basically where we are. Orbx does it and makes it with beautiful eye candy.

When I'm in my 737, as long as Florence is where Florence should be, I'm happy as I'm flying too high and fast to really notice anything other than large landmarks and the airport.

On some occasions, I want complete accuracy for my view, so when I actually fly in a real aircraft, I can do a dry run, and be able to visually orientat myself, with a scenery that looks exactly like it will when I am up there. For this, I need something different to Orbx and I go to eg Megascenery, so when I'm flying for real, the scenery I see on my Nav flight, I have seen before and it's better for my orientation and safety as it does look very different at 3000 ft to ground level. But I use Orbx to fly in areas I'll never fly, but want to experience, and the accuracy to the WAC charts is what I need and Orbx achieves this very well.

So let's just step back a little and not worry about Orbx scenery being absolutely accurate to the street and house, but being accurate enought that we can fly VFR by it using our WAC Charts, and enjoy the views and the sensation of flying in something far better than default FSX.

Just my thoughts of an 'old fella' that's lived life a little.

These shots of the new version of Europe look great,  even if not perfect.  my own home is due on the next installment of open LC (PA, USA, NA) so I'm sure I might feel the same way once it is released.

However the part I'm looking forward to most, is Asia, Africa, and South America.  these parts of our globe have been completely neglected till Global and Vector, and I would rather have the whole globe done well than have my own hometown done perfectly.  lets let these guys get to it!

Archived