FTX EU Norway, I´m ashamed to be a Scandinavian!

After reading ALL posts on this forum about EU Norway and not to mention ALL postings on the Norwegian FS fourm, I have only one comment! I´m ashamed to be a Scandinavian and glad I´m from Sweden and live in Spain. Why? I have NEVER read so many negative postings about an ORBX scenery/region before. Nothing seems to be good enough here, everything is wrong. "I can´t see my cottage, this and that is placed 25 feet aside, the colors are wrong, trees are missing" and you name it.

Ok I know there are a lot of FANTASTIC scenery designers in Norway but that has nothing to do with EU Norway. You have to compare this region with default, nothing else. But no, many people seem to think that Norway is the centre of the word and everything should revolve around this county. 

As stated, this has taken the ORBX developers a year to finish so, If I were JV I would say "Sorry guys, with such a view you can just forget that ORBX will spend any more money/time to develop anything more for Norway"!

OK I understand that we have to report anomalies in a scenery but there must be some kind of limit for what people demand to be included in a scenery. 

I have been in the FS-world since FS95, I own EVERY single ORBX scenery and must say that what ORBX has done to the FS-world is outstanding. Thank you for that and many prosperous years in the future. 

Best coming hollyday greetings from a sad and disappointed...... 

Jack

the Swede in Span 

Hi Jack,

That reminds me the same  behaviour when England was out :) As for me, I presume I know more about Jan Mayen than most of Norwegian people themselves O0

I love it just the way it is!  That being said, I wouldn't mind having updated obstructions, beaches, and other valid requests.  However, I do think that requests such as moving a lighthouse 25meters and changing their entire seasons model is a bit ridiculous.  This is still by far the greatest and most realistic scenery I've ever seen.  Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Rob

Right though, we should not be so hard! 

I see that this is long-haul project: most Orbx developers, it seems, are not from Norway. 

See also, throughout the part, developers are accepting willingly the feed backs passed by local simmers.

And so, imo, I think Orbx will soon improve this great project - and this is quite natural!

Cheer up mate, everything will be well soon!

Cheers,

The Orbx team welcomes feedback from Norgwegian simmers and indeed Holger is taking notes furiously for the SP1 which he hopes to have completed by Jan/Feb.

We don't take offence at people wanting their 'home' region to look perfect and their critique is seen as a positive, not a negative. After all, it's community feedback that makes all our products get better and better.

As with all things Orbx, a version 1.0 release is always just the beginning of the journey :)

Good that feedback is taken and that the product will evolve and even become better as it always have with Orbx scenery. But I kinda agree a little with Jacks post(and it's very rare that I agree with Jack). I feel it have been a little to much "constructive" critisism going on :P .

The Orbx team welcomes feedback from Norgwegian simmers and indeed Holger is taking notes furiously for the SP1 which he hopes to have completed by Jan/Feb.

We don't take offence at people wanting their 'home' region to look perfect and their critique is seen as a positive, not a negative. After all, it's community feedback that makes all our products get better and better.

As with all things Orbx, a version 1.0 release is always just the beginning of the journey :)

That's how to treat a customer John! Thank you!

As for everybody else, there is a good way to deliver critisism and a bad way. As a Norwegian I'm proud of what ORBX has created and honored by the way Holger & Co. has been following up questions and requests.

FTX Norway is stunning in every way, and as someone who has dabbled with scenery design for years I can't imagine all the hard work that has gone into creating this package. The Norwegian geography is an extreme challenge for the FSX/ESP scenery engine with all its limitations. Much harder than Alaska and the British Isles.

Just remember this is a simulation.....not a reality machine.  JV and the ORBX team have done a wonderful job and strive to do better and even accept harse remarks from users....they are to be commended. 

I would like a lot of things from ORBX, but seeing my house isn't one of them!  If I get the sense that I am flying over a known area and can follow the usual landmarks needed for VFR navigation, I am a happy camper...oh simmer.

Good Job JV and the gang, keep up the good work.

Henry

Not being intimately familiar with the world outside of where I grew up (San Francisco Bay Area) and where I live now (Southeaster New Mexico) I am happy to have beautiful places to fly over. If I have never seen a remote cove in some bay that might be missing or a small hill that might be missing then it makes no difference to me. I do not examine and compare Orbx regions with Google Earth.

However, when Global first came out I was so disappointed in the textures of my beloved Southwest I went over the top in my criticism of Orbx which got me an almost year long ban. Having recently paid my debt to the Orbx community I will not let that happen again. Global was updated and the textures in my part of the world look great now.

Being a second generation Norwegian-American I really appreciate the opportunity to have such a wonderful (to me) opportunity to fly over areas my grandparents told me about.

Noel

simmerhead2 nailed it.  8)

Thanks JV for your wise words.

Norwegians are very enthusiastic about FTX Norway. Enthusiasm can therefore in some cases be perceived as complaining.

As said earlier: It's not complaining. It's useful information for making a fantastic scenery even more complete, particularly when it comes to important landmarks.

We "low and slow" pilots like relevant landmarks.

Yes, FTX Norway is still fantastic!!!!   :smile:  :smile:  :smile:

Now this is how a TRUE customer, service and quality minded company speaks.

Thank you JV for making it even easier to decide upon spending more money on coming releases (ENNK etc).

There will always be bad apples, but 99% of the Norwegian community is merely trying to contribute to improving an already fantastic product.

I guess this merely shows how dedicated and excited all of us are, and I look forward to the rest of the journey.

LOL

i checked a few community screenshots of Norway before buying., inside my mind I knew I wanted it though and once that seed of doubt was sown I have been allocating my Christmas expenditure to accommodate :)

I have Norway now.

Richard for me has made the best reply so far, when FTX for Europe England first appread in UK it was moans from the photo scenery guys... I never moaned, its a different tangent, some were indeed saying ... I cant see my blurry house as they could afore with photo scenery ... but hey, if you like VFR flying , you cant beat ORBX scenery for generic stuff, and if you dont like that there is more fine third party detail available too ... if Norway is a success I'm sure we will get the same.

Hi. I have yet to buy an ORBX product that disappointed me. As someone said above, the trick is to compare each one with the FSX default option not with a photo. As for flying over my house, I can't do that in ORBX but I sure can find my neighborhood. In a large-scale scenery package, that's pretty impressive if you ask me!

The real ORBX lovers are on this web site. By doing great constructive comments, posting incredible screen shot and some crazy guy like me spending hours doing a video to express the love.

I personally so don't care about small missing detail. It's the whole picture I'm looking at. The immersion.

England (as an example) is not as spectacular as Norway - NZ, simply because it's flat and most GA or even tuber simmer enjoy mountain view, river, lake and ocean.... it's called variation. why on earth do you think they did the whole US-Canada west coast. It doesn't mean that Australia or England, Whale are not beautiful. They are real. I personally still love the gold coast of Australia.

Ben

Now I haven't seen any of the complaining about Norway, but saw a lot of the complaining about the original ENG release and the funny thing is that NONE of us were complaining about what we were accused of. We didn't want to be able to "see our house" or "the tree on the green", we just didn't think that as a product it matched the quality of Orbx's previous releases.

I will go looking for the Norway complaints now, to see whether they're also getting tarnished with the same brush we were when, after a couple of patches and fixes, astonishingly, the UK started looking a lot better. Much Wenlock is still in the wrong place, but close enough to identify, and my house is "one of those autogen buildings, roughly" but it looks like the UK and now, more importantly, doesn't look anywhere near as obviously by different developers as it did when first released.

FWIW, I've never been to Norway to comment on the accuracy, but it looks a lot better than default! :)

Cheers,

Ian P.

Please forgive me for fast-reading this thread in a whirl.

I have already said it (also as the developer for 31 airports with 29 photosceneries as we speak): I am never ashamed about an occasional "blackpainter". I know what I do. I know what ORBX do. And it seems to me, we haul ass together. So stop lending ears to trolls, ignore them, and enjoy our common effort. If in doubt, have a single malt whiskey.

Please forgive me for fast-reading this thread in a whirl.

I have already said it (also as the developer for 31 airports with 29 photosceneries as we speak): I am never ashamed about an occasional "blackpainter". I know what I do. I know what ORBX do. And it seems to me, we haul ass together. So stop lending ears to trolls, ignore them, and enjoy our common effort. If in doubt, have a single malt whiskey.

Couldn't agree more :D

Skål

beerchug.gif

xmas.gif

and on that note we close the topic

Archived