Aussie Rugby star playing American Pro Football in Seattle?

Ripcord

I thought I'd share this with my friends from down under -- sounds like they are having a bit of fun with it in Seattle.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11707932/seattle-seahawks-coach-pete-carroll-coy-team-signing-australian-rugby-star-jarryd-hayne

Thanks for that, as an Aussie and a keen follower of the NRL this announcement by Hayne came as a shock out of nowhere, he is at the pinnacle of his NRL career and had a magnificant 2014 season. I just can't see how he can adapt to a completley different  game of football and likewise how his new team mates will accept him. Time will tell...

Pete Carroll, the coach of the Seahawks, publicly uses rugby tackling techniques for teaching. The Seahawks have a few Canadian players, so what's one more Anglophone country?

I wonder where the NFL league minimum salary would rank in NRL?

Sure hope the NFL's version of political correctness doesn't crossover into rugby.  Anymore, a good, what was once a legal, hit in the NFL gets a flag, especially a DB hitting a WR.  The advantage has swung toward the offense in too many ways--the hardest position to play these days in the NFL is defensive back.  Too bad--defense used to be an important aspect of the game.  Not now: let the offense score big--that's what the fans want, so more money flows into the NFL coffers.  Just my 2 cents from a fan since the 50s and 60s.

Don't worry.....Rugby is as good now as it has ever been. We are not culturally like things have gotten in the States. Are cops still don't carry any guns in New Zealand as we are a civilized people that play Rugby like Hooligans....or was that Hooligans play like Gentlemen   :D

Sure hope the NFL's version of political correctness doesn't crossover into rugby.  Anymore, a good, what was once a legal, hit in the NFL gets a flag, especially a DB hitting a WR.  The advantage has swung toward the offense in too many ways--the hardest position to play these days in the NFL is defensive back.  Too bad--defense used to be an important aspect of the game.  Not now: let the offense score big--that's what the fans want, so more money flows into the NFL coffers.  Just my 2 cents from a fan since the 50s and 60s.

I agree. Not that the fans want more scoring and less defense, but the NFL doesn't want all their star players getting injured. I say let them play, within reason. It is also true that back in the fifties and sixties, you didn't have 6'6" tight ends and 275 lb defensive ends that run like deer and bench press small cars like you have today. Oh sure, you had a handfull of them, and you did have some genuinely tough dudes back in the day, but now every team has them -- freaks of nature -- and more coming out of college every year. Better helmets, better protection, the harder these nuts can run into each other. Give these guys leather helmets and old school pads today, they would all get carted off the field.

I prefer some basic rules, not what we have today. Imagine the look on this Aussie guy's face when somebody sits him down to explain all the rules and limitations on who plays what position, and what that means in terms of who can do what to whom.... who can use hands, who can push off, who cannot, etc.

For sure, though, the league minimum now is close to $500k. Easy to see the logic.

I agree. Not that the fans want more scoring and less defense, but the NFL doesn't want all their star players getting injured. I say let them play, within reason. It is also true that back in the fifties and sixties, you didn't have 6'6" tight ends and 275 lb defensive ends that run like deer and bench press small cars like you have today. Oh sure, you had a handfull of them, and you did have some genuinely tough dudes back in the day, but now every team has them -- freaks of nature -- and more coming out of college every year. Better helmets, better protection, the harder these nuts can run into each other. Give these guys leather helmets and old school pads today, they would all get carted off the field.

I prefer some basic rules, not what we have today. Imagine the look on this Aussie guy's face when somebody sits him down to explain all the rules and limitations on who plays what position, and what that means in terms of who can do what to whom.... who can use hands, who can push off, who cannot, etc.

For sure, though, the league minimum now is close to $500k. Easy to see the logic.

All true, all true, Rip...The guys are bigger and faster than in the past--too many chances for injuries.  So, yeah, some of the rules are justified, but still, DBs aren't that much bigger than in years past, at least that's my impression.  BTW, just watched my Giants win the NLCS on a walkoff HR.  Sweet!

Hah, now we've moved from Rugby to American Football to Baseball!!

Stew, I see you live in PG. I went to school there at DLI form 88-90, and I think a couple others here on these forums did as well. Had a car and got around a bit, loved PG and the area, even if it was expensive for a young guy in the service (the views at least were still free). At least now I can visit KMRY in P3D, which is nice.

BTW, in 89 when your Giants were playing the A's in the World Series, I was sitting in a Cessna 152 on the Navy North Ramp of KMRY getting ready to take a lesson when the big earthquake came thru. Didn't realize quit what had happened until I got back from the lesson and started noticing all the traffic lights were out as I drove back thru town to the Presidio.

DLI in 88-90, eh?  I went there in 67-68.  Taught Chinese there when I got out of the AF--just retired in 2011.  Lots of spare time to:  house clean, grocery shopping, going to Germany to visit our 14-year active AF daughter, taking care of the wife's honey-do list, and of course flight simming.  PG is still beautiful, btw; and DLI has grown BIG beyond what you can imagine.  They're running out of room, so all the new buildings are multi-storied.  In '89, my then 7 year old daughter and I were building a Legos thing and the house shook pretty good.  As I recall, the power was out for a few days after that and it was unseasonably warm, thus giving rise to the phrase "earthquake weather."  LOL.

Growing up in the US, I have always followed NFL football, but a few months ago, while channel-surfing, I stumbled on a Rugby match on a local cable channel which is dedicated to European football and Rugby.

I'm now quite hooked! I can't really get into soccer (what the rest of the world calls football), though I did cheer on the U.S. team during the World Cup.

Rugby is a different matter - I can't get enough of it... Really enjoy watching it, and NFL football now seems incredibly boring by comparison.

Yeah I am just like you (almost). I really get into World Cup, especially after having spent many years living overseas and seeing the expat community really get into it. That was cool.

Rugby was soemthing that I also grew to appreciate in the years when I just didn't have any American football to watch. Would love to go to a game someday, a real game, someplace in the UK or Australia or NZ, where they really take it seriously. I would have to watch a bunch more of it to understand the strategy, and the game within the game, the way I do with our football.

NFL Football to me will never be boring, though.

And the sheep run scared too 

I am not a Kiwi but from America and just live here now......I never got that Aussie Kiwi rivalry but I will say Australia always looks really bad to the rest of the world with that one. Reason being you will always look bad when you pick on a smaller kid in the school yard and you will look twice as bad when the smaller kid shows you up......regardless of the outcome Australia will always look bad on that rivalry to the rest of the world, especially with comments like that.

Or be the bigger country and behave accordingly if you are capable of that .

The Aussie - Kiwi rivalry goes back a long way and is part of what we are - both sides of the Tasman. We don't expect people from outside the envelope to understand and for what it is worth it doesn't matter what the rest of the world thinks - we don't give a  - and I say long may it continue.  :D. Interesting comment about schoolyard bullies and being shown up. I can think of numerous occasions where the worlds police force has had it's nose bloodied including not that long ago in  SE Asia.

Many nations have rivalries that are born on the sports field but at the end of the day in Australia and New Zealand both nations will be in there boots and all if the other is threatened. Heard of ANZACS? Spoiled only when the letters AC were replaced by the letters US.

It is much better to have sporting rivalries than warring rivalries. It is fair to say that without bullets and bombs some other large democracies wouldn't have many or any friends.

Oh Yes, on the matter of sheep - they were the catalyst for NZ inventing Velcro. ::)

The major reason why he would do this is he wants to start making a real pay check. Rugby Players don't have anywhere close to NFL Salaries. Also to play in 100,000+ Stadiums is a real buzz I would imagine.

I wish him luck

He isn't good enough. He'll be back.

Well I am born in Canada to American Parents and have lived in Canada, USA, Australia and now New Zealand......Difference between Aussie Kiwi rivalries and others is others have settled differences through actual war, Aussie Kiwi Rivalry is just silly to me and leads to poor taste in comments at times.

It is much better to have sporting rivalries than warring rivalries. It is fair to say that without bullets and bombs some other large democracies wouldn't have many or any friends.

Canada and USA settled their differences in the war of 1812 and have since shared the largest peace time boarder with an intertwined relationship that is seen no other place in the world.....and they have great sports rivalries.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4i_qe9W6Dk

However making comments about beastiality on a forum based on a person's national origin crosses the line in my POV, their are young people using this forum as well.

Anyhow back on topic

• 3 months later...

american football is over. they cant even make a good hit without a foul they might as well put flags on there hips

Same with our unique game here in Oz,  AFL. Was a member of the now defunct Fitzroy and went to every home game. It was almost no holds barred then, some bloody good punch ups involving both teams and hard. Now you can't even look at another player the wrong way without giving away a free kick. And if you go in a little hard and mess up your opponents hair do.....

Don't even bother watching on tv anymore.

Archived