TrackIRv5 your preferences gentlemen

Aussieflyer38

I have taken the plunge after chatting with you guys about TrackIR. I'm still in the experimental stage having only just installed it, and the jury is still out. Bearing that in mind, I find the pro clip more difficult to set up than the hat clip. Maybe it's just me, but I find I get better more consistent coverage than with the pro clip. As I said, I'm still trying to work it out. Having my "eyes" on the side of my head feels a bit unnatural. Cant wait for the day when they mount the sensors in a pair of glasses, that would be perfect. I also have a problem with the looking down, vision only goes down a bit passed the rudder pedals, and looking up and back trying to see the Twotter flap handle is very difficult. I've been fiddling with the settings trying to get it right but without success. Can you guys throw any light on this for me. Thanks.

Don     

Hi Don.

I have had Tracker for about a year now and must admit I do not use it much.

Its not because of its operation but more my Rig setup and the type of aircraft I fly.

I have a 3 screen setup so I get a wide perspective in the VC anyway and I prefer airliners to fly so im not looking back and out at the wing etc..

It just about gave me motion sickness with my 3 monitors.

And I could never quite get my panning settings right..always a bit fast.

In saying all that when I do fly a lighty I use it and its pretty cool.

I use the hat clip thingy and its a bit of a pain because I am forever moving the pickup on the top of my screens because I don't always sit in exactly the same spot or the right height.

I think the guys that use the big HD TV type monitors are loving them though..seems like the go with those

cheers stu

I Couldn't fly without it, it does take a bit of getting used to but once you do it's the best. I use the Track clip but if you have the hat clip to your liking you should be set.

there is a profile "Seth flight" at Naturalpoint give that one a try its very stable.  i also use speed 1    and smooth  50  . there are lots of suggestions on the web for settings

some of the better ones are at the OPUS  forum at  Simforums.   take it easy to start and do worry if you start feeling a little Queasy you will get over it.

Hi

I have been using TR4 for about 4 years and would not fly without it. You have to get the settings to how you prefer them yourself. Personally I have the Speed setting @ 0.4 and the smooth @ 50. Also I do not mirror the two sides to each other (left and right) but set them up idividually as I use 3 40 inch screens with the trackIR on the left of my center screen half way up so that it sits at eye level. Using the pro clip is a bonus because it clips straight to a set of headphones I use that are very similar to avionic headsets (I also use three small sceens for maps and the G1000 student). If you get your settings right for yourself it is an awsome way to get immersed into the sim.Also dont forget  you can use precision when needed.

Ken

It definitely takes some getting used to, but you will learn to love it.

Like Mbaclawski said, checkout Naturalpoint for the "Seth flight"" profile.

You can set Trackir up where you don't have to turn your head so far to the left or right, just a slight head turns so your eyes stay in your head.

Happy flights!

I belong to a  virtural carrier air wing, CVW-3. Landing on a carrier is quit a choir. Before I got track ir had lots of problems doing a good job at it. Now haveing track ir my preformance has inproved 100%. It dose take a little time getting used to it but worth it!! Won't fly with out it. I use the pro clip, have aviation head set so it clips on nicely. Hang in there!

David

Manlyman

I have the pro clip, but just stick with the hat clip. I haven't altered any settings, so I'm just using the default settings and it works fine. I'm certainly not going to start tweaking it - I've had enough of that in this hobby.

I have TrackIR 5, but do not use it in FSX. It only works correctly in virtual cockpit view, and I almost always prefer the 2D panel view. However, in combat sims it is indispensable.

CPU I7-960 @ 3.8 Ghz, Asetek Water Cooler

Asus P6T X58 MB, 6Gb RAM Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600Mhz

EVGA nVidia GTX 570, 1.28Gb DDR5 RAM

1 Tb SATA II HD, Kingston 128Gb SSD (FSX only)

Apevia 800W PS, Win 7 64-bit

I use track IR 5 and cannot do without it. When taxying with a taildragger you can better stay on the taxiway. When flying one can enjoy the scenery by looking sideways and one can better guesstimate the approach to the runway.

It gives a better real feel of flying by being able to look around.

All this of-course with a VC cockpit.

Regards

Hans

i7CPU 950K  @ 3.07GHz, NVDIA  480GTX, 1x 2tb harddisk, 1x120g SSD, Windows 7. 12Gb RAM.
FSX  Acceleration, REX Essential +OD order #81618 PCAviator,  REX 4
FSS0268702, FSS02677453, FSS0268467, FSS0247098, FSS0280629, FSS0285118, FSS0294782, FSS0304298

FS Global 2010, ORBX Vector, ORBX Global, FTX England, FTX Wales, FTX Scotland, FTX NRM, FTX PFJ, FTX PNW, FTX CRM, FTX: Global openLC Europe.

I run with the pro clip using the following profile:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Profile>
  <Name>1</Name>
  <Description>Copy of Default Profile</Description>
  <ExclusiveLoad>0</ExclusiveLoad>
  <TrueViewEnabled>0</TrueViewEnabled>
  <Curve>
    <Axis>0</Axis>
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <Inverted>0</Inverted>
    <Mirrored>1</Mirrored>
    <Limited>0</Limited>
    <Limit>180</Limit>
    <Type>0</Type>
    <Inputs>
      <Val>-49.7041</Val>
      <Val>6</Val>
      <Val>-30</Val>
      <Val>6</Val>
      <Val>-15</Val>
      <Val>6</Val>
      <Val>-7.39645</Val>
      <Val>4.10256</Val>
      <Val>-1</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>1</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>7.39645</Val>
      <Val>4.10256</Val>
      <Val>15</Val>
      <Val>6</Val>
      <Val>30</Val>
      <Val>6</Val>
      <Val>49.7041</Val>
      <Val>6</Val>
    </Inputs>
  </Curve>
  <Curve>
    <Axis>1</Axis>
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <Inverted>0</Inverted>
    <Mirrored>1</Mirrored>
    <Limited>0</Limited>
    <Limit>180</Limit>
    <Type>0</Type>
    <Inputs>
      <Val>-49</Val>
      <Val>6</Val>
      <Val>-30</Val>
      <Val>6</Val>
      <Val>-22.4852</Val>
      <Val>6</Val>
      <Val>-6.50888</Val>
      <Val>3.58974</Val>
      <Val>-2.5</Val>
      <Val>0.5</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>2.5</Val>
      <Val>0.5</Val>
      <Val>6.50888</Val>
      <Val>3.58974</Val>
      <Val>22.4852</Val>
      <Val>6</Val>
      <Val>30</Val>
      <Val>6</Val>
      <Val>49</Val>
      <Val>6</Val>
    </Inputs>
  </Curve>
  <Curve>
    <Axis>2</Axis>
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <Inverted>0</Inverted>
    <Mirrored>1</Mirrored>
    <Limited>0</Limited>
    <Limit>180</Limit>
    <Type>0</Type>
    <Inputs>
      <Val>-48.9105</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>-40</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>-30</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>-13.3136</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>-6.21302</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>6.21302</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>13.3136</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>30</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>40</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>48.9105</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
    </Inputs>
  </Curve>
  <Curve>
    <Axis>3</Axis>
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <Inverted>0</Inverted>
    <Mirrored>1</Mirrored>
    <Limited>0</Limited>
    <Limit>180</Limit>
    <Type>0</Type>
    <Inputs>
      <Val>-48.9105</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>-40</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>-30</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>-20</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>-3</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>3</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>20</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>30</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>40</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>48.9105</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
    </Inputs>
  </Curve>
  <Curve>
    <Axis>4</Axis>
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <Inverted>0</Inverted>
    <Mirrored>1</Mirrored>
    <Limited>0</Limited>
    <Limit>180</Limit>
    <Type>0</Type>
    <Inputs>
      <Val>-49.7041</Val>
      <Val>4</Val>
      <Val>-40</Val>
      <Val>4</Val>
      <Val>-30</Val>
      <Val>4</Val>
      <Val>-19.5266</Val>
      <Val>4</Val>
      <Val>-2.5</Val>
      <Val>4</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>2.5</Val>
      <Val>4</Val>
      <Val>19.5266</Val>
      <Val>4</Val>
      <Val>30</Val>
      <Val>4</Val>
      <Val>40</Val>
      <Val>4</Val>
      <Val>49.7041</Val>
      <Val>4</Val>
    </Inputs>
  </Curve>
  <Curve>
    <Axis>5</Axis>
    <Enabled>1</Enabled>
    <Inverted>0</Inverted>
    <Mirrored>1</Mirrored>
    <Limited>0</Limited>
    <Limit>180</Limit>
    <Type>0</Type>
    <Inputs>
      <Val>-49.4083</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>-40</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>-30</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>-20</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>-3</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>24</Val>
      <Val>2</Val>
      <Val>28.1065</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>40</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
      <Val>48.8</Val>
      <Val>0</Val>
    </Inputs>
  </Curve>
  <Hotkey>
    <Name>Center</Name>
    <ActionID>1</ActionID>
    <Key>35</Key>
    <Enable>1</Enable>
    <Toggle>1</Toggle>
    <Trap>1</Trap>
    <IsDevice>0</IsDevice>
    <DeviceGuid>{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}</DeviceGuid>
    <ButtonID>0</ButtonID>
  </Hotkey>
  <Hotkey>
    <Name>Pause</Name>
    <ActionID>2</ActionID>
    <Key>120</Key>
    <Enable>1</Enable>
    <Toggle>1</Toggle>
    <Trap>1</Trap>
    <IsDevice>0</IsDevice>
    <ButtonID>0</ButtonID>
  </Hotkey>
  <Hotkey>
    <Name>Precision</Name>
    <ActionID>3</ActionID>
    <Key>118</Key>
    <Enable>1</Enable>
    <Toggle>1</Toggle>
    <Trap>1</Trap>
    <IsDevice>0</IsDevice>
    <ButtonID>0</ButtonID>
  </Hotkey>
  <Hotkey>
    <Name>Profile</Name>
    <ActionID>4</ActionID>
    <Key>119</Key>
    <Enable>0</Enable>
    <Toggle>1</Toggle>
    <Trap>1</Trap>
    <IsDevice>0</IsDevice>
    <ButtonID>0</ButtonID>
  </Hotkey>
</Profile>

Occasionally there will be a bit of a jump when looking down sharply, but otherwise I find these settings work quite well for me :)

Cheers

Mallard

Thanks mate.. installed and running much smoother now..sadly I can't put it through it's paces properly right now though, as I am Flying by keyboard .. waiting for my new Saitek x52 pro  to arrive (due Monday) as my old one died..The old one did well for me though..about five years of happy simmimg with it. Teecee.

Hey guys when I want to change something in Track and I try to open it again, I get the message it's already running/open. The only way I can reopen it is to shut my computer down and restart it. This sia realk pain when you are trying to set something up and need to make a few adjustments. Any clues on this, is it a download glitch? When I start FSX after a minute Track disappears and I assume runs in the background, but I cant get it back again.

Don 

Right click in system tray, you will then see "minimize/maximize" left clich which sends it to task bar. Left click, will come up on desk top, good to go! Minimize when done, don't hit the close window box you will shut down the program. You can do this on the fly if runing FSX in windows mode, so you can make adjustments as you are flying.

Manlyman

I've used the Track Clip Pro for years now and it would be hard to fly without it.

The wire running back to the computer USB port is a bit messy so I bought one of those batteries used for charging your smart phone and plug it into that.

I use it with my 50-inch HDTV - and I don't know how I ever flew without it. It greatly increases immersion, and is worth the money. Simple as. Persevere with it and you'll get there. :)

A hint though: The further away from the screen you sit, the greater the range of motion - which is why using it with bigger screens is probably better.

Right click in system tray, you will then see "minimize/maximize" left clich which sends it to task bar. Left click, will come up on desk top, good to go! Minimize when done, don't hit the close window box you will shut down the program. You can do this on the fly if runing FSX in windows mode, so you can make adjustments as you are flying.

Manlyman

Yeah I understand what you are saying and I do minimize it, but after 30 seconds it disappears from the task bar. It is still running in the background but there is no evidence of that, and I cant get it back, there's nothing to click on. If I click on the desktop icon, it tells me the program is running. I tried leaving the window open and staring FSX and it hangs around for that 30 seconds and then disappears, just like from the task bar, that's why I thought it might be a download glitch.   

Yeah I understand what you are saying and I do minimize it, but after 30 seconds it disappears from the task bar. It is still running in the background but there is no evidence of that, and I cant get it back, there's nothing to click on. If I click on the desktop icon, it tells me the program is running. I tried leaving the window open and staring FSX and it hangs around for that 30 seconds and then disappears, just like from the task bar, that's why I thought it might be a download glitch.

It will disappear from the task bar but it hides in the system tray (bottom right by clock)have a look in the general options (top right of TIR software)there are check boxes in there for minimise to desktop etc

I got my TrackIR yesterday. Only took a few short test flights and I already could not fly without it. I am using the pro clip (haven't even tried the hat) and Seth's profile. I had some problems getting it to work with Ezdok but this video helped me a lot: 

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaxdff_5IzQ

I tried FacetrackNoir (a free software that uses your webcam) before but I was not happy with it. TrackIR is so much better. Now I need a bigger monitor, though.

Thanks for the help guys, got it sorted now. About the hat clip and those of you who feel a right noofy wearing it, then dont, just put the clip on the headband of your headphones, then you wont look any different from the guys wearing the Pro clip. Quite frankly I prefer to have the clip there than on the side - personal preference though, and I admit, wearing a hat kinda didn't work for me.

Don

Guys I have a question regarding TrackIR too, I have my Simpit mounted on a wheelstand pro, so my Yoke, Throttle and trim wheel up top with pedals at the bottom and the Saitek Radio, Multi, Switch and BIP with 4 FIP's. This means I am about 4 feet away from the receiver and TrackIR doesn't seem to like it. Any advice?????

Guys I have a question regarding TrackIR too, I have my Simpit mounted on a wheelstand pro, so my Yoke, Throttle and trim wheel up top with pedals at the bottom and the Saitek Radio, Multi, Switch and BIP with 4 FIP's. This means I am about 4 feet away from the receiver and TrackIR doesn't seem to like it. Any advice? ????

If you're using the hat clip (reflectors) then it could be that the reflection from the hat clip is being washed out by ambient lighting in which case the track clip pro which has LED's and therefore possibly brighter may be a solution for you.

Archived