Setting up reverse thrust, could somebody please explain how to do this?

This really should be easier to do. I'm using the Saitek Throttle Quadrant with spoiler control set to one lever on it, and throttle set to the other two.

Following a guide on youtube, I set one of the levers I used for the throttle control to "decrease quickly" in the FSX control settings.

When it came time to fly the NGX about 3 months ago, I touched down, clicked the throttles back into their reverse position, and the reverses don't even work! I've living with this the whole time I've been using FSX lately and flying the NGX or DC-9. 

Could anybody please explain how to set the darn reverses up? I've gone off the runway one too many times, and one time was way too many!

-Mac Ottlinger

Mac,

Do you have the bar to the right of the "decrease quickly" option pulled to the right? This is required so that the reverse thrust increases power after you have engaged it. I am only basing this on the setup I use with my CH Flightstick joystick. I have Button 2 (the one at rear centre; for any other Flightstick users out there) set as reverse thrust, and pressing and holding the button engages and then increases the power of the thrust reversers.

Mac,

Do you have the bar to the right of the "decrease quickly" option pulled to the right? This is required so that the reverse thrust increases power after you have engaged it. I am only basing this on the setup I use with my CH Flightstick joystick. I have Button 2 (the one at rear centre; for any other Flightstick users out there) set as reverse thrust, and pressing and holding the button engages and then increases the power of the thrust reversers.

Yeah, it's all the way right. I really have tried everything here, and the strangest part is that this worked fine on my old computer...

I set one of the levers I used for the throttle control to "decrease quickly" in the FSX control settings.

clicked the throttles back into their reverse position

From youre wording it isn't clear whether you did this for each throttle. If the other throttle was programmed differently you may have problems. FSX has an aggregate 'throttle' control and also separate throttle1, throttle2, etc. controls. Sounds like you may be mixing them up - i.e. using throttle1/throttle2 for throttles, but 'throttle decrease quickly' for reversers (instead of 'throttle1 decrease quickly' and 'throttle2 decrease quickly'). Otherwise it sounds like you're doing it right.

From youre wording it isn't clear whether you did this for each throttle. If the other throttle was programmed differently you may have problems. FSX has an aggregate 'throttle' control and also separate throttle1, throttle2, etc. controls. Sounds like you may be mixing them up - i.e. using throttle1/throttle2 for throttles, but 'throttle decrease quickly' for reversers (instead of 'throttle1 decrease quickly' and 'throttle2 decrease quickly'). Otherwise it sounds like you're doing it right.

Never knew there was an option for decrease quickly for the individual throttles, as you said, throttle1/throttle2. Gonna try that out, thanks a lot.

MarkH, now looking in the controls I don't have the option for individual throttle decrease quickly assignments, only "Throttle decrease quickly", no different ones for throttle 1 or 2.

Sorry, you are correct. I am mixing up what FSX can do and what FSUIPC can do. Will have to look more closely after I eat my dinner :)

Greetings All,

Yes, Outrage, there is a free version of FSUIPC out there, but it won't let you make button/axes assignments. For that you'll need the paid version, which I consider the best investment for my simming I've ever made.

Download the free version, read the manuals - the things it will let you do are amazing... And don't even get me started on the profile feature! :)

Respectfully,

Brian

Greetings All,

Yes, Outrage, there is a free version of FSUIPC out there, but it won't let you make button/axes assignments. For that you'll need the paid version, which I consider the best investment for my simming I've ever made.

Download the free version, read the manuals - the things it will let you do are amazing... And don't even get me started on the profile feature! :)

Respectfully,

Brian

I agree with Brian, if you want your simming to be as realistic as possible, you should the payware version of FSUIPC.

IMHO :) of course.

Too bad I'll have to resort to that, or either just using one throttle for engines.

-Mac

I set mine up for one command for all engines... selective reverse thrust is not generally considered an option as far as I know

There is an LUA script for FSUIPC that allows the use of a BUTTON to switch between forward thrust and reverse thrust using the full travel of the throttle. It's a bit hit and miss for me sometimes, but it does make things a lot easier when it's set up. I think it's pretty cool.

Those that have a REGISTERED version of FSUIPC could go have a look HERE to read about it. I use it for my 800XP jet, King Air B60, and Twotter X.

Saitek throttles and reverse thrust.

Firstly, the lowest detent setting on the throttle lever is where axis control stops.    The lowest setting (down as far as it will go), acts as a "button".   Confusing? ....yes

How to set reverse thrust (jets) or beta (turboprops) :

In the FSUIPC menu  :

- select "buttons and switches"

- pull desired throttle all the way down, as far as it will go.

- Tick "select for FS control"

- "Control sent when button pressed"  - from drop down menu, select  "Throttle (number) decrease"

- "Control to repeat while held"  - tick

- "Control sent when button released"  - from drop down menu, select "Throttle (number) cut"

Repeat for each lever/engine as required.

Now you should have reverse thrust/beta range when retarding the throttle lever fully down.

Hope this helps......

chris from oz

Sorry, you do need a registered copy of FSUIPC.

Saitek throttles and reverse thrust.

Firstly, the lowest detent setting on the throttle lever is where axis control stops.    The lowest setting (down as far as it will go), acts as a "button".   Confusing? ....yes

How to set reverse thrust (jets) or beta (turboprops) :

In the FSUIPC menu  :

- select "buttons and switches"

- pull desired throttle all the way down, as far as it will go.

- Tick "select for FS control"

- "Control sent when button pressed"  - from drop down menu, select  "Throttle (number) decrease"

- "Control to repeat while held"  - tick

- "Control sent when button released"  - from drop down menu, select "Throttle (number) cut"

Repeat for each lever/engine as required.

Now you should have reverse thrust/beta range when retarding the throttle lever fully down.

Hope this helps......

chris from oz

Sorry, you do need a registered copy of FSUIPC.

Many forums around report that the FSUIPC control doesn't work in Windows 7.  If this is the case the workaround is to set up the key press in FSX and then use the left hand side of the FSUIPC window to choose the Select for key press which activates when the throttle lever moves to the detente position and activates the switch..  ( I have reverse thrust set to shift+F3 in this example):

post-82-0-70445900-1405662358_thumb.jpg

Use this method if the other way above doesn't work.

Archived