microsoft sells entertainment license to the unknown

Culley44

The rumors say nothing about FSX being sold afaik but only the MS FS license. And since the company who bought it apparently isn't a company that's being active in the current FS scene, it could well be that some company who has some arcade flying game lying on the shelf, will use that license to release that game as 'the new official Flight Simulator'. Your guess is as good as mine. ;)

I don't expect a company to actually improve FSX: little use in that with LM working on P3D. And even if they plan on doing that, don't expect anything soon (taking into account how much time it took for LM to get P3D where it is now.)

BTW The latest rumor is that this is all about MS Flight and not FSX.

Anyway, I don't expect this news to be of any benefit to us simmers at all... 

Simflight.com saying it was FLIGHT that was sold. Tom (avsim) says his best guess is the Train Simulator guys (Dovetail) bought it.

If these two things are true, going by how they've handled and developed TS2014, then they will simply re-release FLIGHT and start pumping out overpriced DLCs, along with no third party support allowed. Development of a totally new simulator, as expansive as FSX/P3D, would likely not happen.

I really, really hope it's not true.

the people that made trains sim 2014 did a great job bringing it to life, picture that in a plane and in the air with orbx, i agree p3d is a great platform, but people that work specifically on games like ts 2014 could bring the community something special, mainly eye candy, in any case whatever is done with it, the whole project would have to be built from the ground up in order to perform better than p3d, and there is no way anyone could out do orbx as far as scenery unless orbx started producing for the new flight sim, in the long run it's fun for us and a business for developers like orbx, it could be a big money maker as well,as alot of you have said time will tell.

simFlight :

More news about Microsoft flight simulator
BY jdiogo, Tuesday, 10 June 2014 @ 11:04

We have now heard directly from reliable sources, who have requested to remain undisclosed, that the ‘franchise’ sold recently by Microsoft is not that of FSX, but rather that of the newer “MSFlight“. We also learned that an official annoucement is to be expected soon, from the purchaser of the license.

This entity, which we are not yet at freedom to divulge, is no stranger to the simulation market. We will, of course, keep you updated as soon as more information becomes available.

MSFlight ? if it remains close and limited as the first one, we can forget...

So true.. but it was becoming popular just more as a game to play than a sim that brings long term enjoyment

I am 100% convinced it is DTG, as when DTG re branded a few months ago, it was for a reason, and that was to distant themselves as a sole Train Sim developer,

Furthermore, negotiations with MS were either in full swing or close to sign off at about the time the re branding took place.

If it is not Dovetail Games, you can all call me Mary :) 

It makes sense to me. As a long term ICT industry guy, I can see a strategy involving the retention of legacy platform data structures to retain comparability and core engine consistently for vector, landclass, mesh, textures and other assets. Then a total overhaul of the render engine, sound engine, traffic and object engine, physics engine and so forth. Essentially bring it into the modern era but retain the legacy, as well as the marketing badge.

Its not impossible and certainly achievable to garner investors, especially for a big gaming player, on a $USD200 million + AAA title. Throwing 200 million at it, and being able to retain the marketing badge as well as not shift the platform for content developers and so forth, would bring back FS into store shelves and online estores and so forth. It would kill P3D by shear weight of the development team and the ability to cut more code.

Whos to say if its true or not but its interesting nonetheless

So what's the crack?

Troy pirates are scum and I hope you and the rest of you pirate slimes get what you deserve. Its pirates that prevent the industry from being what it should be and having the mass to drive better entertainment through sales. Your only destroying your own desires in the end because anyone from a security background knows without physical isolation every system eventually is vulnerable. And its your cheap ass tactics on that vulnerability that over time wrecks it for everyone.

So what's the crack?

Troy pirates are scum and I hope you and the rest of you pirate slimes get what you deserve. Its pirates that prevent the industry from being what it should be and having the mass to drive better entertainment through sales. Your only destroying your own desires in the end because anyone from a security background knows without physical isolation every system eventually is vulnerable. And its your cheap ass tactics on that vulnerability that over time wrecks it for everyone.

Might be a case of misinterpretation here as I think Troy was using a bit of urban slang for "what's going on"

If so I apologise, the statement is clear in my world but should Troy have meant otherwise it's wrong for to me react as I did and Troy I apologise it's just billions goes down the drain with piracy and it effects my wallet and many other peoples wallets when people steal others software

Yes, "what's the crack" is my favorite saying for "what's the story". No offence taken Nullak, I sometimes forget this is a global forum and I understand common slang in my country may not be recognized in other countries ;-)

What a bizarre and absolutely uncalled-for welcome to the forums.

Yes, "what's the crack" is my favorite saying for "what's the story". No offence taken Nullak, I sometimes forget this is a global forum and I understand common slang in my country may not be recognized in other countries ;-)

i think crack is slang in any language, at least in the u.s the word crack was used,like (your cracking me up)crack meaning funny. welcome to the forums.i don't think anyone is dumb enough to come here and ask for a crack,meaning software, unless they want banned lol.

Archived