3.9 GHZ and GTX 780 - Frames still dip below 30 at Tipella

You heard me there.

I'm running Tipella perfectly smooth, no issues there. However, with some heavy rain and just my Skymaster, while still smooth, I get only about 27 - 28 - 35 FPS at Tipella. That's worse than Seattle in the NGX.

I've been wondering what is causing this. Tipella is well away from any city and is in the wilderness, seems to be a smaller airport, and for what's there, I'm confused as to why performance gets so low.

I get around 50 or so in bad weather at Diamond Point in the Malibu, which seems to be far more complex than Tipella. 

Like I said, not an issue, but everything except Tipella seems to run smooth. New rig is running fine for me and I'm loving it, I'd like to thank all of you that helped me pick parts out for it.

-Mac

G'day Outrage, your description fits many localities in the flightsim which has been my experience over the years, eg North Coast of PNG around Sialum and even just north of Brisbane in Qld, just something to live with, or as suggested by pgreenwo above a boost to your CPU speed can make a world of difference.

Unfortunately, overclocking is something I'm not confident in performing and don't feel like risking something going wrong, even if the chance of it is 1% or so after waiting the year I have for a new system. 

As I'd said, the scenery is perfectly flyable, was just wondering about this anomaly.

Your Asus board should also include the AI Suite 2 software and comes with an auto cpu boost.If you overclock the cpu using this feature you can do no harm to the CPU the software has an in-built fail-safe to prevent damage thru overheat or overvoltage.I have said before I was at an ASUS day a while back at a major PC store here in the UK, the guys had rigs set up and invited anyone to have a go at the overclock features using their boards and software and as was demonstrated  in the 4-5 hours I was there No person manged to damage either a Mobo or Cpu on the day.Using the software if the board or cpu doesn't like the overclock the PC simply shuts down and re-boots to a previous safe overclock.

So have a look on youtube there are some videos that give more detail but bottom line try it..

Good Luck

Gary

Yup! Tipella is a real framerate hog unfortunately. Only way to gain better performance is to turn things off, I think the trees are the worst offenders. BTW, if you want a really nice little grass/dirt airfield with good performance in the PNW, get WA79 Sutton's Private Strip, it's great!

"Only"? Sounds pretty good to me!

That's a relief for me then that the numbers I'm seeing am good, lol.

I guess I shouldn't be so ungratefu lfor these numbers then, since I was never even able to fly in heavy rain back on my old system.

Yup! Tipella is a real framerate hog unfortunately. Only way to gain better performance is to turn things off, I think the trees are the worst offenders. BTW, if you want a really nice little grass/dirt airfield with good performance in the PNW, get WA79 Sutton's Private Strip, it's great!

Hows performance there?

I've seen some pictures of it and it looks nice. I just got Jefferson Co last night and to my surprise had to turn some stuff off. Still a great airport though.

I'm with Nick, please turn the counter off. Going back to the old 18fps that we used to  watch movies in and where I never noticed any frame flickering, I question how anyone can really see the difference between say 25 fps and 35 fps? I have FSX set to unlimited and my Nvidia set externally to 25 fps and don't notice any flickering.

Hows performance there?

I've seen some pictures of it and it looks nice. I just got Jefferson Co last night and to my surprise had to turn some stuff off. Still a great airport though.

Performance at Sutton's is excellent and so is the atmosphere. Considering you have a MUCH more powerful rig than I so you should have even better performance. You also get WA7M Musa Field to go with it which is just a hop away in a cub or similar craft.

"Only"? Sounds pretty good to me!

I agree completely. But let me add that I found places all around the world where, without any apparent reason, the FPS went suddenly down like being close to a "black hole". This especially in Norway and in Denver sorroundings.

I must add that - after the installation of Vector 1.15 this didn't happen any more. Why, perhaps it's only a coiincidence. For sure, in these years of FSX I've been used to a lot of weird behaviors.

At first sight there doesn't seem to be a lot going on at Tipella, but there's actually a *lot* of custom, season-dependent vegetation there. Vegetation is one of the greatest FPS killers. In my opinion anything over 25-30 FPS is perfectly fine. In fact, I keep my FPS locked at 30 FPS.

Your Asus board should also include the AI Suite 2 software and comes with an auto cpu boost.If you overclock the cpu using this feature you can do no harm to the CPU the software has an in-built fail-safe to prevent damage thru overheat or overvoltage.

All it does is protecting the hardware, but what it doesn't do is a burn in test for many hours as you're supposed to do with every overclock. Useless feature in my opinion, only confirmed by people wo needed to reset their bios, because their system wouldn't boot anymore.

Just got Jefferson Co. I'm surprised at the lower performance here to, I actually had to turn some grass settings off, in which in all my GA planes except the jetprop I get 35 - 40 FPS. Would turn on more grass but I'm just leaving some breathing room for when I get the Dash 8, which apparently only has the FPS impact of a GA/Default plane.

Ok, I decided to google the old guide of 18fps for a smooth experience and was surprised with what I found. What we are all looking for in getting a smooth experience is not just a high fps to "trick" the brain into not registering separate frames.

Check out   www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm     makes for interesting reading. 

I still say turn off your fps counter  ^-^ ^-^ ^-^  Cheers  Dan

All it does is protecting the hardware, but what it doesn't do is a burn in test for many hours as you're supposed to do with every overclock. Useless feature in my opinion, only confirmed by people wo needed to reset their bios, because their system wouldn't boot anymore.

No it doesn't simply protect the hardware,I know it is not the same as overclocking manual by stepping up the voltage.However I have built a good few PCs in my time and I do know that this method works it is basically a safer way to overclock for those that are a bit nervous but still works principally the same.I have also overclocked most if not all the PCs I have built and that includes doing the necessary stress testing as well.My current O/C using Ai suite only sits @ 4.6ghz and runs nicely that has also been tested and is stable.Using the AI  suit and a liquid cooled cpu I can take it up to 5.0ghz at which point I start to get a few issues, So basically Ai suite or its equivalent on other boards with UEFI bios is a reasonable way to perform basic, workable,stable overclock either that or I just got lucky with my Ivybridge CPU.

Just got Jefferson Co. I'm surprised at the lower performance here to, I actually had to turn some grass settings off, in which in all my GA planes except the jetprop I get 35 - 40 FPS. Would turn on more grass but I'm just leaving some breathing room for when I get the Dash 8, which apparently only has the FPS impact of a GA/Default plane.

Yep most of the airports around Seattle are really heavy on the FPS. Personally I don't mind FPS in the 20's so I max everything out :)

Archived