Member photo gallery

Ryan Mason

Since you insist Terry - I hunted high and low to find one

Posted Image

Forum name: derived from the place I live - Quinninup 30km south east of Manjimup YMJM

I retired down here to get away from the city that was slowly killing me - Ah! the wonders of clean fresh air supplied by '00's of '000's of wonderful trees, there should be more of it (and NO I am not a radical greenie treehugger - I support the timber industry - whats left of it) - we have been here nearly 9 yrs after having spent a bit over a year doing the grey nomad thingy around Australia first with a 4WD and a tent for 8 months and then a caravan (we quickly found that we are NOT caravan people) - unfortunately health and circumstances stopped us from seeing all but a tiny bit of Queensland so we are once again planning to do it this coming winter (last years attempt was a disaster) whilst we still can in our little poptop campervan

Since I worked in the computer industry for 20 yrs, we had a rule - there was never allowed a computer in the house, not even overnight, it was just our little grasp of sanity to get away from keyboards for a few hours - after the traveling bit and a years renovations to make the place livable to our ideas I finally got a computer and spotted FS95 in a bargain bin - bad mistake for the wallet - I ended up hooked and the rest is history - its not so much the actual flying - its the collecting of realistic scenery so that I can travel to places I will never be able to see except on the idiot box or in books and I am not much of a reader

well ya gonna like this one,

i was at the midwinterfair in acheon in alpha on the rijn in Holland

i was the king ( actors reacted on that really funny ) and my fiance was the queen

im a hobby photographer so thats why i was there, i take pictures of nice ppl and they do the same for me

Posted Image

Posted Image

<<-my fiance->>

Posted Image

Name: Bernie Forrestal. Born in Canberra in 1948 and moved to Perth when I was 2 years old. Been here ever since apart from short stints in various parts of Australia but for no longer than 6 months.

Worked for the then Department of Civil Avaitation as an Electrical Technician in Training and then as an Electrical Technician for a total of 10 years. In other words a glorified electrician. I worked on construction and maintenance of electrical systems on airports such as runway, taxiway and T-Vasis lighting, standby gemerators and general power distribution on airports which were owned by the Government of the time (1967 to 1977). Hence my interest in aviation. I am now the estimating manager for a large electrical contractor in WA. We do projects in remote areas all round the world.

I have been flight simming since I had a Macintosh and I think FS3. Used to fly with the keyboard. Then progressed to FS95 on an PC followed by all versions since then.

Forum Nickname: Just my Christian name and first intial of my Surname.

Hi Everyone!

Name: James Gutteridge - you can guess the nickname, which isn't a nickname at all - it was given by my high school for our email account and I've used it ever since lol.

I've lived in Lonnie, Tasmania ever since I was 2 (born in Perth), and moved out to study Mandarin, Economics and Political Science at Melbourne Uni 3 years ago.  This is my last year, and am hoping to become a Diplomat.

I've been interested in flying ever since I was born, as Dad was a pilot (retired now).  He flew for Skywest, the Coastguard in Darwin, was involved in the 1988 Pilot's Dispute with Ansett (which led us to Tasmania), Airlines of Tasmania (anyone remember the Herron?), and National Jet (BAe 146 and the RJ-70s and 100s for Norfolk Jet Express and Australian Air Express).

First flight sim was MSFS95, and have owned every one since, including CFS3.  Always wanted to be a pilot like Dad, but he steered me away saying companies don't treat pilots the way they used to.  I still have the yearning, but FTX controls that - quick circuits around YMLT break the homesickness and study routine!

Posted Image

I wonder if anyone can recognise where this photo was taken?  It was at the lookout on the West Tamar Highway, my family's house is roughly right behind me and my better half.  She's Filipino - met her at Melb Uni - and had never seen scenery quite like Tassie's - made me very proud to show her around!

Hey Gurdy, I just noticed your "coordinates" in your location under your name...  That puts you somewhere near where I was in Melbourne.  In that area, I've lived (in this order) near the plaza, Bellbridge area, behind Werribee high, Hogan's Corner then finally (the good end of) Birdsville before moving up here to Wang.

Ok, may as well dive in!

Name: Rick Parrott

Lives: In Milperra (just around corner from Bankstown Airport)

Hobbies: Far Too Many, but includes Flightsim (of course!), SCUBA, Music (Guitar, Piano), Camping, Bushwalking.

Married: For over 26 years to an understanding wife who knows from experience that flight simming is one of my LEAST expensive hobbies!

Pet: A rough collie named Daisy (my avatar!) - world's best behaved doggie!

Other: Have worked in various roles at the same place since I left school! (29 years). Have loved flying things since I could walk, used to hang around the hangers at Bankstown as a kid, and hitching the occasional ride from pilots who would take pity on me (or sick of me!). Love anything ocean too, and have been a dive instructor for about 8 years though I don't do much teaching now. Under-the-sea is out-of-this-world!

Pic: Narromine after both having a flight in the glider! Superb!

Posted Image

Hey Gurdy, I just noticed your "coordinates" in your location under your name...  That puts you somewhere near where I was in Melbourne.  In that area, I've lived (in this order) near the plaza, Bellbridge area, behind Werribee high, Hogan's Corner then finally (the good end of) Birdsville before moving up here to Wang.

We are in Wyndham Vale, where all the new construction is taking place, in an estate called Manor Lakes. It is off Ballan Rd. Probably still farmland when you were there :)

Interestingly, I have flown cross country with R/C sailplanes using probably your house block as a launch site (destination - Bacchus-Geelong road/Ballan Rd intersection... only ever made it once.), but we only left Werribee a shade over 12 months ago.  Manor lakes was well developed.  We even looked into buying a house in there at one stage, but decided a move back up to the country would be better for us...

Guest Aussieman

Well if Quinny is silly enough to put his ugly mug up on these forums then I suppose I had better make my contribution rogues gallery.

This photo was taken while doing my summer job. A job that is on call but one I love doing but at the same time don't like doing it for obvious reasons. When this shot was taken I was doing normal communciations but most times I am doing Air Ops. This shot was taken about 3 years ago. The operating area has undergone a bit of an upgrade since then.

Posted Image

A few details:

Hobbies: Flight simulation (naturally), photography, fishing and camping in the bush when I am able to.

Although I am classed as retired now I was a diesel fitter with the NSW railways and now do some part time taxi driving to supplement the pension.

I have 4 children and 2 grandchildren and I am in that wonderful?? single again part of my life.

Cheers

Pat

The thing I have grown to love about this hobby is the how broad the range of people is in this FSX/FTX community. Amazing the different people that have a common passion. Thanks for posting guys... and I hope that those who haven't, will. We will be able to have a family photo album ..  ;D

Hey Dex, (Rick)

As filipino, I of course grew up in... the Philippines.  ;D  Which happens to be made up of only 7100 islands.

That being the case, most people have a passion for the sea and if your not on top of it you'd be under it. In short, I am a diver too, about hmmm close to 900 dives under my belt. I noticed your are / where an instructor so this may blow your mind... I never got certified.  ;D To make things even more exciting, back then we didn't have dive computers, it was a table, depth gauge and your watch.

Added advantage of diving in the topics... shorts and t-shirt is all you need, no wet suits required so you can pee when you want. Hahahaha!

One of my most memorable dives was a shake out dive in front of the resort to about a 140 feet, very scary as its pretty dark at that depth. My flash light imploded but my swatch watch remained intact.  ;D

Cheers

Butch

My handle is Appliance because I used to work for 15 years as a whitegoods salesman ... unemployed since end of 2008 and at 62 (same age as Quinn and Aussieman, but far better looking ;D,) unlikely to gain work again in present circumstances, but trying.

No photo 'cause I was a pro commercial photographer for some 15 years and am all photo'd out! Indeed the only photograph I permit of myself is every 3 years for my drivers licence. ::)

Began simming on my Mac way back when and it has remained a passion/obsession ever since. REASON: After wanting to fly ever since I could remember, joined Air Training Corp., even repeated a year at school but still too young to apply for the RAAF. Eventually selected - 1 of 8 successful applicants from a field of 700 odd ... chucked out because I had 20/18 vision ... fighter pilots simply had to be perfect. Miserable ever since. Go VOZ and ORBX! Fly mainly FS9 since I have TOO many aircraft and scenery addons (I DID mention obsession you know) but do support John and the ORBX team in their pursuits. Also fly all the major combat sims too (naturally) including Black Shark.

Enjoy fishing, boating, bicycling when not simming and spend FAR too much on aviation art. A tragic, frankly, ... help :o

Name: Nick

Posted Image

This is me and my wife on the day I proposed to her. That is sunburn.

I am born and bred in beautiful Tasmania, wouldn't want to live anywhere else, I live in a suburb of greater Hobart to be exact. I am a casual simulator enthusiast, I will play any game that realistically depicts something that you may not ever get the chance to do for real eg. Live For Speed, Flight Simulator X, Falcon 4.0 (AF, OP, RV variations) etc. I find it interesting to learn how these things (planes and rotorcraft) operate behind the curtain, and I love the scenery too. I can have a holiday with FTX without having to leave the room. I work in the IT industry for a national company who has partnerships with Microsoft, Symantec, Cisco and Telstra among others. I am married and do not have children yet. I am also into cars, I own two of them; a Subaru Impreza WRX (MY99) and a Mitsubishi Starion JB. I do casual event photography, mainly motorsports (drift, hillclimbs, targa tas etc) or car club related stuff (exotics and local scum)...

Hey Dex, (Rick)

As filipino, I of course grew up in... the Philippines.  ;D  Which happens to be made up of only 7100 islands.

That being the case, most people have a passion for the sea and if your not on top of it you'd be under it. In short, I am a diver too, about hmmm close to 900 dives under my belt. I noticed your are / where an instructor so this may blow your mind... I never got certified.  ;D To make things even more exciting, back then we didn't have dive computers, it was a table, depth gauge and your watch.

Added advantage of diving in the topics... shorts and t-shirt is all you need, no wet suits required so you can pee when you want. Hahahaha!

One of my most memorable dives was a shake out dive in front of the resort to about a 140 feet, very scary as its pretty dark at that depth. My flash light imploded but my swatch watch remained intact.  ;D

Cheers

Butch

No it doesn't surprise me! I know a few divers who have just learned that way! And as for dive computers, I have had a number over the years, but still also have an analog depth gauge - guess which one is still going!  ;D Hey - most of these young'uns forget how to use their tables about 1 week after they finish their open water course! And as for the need to wee - well, my suit has an extra zip strategically placed!

Happy diving and flying!

Great thread - very interesting to read about everyone!

Posted Image

Forum Name: David Rogers

Other Forum Names: The-GPS-Kid, Pro-Sim, Davros, Astradan

Bio:  I'm 36 and was born in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, North East England. After School and College, etc, I worked for 10 years for a government security agency in the UK. I left this career on health grounds after developing Type 1 Diabetes (I inject 4 times daily).  After leaving that career, I got into Business Operational Management, running sites in the Mobile Phone, Travel and Insurance industries in the UK. I became bored of dealing with the same people issues (!!!), so 6 years ago I trained and became a Project Manger. I work for a large global insurer now and I'm multi-disciplined : I work on various types of major projects and programmes from technology (recently managed a telephony tranformation to VoIP for 10,000 staff), to business reorganisation and offshoring.  I have travelled a lot in my latest role, including 3 visits to India recently.

I am married to my wonderful wife Sarah, and have a gorgous 7 month old daughter. I also have a 9 year old daughter from a previous relationship, who comes and stays with us at weekends. And of course, theres Denver, our dog and my best mate !

I am have been simming for many years and in 2007 I built a 737NG cockpit, mainly from fly engravity parts. great fun but I missed the versatiliyt of being able to fly in various aircrafts!    So I dismantled the cockpit and now fly with a large monitor, yoke, pedals, throttles, GF radios, switches and panels, but essentially generic.  I am currently enjoying GA flying more than the heavy complex airliners that I used to enjoy.

I am an AVSIM Staff Review (I completed the Coffs Harbour Review)  :) and I also self published my first novel late last year - A children's fantasy fiction piece.

My travel dream is to visit a number of places in Oz and then to hop over to NZ....  8)

I speak English, Spanish, a little German, and a little Sakart (Georgian).

I want to thank John V and the team for giving us FTX - it is a life improving assett !!

Best,

David.

Hey Teecee - a Geordie indeed! ...... (although I now get some strife from my mates for living 'down south' - I'm now in Durham, 15 miles south of Newcastle!  ;D).

I often wondered whether the good people pf Newcasle, NSW are Geordies as well ?  ....... if not they should be !

Newcastle Brown Ale ain't quite what it used to be but it can still catch you out  ;D ...... it's not strong in Alcohol % but more than 4 bottles seems to have something of a psychotic effect !!

;D

David

LOL.. 15 miles south will make you a "southerner" over there allright.. Mate I was reading that a pint can cost 3-4pound now.. is that right??.. I remember as a youngster it was half a crown, and we thought that was a ripoff. Teecee.

Yes, the cost of living in general is horrendous in the UK now - not just credit crunch related!  ..... it's been between £3 and £4 for a pint of beer in the 'towny' bars for quite a long time now.    Last week, I ordered a Vodka Mojita in one bar in Newcastle ....... it was gorgous, fresh mint leaves, etc, etc, but it cost almost SEVEN QUID !

:o

;D

Name: Gary Wolboldt

Forum name: gwolb

Flightsim history info: since I got my first computer in 85

Work in the IT industry since 1983, and have lived in central Ohio my entire life.  Have traveled all over the USA for business for about 14 years, and this is where I really started to get interested in flying/airplanes (doing about 4 trips a month flying) .  But since my dad was a b-29 pilot in WWII I was born loving planes.  Have a small horse farm, 2 horses, 2 dogs, 3 barn cats, no kids. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bulldog here

Hi all. Yep I agree this is a great way to get to know you folks.

After spending 22 yrs with the RAAF and for a while working on the Winjeel behind me and a lot of other a/c

I resigned only to realise that I had hydraulic fluid for blood, I needed to get back into the aircraft industry.

I found myself with Boeing Aerospace at Amberley QLD trying to keep our ageing F111 fleet in the sky. I had been working on these

for seven yrs when I was in the RAAF.

After five yrs I left and started as an aircraft maintenance engineer with QANTAS at Brizzy airport servicing 767's.

I have been simming since the late 80's and loving it.

Oh and by the way my name is Peter Weir.

Hello everyone..   yes this post is a great idea.   Put the name to a face.

My forum nick name of "Aceshigh" came from a friend who plays cards and loves aircraft.

I was trying to think of a forum name at sign up and it just popped into his head.

I work at the Australian Aviation Museum based at Bankstown airport, the Museum will soon be moving to

Camden airport as we are out growing our available space at our present location. 

I'm the Museum photographer and help restore the old aircraft.

All the best,   

Mark     (Aceshigh)

The pic below is of me and the "Black Cat" that visted the Museum.

Posted Image

If interested, more of my Aviation photographs here.

http://www.pbase.com/phototime/aviationmuseum

Great photos mark!  You might be able to help me with something actually, seeing as you work for an aviation museum...  I have a propeller blade that I've been trying to identify.  It is a Hamilton Standard blade, and stands 5ft tall, which means it would've been roughly 11ft dia give or take when it was attached to a hub.  The part number stamped on the base of the blade is 6379A-0.

I have a long list of aircraft that it is NOT off, such as B-17, B-24, DC-3, Harvard, Wirraway, Catalina (its a narrower blade than the ones your standing in front of..), etc.  All are roughly the right size, but either wrong shape or wrong part #.  I'd post a picture of it, but right now its past my bedtime and I can't be bothered.

Would your museum have access to any archives or anything that would have this kind of info?

Great photos mark!  You might be able to help me with something actually, seeing as you work for an aviation museum...  I have a propeller blade that I've been trying to identify.  It is a Hamilton Standard blade, and stands 5ft tall, which means it would've been roughly 11ft dia give or take when it was attached to a hub.  The part number stamped on the base of the blade is 6379A-0.

I have a long list of aircraft that it is NOT off, such as B-17, B-24, DC-3, Harvard, Wirraway, Catalina (its a narrower blade than the ones your standing in front of..), etc.  All are roughly the right size, but either wrong shape or wrong part #.  I'd post a picture of it, but right now its past my bedtime and I can't be bothered.

Would your museum have access to any archives or anything that would have this kind of info?

No worries... Im at the Museum in the Morning I will take the details in to our prop guys and see what happens.  Post a photo of the prop, the pic and the number will help ID it.

We have experts on all aircraft topics and the largest aviation library in the southern hemisphere.   If our Bob or Ray dont know (hardly unlikely) the reference books in the library will help.    Although the Library may be closed this weekend due to the heatwave predicted. 

I will see what I can do..

Mark

Ah well, I've delayed long enough - got to put a shot up here, I guess. The moniker "mmglads" came from a British Telecom dial-up account in the UK where I tried to put Malcolm & Mary Gladstone up as a username & "mmglads" was the best they could do - so it stuck! My wife is an Aussie (as I am now - proudly!) & comes from Lismore, NSW. The family still has 3 dairy farms in the area. We moved here in 2001 to look after elderly parents & stayed - a good decision. I've been flightsimming for 15 years - still have most of the old FS programs in their boxes too (very sad!)

Anyhow, here I am....the banjo in the picture is my 1968 long neck Vega - a bit like a Tiger Moth, vintage, but wonderful! The glass of wine was optional...

Posted Image

I've played & sang in folk, rock & country bands for over 30 years (as a hobby) & now just do the odd "gig" when asked. Basically retired, I have no idea how I possibly held down a full time job in the UK, I've never been busier!

Cheers all, a wonderful forum & community to belong to.

Malcolm.

First off, my user name is pretty straight forward, PAULEB for Paul E B(aumanis). My surname is Latvian although I was born in Carshalton Surrey.

Grew up in Croydon. Spent most of my adult life in Southport, Merseyside. After the breakdown of my first marriage I moved to a small village in the highlands of Scotland, called Kingussie (pronounced 'king-U-see'). Thats where I met and married my wife, Katharine. It was shortly after our marriage that we decided that we would like a complete change and decided to emigrate to Australia. We chose Perth because we thought it has the best climate and we haven't changed our minds. We love it here and are now Australian citizens,

Posted Image

This me after my first trip in a helicopter, it was fantastic, very smooth, compared to a light aircraft.