EGHI - Successful?

Andrew 737

Hi Team

As the title suggests please may I ask if EGHI is as successful as you hoped?

I purchased EGHI firstly to support ORBX in the hope that you guys continue to make UK airfields. Secondly it looked just too good to be missed; it is very beautiful work - good job.

I know the initial few airfields were a bit of a disappointment in sales for you hence the change of stance to the bigger type of field.

My question is provoked purely by the hope EGSC is done. It's my home field.

EGSC is an international airport now - there are daily scheduled flights, there is a service contract to maintain a fleet of Hercules aircraft, plenty of GA - a good all rounder.

To see EGSC reproduced in the same quality as EGHI would be sensational

Thanks

Hi Team

As the title suggests please may I ask if EGHI is as successful as you hoped?

I purchased EGHI firstly to support ORBX in the hope that you guys continue to make UK airfields. Secondly it looked just too good to be missed; it is very beautiful work - good job.

I know the initial few airfields were a bit of a disappointment in sales for you hence the change of stance to the bigger type of field.

My question is provoked purely by the hope EGSC is done. It's my home field.

EGSC is an international airport now - there are daily scheduled flights, there is a service contract to maintain a fleet of Hercules aircraft, plenty of GA - a good all rounder.

To see EGSC reproduced in the same quality as EGHI would be sensational

Thanks

+1

EGHI has sold more copies in its first week than all our other UK airports have in their first three months. So clearly our customers want mid sized airports, not small GA airfields. That gives us a clear direction to embark on, although we will tread cautiously.

That's fantastic news John, really encouraging :)

The team really did you proud with that one mate

If you need any sort of info about EGSC to help you do a feasibility study please let me know

Thanks

Agreed EGHI is a great airport - good mid-size regional with great graphics, a good model for other UK regionals.   I have been flying there often since it's release.   I support Andrew737's suggestion to do EGSC soon.  I also live in Cambridgeshire, have taken lessons at EGSC, and note that Darwin Airline has just started scheduled service to Geneva, Paris, Amsterdam, Florence, Leipzig, Lugano, Milan and Rome, using Saab 2000 turboprops.   The Cambridge area is a growing prosperous region, and I expect the new airline will enjoy success.  I plan to use it - it's a real pain to get to Heathrow or Gatwick to take a flight, and Stansted, although convenient, is dominated by RyanAir.  I  will say no more.

You should make Southend Airport of London its also a mid airport

+1 right on the coast with lots of sand banks near by and the train station attached, it is owned by the Trucking monopoly Eddie Stobart group, I bet he would love to have one of his two Airports"Orbxised"

http://www.stobartgroup.co.uk/news/air/new-london-southend-airport-passenger-terminal-officially-opened-by-secretary-of-state-for-transport/

I actually visit a company within the industrial area of the airport quite regularly and stay in the Holiday inn with great views from the bar/ Restaurant over the apron :) Southend really ticks all the boxes for a UK Orbx airport, if they will give you access to the airport...

The good news is that Cambridge Airport management want us to make it and I agree it is a good solid proposition so John Lovell is heading there to do primary photography for us shortly.

I've asked Lars if he wants to tackle it before he does Sumburgh.

Oh JV

I love you guys :)

Please let me help Beta on just this one - I will still pay for it :)

The good news is that Cambridge Airport management want us to make it and I agree it is a good solid proposition so John Lovell is heading there to do primary photography for us shortly.

I've asked Lars if he wants to tackle it before he does Sumburgh.

More good news, thanks :)

So clearly our customers want mid sized airports, not small GA airfields.

It's another masterpiece with a PAVED runway, beautiful lighting. (See my vid here)  And you know I can be a bad critic.

As a north americanized (he he) we don't see much unpaved runway, men I think in my flying (real) life I only saw one.

Strangely, I won't buy unpaved  runway, I can't explain but it's turning me off. I know, It's may be a fact in England but I still don't get it.

Look at what you done with NZQN, sadly you said that NZ it's far from your best seller, well to bad for them because they are missing out one of your BEST EVER region and 2 best ever runway. I never saw even the slightest negative comment on those.

NZQN is about as perfect as it can be, mid size, nice surrounding (I'm calming myslef not to say AMAZING) and one of your most stunning master piece, like it or not.

I'm a casual simmer but yesterday EVEN with my elevation problem on 05 I went to bed at 5am flying ONLY around NZQN with a few escapade to NZMF.

My jaw simply dropped when I saw that:

ftx_images_nzqn0011.jpg

Sorry for being a bit... off the subject, or I'm I?

Cheers, Ben

Are all your small GA fields selling badly, or specifically UK?

Because I much prefer the small airfields, and almost never fly anything but GA or helis, and what I didn't care for about the UK fields was the lack of interesting terrain around them, despite the very interesting character of the fields themselves. I think the same problem would apply to many airports in the North America. For example, I have your two free canada fields, and Airdrie, but almost never fly there because the surroundings are, if I can use the word, boring. You didn't make them boring, but you are building something realistically which is boring in real life. The airports with tricky approaches and/or beautiful surroundings that always make me want to see what is up the next valley are the ones I love. NZMF is one of my favorites, but won't see more use until you have more like it in the area so I can hop between them. I might pick up Queensland just to support you guys when I can afford it, but it is too large for the flying I enjoy. I love the strings of small airports with mountains and lakes and rivers all around.

Incidentally, a friend of mine recently invested in an FS system after using mine a while, and purchased several Orbx airports.Diamond Point, Cushman Field and Jefferson Co, and the loop of airports from Darrington to Orcas, all because they are small GA fields within practical flying distance of each other and with interesting terrain always beckoning out the window.

From what I've seen so far, I will probably be purchasing Norway if you build small GA fields for it, because that is an area I can't wait to explore! All those fjords and mountains are calling me!

I have to say that personally I love the G A airfields and think that all the U K fields are great,I habve them all now and would love you doing Cambridge as the concentration in the south needs balancing. Keep up the good work please folks, our fs world would be poorerwithout you.

As a sweaty palmed student back in the early 1980s, Cambridge formed part of our navigation "triangle". Starting from Norwich, you'd track west along the A47, turn at the disused USAAF bomber field at North Pickenham, squeezing past RAF Marham to head for Littleport. Ely Cathedral looming out of the omnipresent English haze would demonstrate you was in the ball park, then it was all about the railway line into Cambridge!  An overhead join to land on the grass and a quick coffee prior to chugging off to the now obsolete Nacton at Ipswich. Talk about belt and braces!

Now I have the Alebeo PA38 Piper Tomahawk, Cambridge airport will make for a nostalgic jaunt! Norwich airport, with its Thomson 737 charters, the Thomas Cook A321, the Flybe Dash schedules and its WW2 RAF architecture would have been my FTX nirvana, but as EGSH looks to be shortlisted by "another" developer for 2014, Cambridge  will be a great addition!

I just checked Google Earth to see if the Tiger Moths still reside at Cambridge. They certainly appear in THIS shot, with the addition of a Spitfire! Does anyone know if its a resident, a visitor of even a replica? Its a shame that the Military cemetery of Madingley will probably lie beyond the photo real background, because its a very moving, evocative and poignant sight from the air (and ground)!

5dfb.jpg

I just checked Google Earth to see if the Tiger Moths still reside at Cambridge. They certainly appear in THIS shot, with the addition of a Spitfire! Does anyone know if its a resident, a visitor of even a replica? Its a shame that the Military cemetery of Madingley will probably lie beyond the photo real background, because its a very moving, evocative and poignant sight from the air (and ground)!

5dfb.jpg

Not resident that I know - probably there on a Duxford weekend show - we get a few planes at these times

Red Arrows, Black Hawks, Lancaster...

Thanks Andrew.

I didn't think Cambridge had its own "Spit", so your Duxford theory sounds about right. I saw the Red Arrows landing at Norwich Airport a few weeks ago, then calling into RAF Marham the very next day. I live quite close to Marham, so the BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane  are regular sights and sounds around here too, as you might imagine.

Thanks Andrew.

I didn't think Cambridge had its own "Spit", so your Duxford theory sounds about right. I saw the Red Arrows landing at Norwich Airport a few weeks ago, then calling into RAF Marham the very next day. I live quite close to Marham, so the BBMF Lancaster, Spitfire and Hurricane  are regular sights and sounds around here too, as you might imagine.

Yeah we get quite a lot via here to Duxford - never gets boring; ever :)

EGHI has sold more copies in its first week than all our other UK airports have in their first three months. So clearly our customers want mid sized airports, not small GA airfields. That gives us a clear direction to embark on, although we will tread cautiously.

Orbx EDDF please...... I need some airports for my 777 ::)

Oh Dear! Does this mean Aberdeen has slipped on to the back burner along with Belfast City? My belief would be that they'd be commercially very succesful for ORBX. By the way, as it's been recently suggested I'd add Southend to that list and probably Exeter and Londonderry/City of Derry.The great thing about these airports is that they aren't covered already.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

John Lovell and I have agreed a photography date this morning. We've been discussing this for some time now and I can't tell you how thrilled I am that we're able to help Orbx get this done.

I have given this project my full and persuasive support from the onset... As Head of General Aviation and a senior manager at EGSC, I am also The CFI and an obsessive secret flight simmer, so it has been a real pleasure to be able to facilitate this. We're flattered that so many people are keen to see EGSC modelled with Orbx's legendary skills.

Best wishes to all,

Luke Hall

John how much of the surrounds will be modelled? Just wondering like, will Marshall's car centre on the other side of Newmarket road be included? If so I can loan you my Defender to model as is seems to spend a lot of time their under warranty :lol:

This is exciting Stuff; so pleased Lars is on the job too.

If we get a similar surrounding area to EGSC as we did EGHI that'll be brilliant Matt.

My wife is getting me a GoPro camera next week - we need to arrange that flight matey :)

When Ive got the Camera i'll PM you then we can arrange to fly, video Cambridge and post it - deal?

Hi all,

John Lovell and I have agreed a photography date this morning. We've been discussing this for some time now and I can't tell you how thrilled I am that we're able to help Orbx get this done.

I have given this project my full and persuasive support from the onset... As Head of General Aviation and a senior manager at EGSC, I am also The CFI and an obsessive secret flight simmer, so it has been a real pleasure to be able to facilitate this. We're flattered that so many people are keen to see EGSC modelled with Orbx's legendary skills.

Best wishes to all,

Luke Hall

Welcome to the forums Luke :)

This is exciting Stuff; so pleased Lars is on the job too.

If we get a similar surrounding area to EGSC as we did EGHI that'll be brilliant Matt.

My wife is getting me a GoPro camera next week - we need to arrange that flight matey :)

When Ive got the Camera i'll PM you then we can arrange to fly, video Cambridge and post it - deal?

Welcome to the forums Luke :)

GoPro, nice toy, I want one of those for when I get round to taking the defender off road.  Posting the flight sounds like a damn fine idea to me

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Best wishes to all,

Luke Hall

Luke, thanks hugely for what you've done in order that Cambridge Airport will come to life. Along with Duxford ( that well-known freeware ) and Orbx's Old Warden, EGSC will be an important and very welcome addition. As a local resident, I'm very grateful. :)

• 1 month later...

Please, please, please can you make Bournemouth (EGHH) as one of your next airport sceneries please? This is the perfect medium sized airport with decent runway, new terminal and apron built in the last 4 years and would fit into your product profile of UK south coast airports perfectly. I've seen previous references across the forums that EGHH was going to be on the cards and having seen the fantastic work the team has done producing Southampton, I'm sure this will attract equal enthusiasm and sales!

Many thanks.

Hi John, thanks very much for replying. Appreciate it.

I can understand the decision to move further north to give some diversity. Would it at least be possible to keep EGHH in mind for the future please? I know quite a few others have requested it on the forums and its an airport no other company has produced in detail. I've no doubt the market is there.

Thanks again for all the great work you guys do.

Archived