Region Switching (Future)

XCLTM3

I plan on purchasing NORCAL & SOCAL when they're released. And with the pending release of the PMDG 777, I'll be flying the cross pacific routes from YSSY to KLAX / KSFO & return.

How will ORBX/FTX handle the region switch? I'm hoping I won't have to kill FSX during part of the flight, in order to go back to FTX Central, change regions, etc etc. A direct flight uninterrupted without any

need for region switching is what I'm hoping for.

Rgds,

You can save your flight and switch regions halfway, or leave it set to one or the other, its your choice

Or you could grab FTXglobal, set to 'hybrid' mode and have all regions you own active all the time (with a few barely noticeable compromises with the autogen)

Cheers

Tim

(Moved this to general discussion as it is not an issue with a product.)

I have reservations about hybrid mode . Basically its ok ,but I have been on a wild goose chase at London City Airport  . Re-organizing and getting new scenery (because of Global ) I have been checking out various sceneries . In doing so I found myself in London wondering what damage I had done to the autogen , there is hardly any there , until I realized I was in Global mode . I have had other similar situations too , such as wrong autogen - wrong vegetation for that part of the world ..etc.

I know that JV was thinking about removing something so that's there is no more switching - which is a great idea , but , I for one ,  would not be happy with that if it meant the lowering of Regions visual quality , as would happen  if the visuals relied purely on Global.

London is not the only scenario that had me scared for a minute .

I know that JV was thinking about removing something so that's there is no more switching - which is a great idea , but , I for one ,  would not be happy with that if it meant the lowering of Regions visual quality , as would happen  if the visuals relied purely on Global.

You are mistaken if you think the visuals rely on Global in hybrid mode (that would have caused a riot! ;) but a few compromises had to be made in order to make hybrid mode possible (mainly having to do with autogen textures and slope textures). I nevertheless hope we will keep the option to switch because I also don't like they idea of hybrid being locked and the only possible option.

I always presumed (before FTXG was released) that if you selected one FTX region (so not FTXG and hybrid) the world outside of that region would be pure and complete FTXG: that would have been the perfect solution for me because I don't fly from one FTX region to another. I was slightly disappointed to hear that the world outside of an enabled FTX region also has some changes and comprimises (still haven't figured out what exactly...! If someone could enlighten me, please do so!) but well... this is FSX... it's one big compromise! ;)

Although hybrid mode might be fine for some, for me personally it's not a major breakthrough (sorry! ;) ) because we STILL have to (or at least can) switch between regions, FTXG with hybrid and FTXG without hybrid... We even have MORE options to choose between now! I'd rather had the possibility to enable one region and have a pure and complete FTXG world outside of it. But that's just mho. You can't please everyone. (BTW Let it be clear I am VERY pleased with FTXG!!!)

Thanks for the clarification J with one difference of opinion . To me it is a magic breakthrough ! ....and thinking about things there wont be drop in standards of regions . Your favourite area is being worked on right now  :)  . If your not an inter-region flyer there is absolutely no problems . All we have to do is wait twenty years and save 20k bucks ...lol

What I love about Global is everywhere is palatable . I'm having a ball just picking names out of the country list ,places I know nothing about , and go fly there . Along side me is google earth and I can zoom in check the area out or look at some local photo's .

Off to Mayottee now , where ever that is , see ya  :)

Yes, there is a lot of positive buzz about FTXG and rightfully so, but I do pray that someone somewhere will provide some good roads. The stock roads in many areas just take away from the beauty of FTXG.

Bob

Yes, there is a lot of positive buzz about FTXG and rightfully so, but I do pray that someone somewhere will provide some good roads. The stock roads in many areas just take away from the beauty of FTXG.

Bob

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/62168-roads-and-waters-for-the-entire-world/?hl=%2Bvector+%2Broads

;)

Hi,

Yea, I forgot about that thread, and I even commented on it but, I try not to get too excited. If they do produce the vector roads and water I truly hope they put the quality into it. I have used Ultimate Terrain (b4 fullterrain), but honestly, I never thought UT did a great job on the roads. I am not saying it is an easy task, but I really never got the Ahh moment with them. It was nice to have the vectorized roads but to me, it was like an aircraft with an excellent FDE, but  a VC that you could not stand to look at. If these roads are done well, then I will have to say "We will have it all", especially when P3D v2 is released.

Bob

Bob

While I can't say for sure just what (or even if) features would be in any potential Orbx vector product, I think it's fair to say that judging by the full FTX region packs, Orbx has some good experience in getting things right when it comes to Vector data... Of course this is all speculation at this point...

Didn't see any announcements regarding SOCAL region.  NCA is in the works.

Just thought the natural & logical progression from producing NORCAL would be SOCAL......wouldn't make sense to produce one and not the other.

Besides, I'm certain from a business sense, that SOCAL will be a huge seller and hence a big success for ORBX.

Rgds,

Just thought the natural & logical progression from producing NORCAL would be SOCAL......wouldn't make sense to produce one and not the other.

Besides, I'm certain from a business sense, that SOCAL will be a huge seller and hence a big success for ORBX.

Rgds,

I suppose.  Socal to me is less interesting than NorCal -- but I'd still buy it.  ORBX could do FTX Outer Mongolia and I would get it and find time to explore it.  I still haven't really checked out all the regions I do have, but I will.  At some point ORBX will run out of real estate to model, the trick for the rest of us is to budget it out and not go broke along the way.

And you have a point, about 1/7 (or more) of our whole countries lives in CA so I must agree that there is likely a good market for it.

As far as any kind of natural progression, it might take them east into Nevada.  Remember we know they have done a map for FTX Southern Rockies, which includes much of Colorado and Wyoming along with the NE corrner of Utah.  So this would leave a big hole in the FTX world from the Eastern edge of Lake Tahoe over to Salt Lake City.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as FTX Central is concerned the objective should be to eliminate it.  

The the full-fat regions could be layered above the LC regions,

third party addons could be placed above or below as the user wishes, and other terrain and mesh products could be below all.

In that way scenery could appear according to priority and not require switching.

Even now I wonder what would prevent scenery to be treated in priority order as we all have our scenery libraries prioritised.

Mesh of course is different, wherever it is in the library it gets called up according to LOD and not priority.

I always presumed (before FTXG was released) that if you selected one FTX region (so not FTXG and hybrid) the world outside of that region would be pure and complete FTXG: that would have been the perfect solution for me because I don't fly from one FTX region to another. I was slightly disappointed to hear that the world outside of an enabled FTX region also has some changes and comprimises (still haven't figured out what exactly...! If someone could enlighten me, please do so!) but well... this is FSX... it's one big compromise! ;)

I have no idea how the switching works or what hybrid mode is really doing, but I can see the differences.

For instance, KBLI (in PNW) looks better if I have North America selected.  (Global hybrid is good, but NA is better.)

I also flew around the Solomon Islands and saw textures on the hills that looked wrong.  I realized that I was still set to North America.  When I switched to Global, the hills looked great.

Orbx regions didn't effect the default FSX textures outside the regions.  I find it confusing that they do effect Global textures outside the regions.

I'll keep switching :)  The Orbx regions are GREAT and when flying outside them, Global is the way to go. (IMHO)

• 1 year later...

Archived