Leaving "civilization" behind again....

by heading out of Prince Rupert...gorgeous area....but it has a golf course...and cruise ships docks.  Not Stig's kind of place.

Off the tarmac for what I hope to be the last time for a good little while...enjoying the roar of the Lycoming IO-390 engine in my new Super Cub....and enjoying the view of that nice Dash-8 done up with the Air Canada livery in the background.

Z6R5M.jpg

Off the deck and turning towards Prince Rupert itself....I was curious to give it the low and slow fly by to see what's what.

jAgX5.jpg

Prince Rupert....quite a tourist-y little place, it seems.

vBa12.jpg

All glamor out front....all business on the other side of the island.  Rail lines....excavating....and shipping imports....some logging exports too.

sKzC9.jpg

The view from the highest point of the island....nice place...but it's time for me to head out to the back country again!

Frn2X.jpg

North of Prince Rupert there is another of the Khutzeymateen unmarked dirt strips.....Big Bay, it's called....I've made it a personal mission to land and take off from all of them before I move on to Alaska...so..down I go!

wTjoP.jpg

There it is...there is a float plane ramp...and helipad down by the river....along with the lodge house.  And apparently despite all that, no one has a chain saw.  Some rather ill placed trees on both ends of a short strip....no worries, though.  Plenty of room for the Super Cub.

lB4MT.jpg

Skim past the tree....then skid down and to the left....some right rudder on touchdown to keep the wheels in line with the strip and we're golden!

pEgPB.jpg

It's as easy as....

GLXvy.jpg

THAT!!

p0j1.jpg

Thanks for having a look....hope to see you next flight.

Stig

Excellent caps Stig.

A chainsaw would be a good idea as so many strips and airports seem to have trees too close to the ends of the runway.

I think that one of the trees has been scared to death by the low flying aircraft in shots 8 & 9 though.

Looks now that you are going to have trouble not landing but finding an extreme airport where to challenge yourself even more! Well done!

I'm enjoying the dirt strip pack..but I enjoy finding my own places to land too. I'm hoping to make a "No Second Chances" type video soon...just need more GoPro footage from my new Cub.

Archived