Farewell Spit - no, it's an F4-U!

Adam Banks

Here's me testing another screenshot hoster (Postimage).

Jankees' stunning ("Donald Duck") NZ repaint of the A2A/Aircraft Factory F-4U over Farewell Spit, at the top of the South Island.

Posted Image

Looking vaguely north ... next stop North Island (or Australia if your navigation is bad!).

Posted Image

Can't beat the Pacific for fancy water!

Posted Image

Getting dark ... better get back to base!

Posted Image

Adam.

Thanks for the nice comments, folks. This was one of those "happy" sessions - where nature and FSX conspire to give you a magical situation - and all you need to do is "point and shoot". It's why I always fly with real weather enabled.

The F-4U is a strange beast. It looks oddly awkward in FSX and in stills. However - we're lucky to have one flying in NZ and in RL it's a positively *awesome* sight. How on earth they operated these on carriers with such limited forward visibility (when pitched up) I just don't know. Landings I can imagine - steep descent and "bang it down" ... but how on earth did they take off with that long nose pointing at the sky like that? I know they lost a lot on take off (hence the name "Ensign Killer") but I thought that was more because of the incredibly high torque of that massive engine.

Adam.

How on earth they operated these on carriers with such limited forward visibility (when pitched up) I just don't know. Landings I can imagine - steep descent and "bang it down" ... but how on earth did they take off with that long nose pointing at the sky like that? I know they lost a lot on take off (hence the name "Ensign Killer") but I thought that was more because of the incredibly high torque of that massive engine.

Adam.

Interesting thing you said about this warbird. I think that with very few exceptions all were like that and you had to be a really great pilot to fly them, let alone become an ace. Although they were good, some pilots nicknamed them as grave diggers, flying coffins, widow makers, ensign killers, because one little mishap and the pilot would "buy the farm". It was war, everything had to be hurried out but can you imagine one of them being produced with today's standards?

Joe.

over Farewell Spit, at the top of the South Island.

Looking vaguely north ... next stop North Island (or Australia if your navigation is bad!).

Posted Image

Getting dark ... better get back to base!

Posted Image

Adam.

Hey Adam,

just wondering if you could share what kind of settings are you using there? My spit looks nothing like yours...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cheers

Mallard

Aaaaah .... sorry, yes (I've had it installed for so long (pre NZSI) that I hadn't realised). This is a freeware photo-real add-on by Mike (Creator). It fits with NZSI really well. Not hard to find, but I'm not sure about the ethics of me posting links to freeware sceneries on an ORBX forum ;)

Archived