I'm quitting smoking

rosariomanzo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Rosario!

Great to read that You are undertaking this step!

And congratulations for Your progress regarding this matter.

It will certainly be a new life for You afterwards - and You will never regret having given up smoking!

It might sound a bit weird, but when i was going through the process of giving up smoking i noticed that doing some well, sports actually helped a lot.

I know, it may sound weird, but even taking some calm walk for one hour or so helped a lot.

Sure ... sometimes the brain wanted to have it's amount of nicotine, but this "need" became more and more replaced by the need for "fresh air" and exercise so to speak.

And if it's not sports then it's one thing for sure:

Flying over ORBX lands! :)

But whatever fits best for You:

For now and again congratulations for undertaking this step and the progress You have already made so far!

Cheers, Christoph

For me, days 10 andd 11 were the 'hump'. Once you get past the two week point it gets a lot easier. Cold turkey is the only way as far as Im concerned. I smoked three packs of Pall Mall red non filter for years. When drinking I could run through a pack in an hour. Its been ten years now and I dont miss them. No more stained fingers. My food actually has taste. No more cough. I dont REQUIRE a ciggarette first thing when I wake up. not bound to anything sold in a stupid little box manufactured by some corporation designed to get me hooked on it. Its amazing how much money I wasted on those things.

just keep going. good luck.

hey congratulations, I stopped on the 1st of January, it wasn't a new years resolution. The girlfriend decided to take champix to quit, so i thought Id just see how i got on.

Im 29 days in, Had one drag of a cigarette on the 15th and it did not taste nice.

I dont often think about smoking these days and the cravings have pretty much gone.

The fact that I am commenting on this thread is making me want to smoke! Hurrah for willpower!

The first noticeable thing is that I do not need a cigarette anymore when I wake up. Two weeks ago it wasn't so.

That sound great, Rosario! Keep on! Did you already reach the stage when the coffee tastes more intense (ok, it is too early in the year for flowers and trees...)?

I took me three tries before I was actually able to kick it. First one was for three months, then it was a year and someone's bithday at work. Then a year later I stopped and now after fifty years not smoking I'm very anti about it. It stinks. Your's and everybody else's clothes and hair stink and its now very anti social. Entirely the opposite to when I was smoking and quitting.

Watch out for the year anniversary. The craving can suddenly hit you. If you can beat that milestone, after after three years the temptation has gone. But you have to watch out for accidents and thoughts of 'well I've kicked it, so one won't do me any harm'. It will!

Fifty years later, and I'm stillI battling the resulting weight gain! ::);):D

So good luck to you Rosario. Torbole at Lake Garda for the third year in a row for our holiday again this year. We love it!

John

John

Been there, Done that Rosario, We stayed in Sorrento and toured every day; Amalfi Coast, Capri, Rome, Pompei etc. etc.

Its a hell of a long way by coach though. My wife doesn't fly due to a bad experience at the end of the war being evacuated by air from the prisoner of war camp with the American army air force Back to Italy. Takes three days to get down there and another three to get back which takes a whopping lot of time off the holiday. We tend to stick to the north and middle now which takes only two days each way leaving us an extra two days for the actual holiday.

Good luck

John.

Been there, Done that Rosario, We stayed in Sorrento and toured every day; Amalfi Coast, Capri, Rome, Pompei etc. etc.

I see.

I've been living in Sorrento 31 years, now I'm in Naples (and work further south). I get often back to Sorrento as my parents still live there and my kids love their big garden.

Thanks again for the encouraging words.

Ciao.

Rosario,

since 16th of march 2012 i even didn´t touch any cigarette (after 40 years!!), and it works, so stay consequent, believe in you, DON´T EVEN THINK ABOUT SMOKING AGAIN!

Best regards

Tom

Aaaargh - it's Windsor Davies - 'Lovely Boy!!'

Best of luck with being smoke-free, Rosario! It's a great thing you're doing, and fantastic to see the support you're getting from your FS mates here. I've never smoked, but my girlfriend does and I'm trying like hell to get her to quit. Seeing all the success stories here will give me more grist for the mill. Keep on saying NO to cigs and a hearty SI! to Orbx scenery instead. ;-)

Ok this has been a really encouraging thread. I have tried unsuccessfully for the past three years to give up smoking. But since New Year's Eve i have only smoked at the pub three times and I had my last smoke two days ago. I'll report back in 12 days when I get over the two week "hump".

Now ... What will my 'reward' be? I can get all the Orbx stuff really cheap LOL!

John,

One of my big "triggers" was going to the mess or out with the group and having a nice cold beer! That was a frequently occurring tough trigger to beat as I loved my beer! Strange thing though, it had never even crossed my mind that it might be a good idea to give up the beer to kick the habit! Or if it did I was a wise man to know that such an idea was pure nonsense.

Anyway, good luck to you and I look forward to hearing back from you in a few days. Your reward? How about a fine aged single malt for sipping!

Hi All,

I would like to encourage all who smoke to stop, as some of you may recall, I lost my wife in July 2011 due to COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), Emphasema, brought about by years of continuous smoking.

You are supposed to grow old together not by yourself, please beleive me, it is the worst thing to lose your lifes partner.

Smoking is almost always the cause of the above desease.

Sorry to be blunt in this, but please please think of your loved ones and QUIT.

Thank you for reading.

Rosario, you wont believe how well you'll feel soon, your wellbeing improves daily and you then gain more strength from that to keep going....FORZA ROSARIO !!!!!

Ciao!! Jorge

ps I quit at 35...now 70 and going strong!!!

Rosario,

Early in the quitting process the "hard times" can be frequent and quite trying indeed. The really great news is that as your smoke free time accummulates these hard times become less frequent and easier to deal with. Use that "self- esteem" argument to your advantage now to keep motivating you when each urge to smoke comes up. You have too much invested in yourself to waiver now! Remember that even one smoke now puts you right back to ground zero on the mental struggle.

Keep going. You can do it!

Archived