I'm quitting smoking

rosariomanzo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rozario,

It has been almost 40 years for me. I was a very heavy smoker when I finally decided to stop "cold turkey". Boy did I enjoy that last cigarette. My advice is know the triggers for you that make you want to smoke and recognize them as they come up. Mine were things like a cup of coffee, or after a meal etc. Know they are coming and make your mind up to defeat each event, one at a time. Go day by day. It probably took me seven years to be completely free of the urges but it was so worth it. The urges will get weaker over time and less frequent. I have not had one smoke since that last one. You will not regret it. But remember, you must really want to defeat this and if you approach it one event at a time it will happen.

Thanks for the kind words everybody, it's really important to me.

My advice is know the triggers for you that make you want to smoke and recognize them as they come up.

Rick, I sadly have many triggers, you know we have a great coffee here in Italy :)

I work away from home from monday to friday, drive about two hours each "leg", I stay alone in a little house when I'm not at the office.

It will be hard, but I'll follow your advice and hope to get free of those urges soon.

Best of luck to you on this quest! Like Rick, I had to quit cold turkey many years ago. As far as triggers, they were everywhere. After meals, coffee, waking up, whatever. I couldn't stop doing the things I loved, just had to decide each day not to smoke that day. Eventually, they added up to 23 years free of them. You can do it!

I gave up the smokes on new year's eve on the turn of the century and haven't looked back. First thing that I noticed was I could smell flowers and things again and then I seemed to always have a dollar or two in the pocket. Best thing I ever did was give up. Good luck with your quest. It is well worth the effort.

I'm with you guys. It's 30 years since my last puff, but thirty years of better health.

No matter what anyone says, the terror of lung cancer or emphysema is something worth avoiding at all cost.

Good luck, mate. Be strong.

Frank

Lost my dad at 56 to smoking. I haven't smoked since his passing in 2006. What helped me was lots of water! Every time I got a craving, I had a glass of water. Sunflower seeds really help when working in my shop. Every day I transfer 7$ into my savings instead of buying a pack butts. In doing so, I have managed to save aprox. 11, 000 dollars. Not to mention the health and extra time on earth to sim!! Lol

Best of luck to you. And remembr, its all in your head! Wink!

Again, thank you guys. I managed to resist one day more, I hope I'll do the same today (and tomorrow, and forever).

Oh, and an Orbx scenery package is coming for me on friday thanks to the spared coins, which one should I choose to celebrate? I was thinking of Ketchican! :D

That's a great way to motivate yourself! Hmm, I wonder if I can justify an entire Orbx catalog purchase on the basis of all the $$ I've saved over the years from not smoking? Actually, since I rarely drink and have never taken some very expensive recreational drugs, I should be able to justify a real aircraft!

If you make it to a month, I'll get whatever addon you buy this week myself, to help celebrate ;D

So choose carefully!

Rosario,

Not a bad idea for daily motivation indeed. To back it up make the commitment to yourself that any regression means that you forfeit the accrued savings since the last purchase of an ORBX product and have to start over again for the next reward. In my experience the more self motivation you can have to beat each urge for a smoke the more likely the self discipline will win out. Be prepared for the fact that it will also take you some time before you really begin to realize the physical benefits for your lungs and heart, They will take time to be purged of the effects of smoking. As mention in the thread, things will soon begin to taste better, sense of smell becomes more acute and best of all your clothes will stop smelling of smoke!

Good luck. Stay with it and don't hesitate to come back for support and encouragement. As you can see there is lots of support here!

just under a year and a half for me, also cold turkey.

I fully believe there's no point even trying unless you know it's right for you and you want to.

Plenty of friends have tried the usual lent, and new year promise and all but 4 or 5 managed more than a week.

Congrats on your effort, give it a month or 2 and you'll never look back.

As has been said though, be aware of your most common time of smoke n try have something else lined up.

Keep it up, you will enjoy those ORBX sceneries longer.

Best of luck. It's 100% mental. It's all in the brain. Smoking is brainwash. Defeat the brainwash and you win. I stopped 5 years ago after 15 years smoking. It turned out to be the EASIEST thing I have ever done in my life.

PS I suppose you have read the Alan Carr book" ? If not - read it. It will open your eyes.

It turned out to be the EASIEST thing I have ever done in my life.

I don't know if it will be so easy, at the moment it isn't! :D

Sometimes I would like to take another cig, just to find out that it is not that good. But I do not want to waste the little goal achieved as of today.

Hang in there! It's well worth it. Especially for OrbX scenory! Seriously it is rough, but it gets easier with time. I quit in '98. My friends were buying nicotine patches for me; so they could live with me, I was so grouchy. Now, I'm a much nicer bear, without the sore butt...

LOL

Sue

How's it going Rosario? take a deap breath of fresh Italian winter air, treat yourself to a quality Italian Espresso and give yourself a pat on the back! You've already come this far, in fact you've already got two MORE Orbx add ons! Keep it going mate - power to you! :)

Rosari,

It isn't easy. Defeat one urge at a time. It will eventually get easier and you will hit the point where it is something you don't even have to think about. But that is some distance in your future. You can do it! Keep going!

Archived