Milford Sound - 60 Years ago

rayclyde

Firstly I would like to express thanks for the marvellous Milford Sound package. It is special to me in that during the period 1952-1954 I was living and working in Milford Sound. I have walked a number of times up to the Quinton huts and, following the events outlined below, also visited Martins Bay. During my time at the Sound I tramped and climbed over a reasonable amount of local terrain.

In November-December 1952 the Queenstown company of Southern Scenic Air Services had constructed the first airstrip in the Sound. A rough, but usable, shingle strip aligned roughly 11/29 on the river delta just to the west of the Milford Sound Lodge. I have attached some "snaps" I personally took following that event. The first two show the first landing aircraft, a J5 Auster owned by SSAS and piloted by Fred (Popeye) Lucas, the company's owner and a man and pilot who did much to pioneer the commercial use of aircraft in the fiordland area. He wasn't the first as another man, James Monk who flew out of Invercargill in his Grumman Widgeon and made a number of "water" landings in the area in the late 40's and early 50's. It was typical of the times that the strip was constructed

one man and his D4 Caterpillar.

y just one man and a small D4 Caterpillar.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Shot 1 on short finals into 11 and shot two back tracking to the "terminal". Fred's first words were "just like London Airport"; somewhat of an overstatement I would think.

Shots 3 and 4 show a view of the Sound from a point just to the north of the Gertrude Saddle and one looking down the Hollyford Valley towards Martins Bay with Lake McKerrow showing in the far distance.

The last is of an SSAS hanger in Queenstown aerodrome - modern construction eh!

Clyde Williams

LEVIN NZ

Archived