McDonald's - Too Many!

Capnsully

They really have 'bred' in Melbourne! Exhibit 1, all the pink dots are the infections as well:

Posted Image

I did a google maps search for their approx location, as I'd built a model with the intention of scattering a few around Melbourne as part of my single-handed effort to populate Melb's skyline with more localised scenery (for now?) Silly me, I almost thought it wasn't worth the effort, maybe 15 or so for the whole city?!

A funny side benefit - you should check out some the 'restaurant' reviews! A most concise, erudite example included in the above map. Hahaha..

Here's the model I've built, to be included in the first Melb. Objects pack along with Sthland and the other 'sights' of natural beauty. I'll get the night lighting for the signs working well, should stand out for us low fliers:

Posted Image

What have you guys got against McDonald's??? I have no problem saying I frequent McDonald's at least once a week and love it.

Great model Simmo, and i have no problem seeing Macers (or Mickey D's) doting the scenery in FSX.

all the pink dots are the infections as well:

Funny because McDonald's is also called Mickey Disease back home in America at times....

Cheers

What about KFC? :-)

Bring it on.....Burger King, Wendy's, Carl's Junior, Pizza Hut, Domino's....You name it. There are a lot of these objects that can be placed in the North American scenery especially. As well as big box stores like Walmart, Staples, Home Depot, Target, Frys, etc

If people don't like that sort of stuff in the scenery then I don't know what world they live in as these type of businesses are a reality of life.

Cheers

I have cleaned up this thread and edited some replies as they were not an appropriate OT discussion for a first time scenery developer who is just showcasing some creations that people may enjoy. Guys, please remember, this is a company owned forum and while we let peoples opinions on certain things ride as long as they are contributing to the overall thread, there are many other places on the internet to air your dissatisfaction with a certain food company than here. Cap', you may also want to showcase your efforts over at Ozx, they may also be able to give you some pointers on transparencies and other scenery nuances that might help you along the way :)

If you really want to get local, you could put in a 'In-&-Out Burger', a favorite local SoCal burger chain usually along the beaches of California. Tell me, aren't there any fast food joints that are Aussie born & bred? I am actually a little embarrassed that so many of our junk food joints have invaded your country. No wonder 2/3's of Americans are now obese.

Clutch

from SD also and in N out is the best. Clutch, America is the home of fast food it all started with our lovely interstate highway system. Modeled of course on Germany's famous autobahn... but you cant beat Carls for that flame broiled taste either.

Tell me, aren't there any fast food joints that are Aussie born & bred?

Clutch

Yes, "Hungry Jack's", but that's actually just the Australian brand name of Burger King. If I remember correctly, before Burger King came to Australia, a smart Australian got the copyright on the name "Burger King" in Australia, in the hope to make lots of money once BG will come Down Under. Burger King then eventually decided to firm under the name of "Hungry Jacks" in Australia. So the smart guy did not make any money out of his idea, he only had expenses for buying the copyright on "Burger King". BTW the Hungry Jacks logo is identical with the Burger King Logo.

Wolfgang

Thanks guys. No, the local grown fast food joints are nowhere near as obvious as the American mega-brands. A great local one is Oporto, great hot chili sauce and relatively fresh chicken. Alas they frequent the mall food courts not our intersections, so no point modelling.

And no, just because someone features a certain prevalent brand, it doesn't mean they like 'em. Same with some types of architecture.

Hi Simmo,

Probably a good idea to do about 3 to 5 different generic looking Fast Food models and change the textures on them for the various different brands that are out there. This way you can cover a lot of the different brands.

Also for Canada Tim Horton's is a must. There are more Tim Horton's in Canada then any other chain.

I think it is a great idea and seeing as their are usually so many Fast Food chains near Airports, this adds a little more Eye Candy...

Cheers :D

That's a good idea. I just wish the texture application was the EASIEST bit!

I love all these quaint fast food names. That Canadian one reminds me of a classier Krispy Kreme. They had to close quite a few Krispy stores down in Melbourne, not as popular here. Plus fresh Donut King delicacies are much better.

Awesome....Whitebait Fritters beats fast food any day. Enjoy it.

As long as they're not netted from the Grey (River) they're scrumptious. :D Already have several kg. in the freezer (just for when the season ends).

Newbie, I have not had whitebait in 28 years, I think I will hit you! :)

You could try modelling Nan

do's (South African, but not in The USA yet, I think) Possibly also Baker's Delight and Brumby's. Coles Supermarkets, Liquorland, and Dan Murphy's come to mind, as well as perhaps Bunnings and Harvey Norman, if you wish to expand your list somewhat

Thanks guys. No, the local grown fast food joints are nowhere near as obvious as the American mega-brands. A great local one is Oporto, great hot chili sauce and relatively fresh chicken. Alas they frequent the mall food courts not our intersections, so no point modelling.

And no, just because someone features a certain prevalent brand, it doesn't mean they like 'em. Same with some types of architecture.

LOL there's another Australian one called Red Rooster too that are owned by the same company that owns Oporto. You can see some of them from the air with their giant rooster on a pole...

Hehe, the genius who developed Instant Scenery did NOT design it for such twisted minds as mine. What a hoot..

Posted Image

LOL there's another Australian one called Red Rooster too that are owned by the same company that owns Oporto. You can see some of them from the air with their giant rooster on a pole...

Right, locked into the work program..

I am confused by all the retoric; Orbx scenery is scenery...if it's there then it's there!! When Orbx makes scenery they place what is there..that's what's called realism!! When a building gets pulled down then maybe, one day, Orbx would modify, however, that's a big and costly call to place on Orbx. This is IMHO a (an??) Orbx forum, not a "comments on fast food" forum.

PS: Ytzpilot, what is it that you don't understand by the word "bait" in "whitebait"...you use "bait" to catch the real fish ::)

Wow Simmo.. you sure stirred them up with your maccas.. so many people that must live in Shangri La.. Not me mate, I like my scenery warts and all, so keep up the good work old lad... I know that when you release this I will be placing these buildings wherever I see a need. Teecee.

Where am I?

Posted Image

anyone who's seen my post at OZx is banned from this quiz!

Here's one of the 5 stores I've added to EXACTLY the right location in fsx. I've asked over at their forum how to speedily plonk about 20 in the coordinates I already have from google earth. I ain't doing more than 20!

Anyone recognise the approx location? I was surprised by the way that just adding one object suddenly made the location more recognisable.

Hmm, I need to work on the diffuse reflection qualities next, my object doesn't reflect the same light as the other autogen. Grrrr.

For what its worth. We had every intention of doing petrol stations and fast food outlets in our autogen but the speed of development meant it got left behind. Our autogen does have Repco, Coles, Woolworths and Harvey Normans and many of our add ons have Bunnings and other branded stores and outlets. YMML has Mcds, and BP, YBBN has a Shell station and so on

For what its worth. We had every intention of doing petrol stations and fast food outlets in our autogen but the speed of development meant it got left behind. Our autogen does have Repco, Coles, Woolworths and Harvey Normans and many of our add ons have Bunnings and other branded stores and outlets. YMML has Mcds, and BP, YBBN has a Shell station and so on

To be honest Martin, When flying around in a PMDG NGX or even a Carenado Cessna the pilot should be paying attention to flight management and not the branded stores on the ground. I think you guys struck the right balance as with the current autogen it makes the scenery alive in your peripheral vision. It is more then enough.

I do like these scenery drop-ins if the end user wants to add more to the scenery but the stuff you guys have done is the right balance as their are some branded stores in the commercial areas, and that is good enough for VFR references.

The pilot can see he is over a town or a CBD at a glance and continue on with flight management, navigation, fuel management or any other priorities.

Cheers

Hey Martin, please don't think I am saying your autogen or sceneries aren't amazing! Im just using this as a way to learn quick and make the local area even more perfect at low level for VFR and screenshots. Yes, in general flight and definitely with tubeliners, you ain't normally admiring the street details. Nor do we look at butterflies, birds or cows, but if they can be done, why not?

I come straight from the wastelands of Xplane. I've had the opposite challenge, having to build the autogen or even terrain to make it look remotely Earthlike. Now im a kid in a candy store but even greedier and selfish. I love my local Moorabbin, Greg's done an amazing job. Now taking off and seeing southland in the distance gives me an even bigger 'wow it really is realistic' feel.

A side benefit is that it gives me even more admiration for you guys, as the effort and discipline involved cannot be underestimated! Just building southland took me hours, including taking the pics.

Yes,as an Aussie I am ashamed to admit it, but I have tasted a Whitebait Patty in Hokitika, NZ and yes it was yummy especially with a glass (or two) of NZ Savignon Blanc i.e. "Oyster Bay".

IMHO, NZ Savignon Blanc is one of the best in the world.....There, another compliment to those in the Eastern island of Australia ;D

Aussies like to poke fun at New Zulenders, and vice verse, however it is always in jest and in fact is really a compliment to the Kiwi's.

Archived