McDonald's - Too Many!

Capnsully

Yep, the food is damn fresh over there. And the other thing I love is the amazing boutique softdrink industry, so many quirky little drink companies, I wish we saw more of them here. Like L&P Lemon & Paeroa

Even better was the seemingly un-regulated car imports. The most amazing Japanese reject cars I've ever seen! Stick this in your sceneries. I was staring at it more than a new porsche:

Posted Image

Hey Martin, please don't think I am saying your autogen or sceneries aren't amazing! Im just using this as a way to learn quick and make the local area even more perfect at low level for VFR and screenshots. Yes, in general flight and definitely with tubeliners, you ain't normally admiring the street details. Nor do we look at butterflies, birds or cows, but if they can be done, why not?

No problems with that from me. Even for tube liners the region within 10nm of an airport are important for VFR reference points. You have to give Tubeliner pilots some slack ;D . I have flown in the flight deck in my company jets a number of times and the crews hand flew the departures and approaches nearly every time heads up and not fixated on the purple line (amazingly staying on it with precision though)

Aussies like to poke fun at New Zulenders, and vice verse, however it is always in jest and in fact is really a compliment to the Kiwi's.

I agree....You lot have a rivalry not found anywhere in the world, it is standoff ish and unique. However, certainly not like this one....This one is official from the Government of Canada:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38BO7GI0vQQ

Australia and New Zealand come no where close to anything like that.

Canada won and everyone loves an underdog.....Even better when Canada beats the USA at Hockey...

Cheers :D

Too right, love their stuff! Just had one of their apricot specials, quite nice, a little like drinking jam:

/>http://www.bundaberg.com/info/product_range/sparkling_selection/

If they made their ginger beer alcoholic, oohhhhh...lots of ice.....oohhhhh...

Back slightly on topic (but I love this broad ranging discussion, keep it up!), I've done a lovely big Bunnings, object, will post when I can get the darned thing saved via Instant Scenery. It keeps telling me I can't save it as it's from another city, even though I've clicked all the correct options!! Gaa. I need a root. Beer.

Ah, found the problem. RTFM for Instant Scenery! Don't think i'd copied the text file, in any case I just created a library and it's working.

So here are the Bunnings Hardware Stores, our suburb looks over-serviced! True, there are 2 huge bunnings stores within a few blocks - but one is closed now that the other's just opened up at the old Nylex factory site. No idea what they're doing with the old one? Hey Deano, need a Boxed-Orbx warehouse??!! Nah you won't need one, turnover too high I bet. I think Sony might need it to store their unsold Vitas (If you've held a new Ipod Touch, you'll know why I say that!).

The second shot I like, as it shows Greg and Ken's YMMB to the left-distance, with the Mentone, Warrigal road kink in the highway to the right. Really getting familiar now.

The last shot is the excerpt from the tool's scenery listing, shows I got carried away adding Maccas! Still very hard to find if you're just flying. The Bunnings stand out like my nasal hairs, a far more rewarding object.

Still need to fix the thrashing in the Bunnings, plus I cheated and just stuck a flat poly on the base of the Bunnings, 25cm above the ground. Seems to work though! I'll learn ground polys soon though, per Bill Womack's great tute.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

In 2010, I actually visited one place where there is no Macca's, Burger King, Kentucky Fried, Wendys or any other fast food outlets or shopping centres. The Island Council has banned them. Shoud make it easy for Orbx to recreate.

Where? The Orkney Islands off the NE corner of Scotland. Catch the ferry from John O'Grouts.

The Orkney's are famous for Scapa Flow, the British naval base of WW1 and WW2.

As to the US Root Beer, it's the same taste as Australian Sarsparilla - TruBlu brand is my favourite.

Love the debate, but its irrelevant. Scenery for VFR is based on what's in the landscape now. Therefore whether its Maccas or Bunnings they need to be there. Realism and plausibility is our goal, so for the starter of this thread, congratulations, make Melbourne as it is, not what we think morally, ethically, sanitarily, dietary, greenie, capitalist or whatever should be in the landscape. And when your RW instructor points out reference buildings we note them down, remember them, and use them without consciously claiming there not there because we don't like what they represent. And when we practice in the sim, its great to see them there - to help our flying not our sense of values!

PS I first encounterd Macca's in Honolulu in 1969, our then young kids loved it, and in truth I still like a Big Mac from time to time.

Benny Hill: stop joshing us, its John O'Groats.

No wonder the kids are leaving the islands as fast as they can - leaving the po-faced elders behind.

+ 1, not that I am biased. Actually I'm not, agree with you that whatever's dominant in the landscape, should be modelled if possible. But please keep the conversation civil - I didn't read anything negative into Benny's post, just sharing a rare place that doesn't have a US conglomerate.

Might get version 2 of the objects scenery up at OZx, a few Bunnings eyesores up now. Ha, you could never miss the RW 13 approach to YMMB right now, there are 2 bunnings in a row as good reference!

Capnsully: (wish I could fly like him and have his judgement).

I love our Benny Hill, so I'm not being negative toward him, NEVER. Just amused that the Orkneys are a holdout against fast food joints. One of my fundamentalist Presbyterian ancestors came from there, and he spread his message of strict observance to mainland Scotland and through his children's children where I became one of his descendants in faraway NZ. (I have one brother who shares his views absolutely, but I glory in my middle of the road approach).

And good Orkneys scenery will of course not need to show any of those abominations!

No.... I wasn't being negative. Just thought it amazing that there was somewhere where you couldn't get fast food.

I remember stopping for lunch at a pub in the Orkneys out in the middle of nowhere. It a had a small one room shack next to it that was the use of newly weds for their wedding night if they married in the pub.

We've tried Maccas in the UK (different), Paris (awful), Switzerland (good) and the USA (ordinary).

Sorry about the spelling of John O'Groats. Bought a necktie there that proves I was there.

As to McDonalds; the grandchildren love it as a treat, but in Australia, they've stopped making the McOz burger. It had real salad.... lettuce, tomato and beetroot.

And we use Maccas for breakfast while travelling.

Hi.

Simmo here's a you tube video I came across the other night showing a night approach in to Moorabbin. There are a few stadiums that are lit up like it's daytime!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9zl1-yws4Y&feature=player_detailpage.

Also, if you're going to do Bunnings, you'll probably notice a lot of them have a Masters not far away. ::)

Cheers,

The old fashioned NDB is also a really good substitute for direct-to on the GPS.

I found RW that for an airport in or close to a large urban area, look for the black hole without light. Runway lights at secondary airports ae always dull compared to ambient light.

In contrast out in the empty bush, PAL lighting can suddenly make the airstrip stand out dramatically from a totally black landscape.

Thats an amazing vid, favourited that! I'm guessing those footy grounds are the soccer facilities just North of YMMB, if they're not in the Orbx package I'll add them to my list of to-do's, esp that night lighting!

Tx again

That's right - it's the soccer and baseball fields on the north side of Centre Dandenong Road. They were left out of the YMMB release purely for performance reasons!

Archived