Sibwings Bird Dog L-19. Worthy of joining my current best?

cvearl

I have been slowly forming my "will stay in my hangar forever" list. Those planes that I can feel the air interract with the plane. Where I can feel the edge of the envelope sometimes. Especially now with EZCA.

Current list of favorites.

A2A Piper Cub J3 wtih Accusim

Real Air Scout/Decathalon/Citabria

Real Air Duke Turbine

Aerosoft Diamond DA20-100 4X

Is the Sibwings Bdog a good addition to this list and are there others at this level I am leaving off? Also have to be detailed in the views and all the little working bits.

PS - While some may not agree I have to add Carenado Bonanza F33 current version to this list.

Thanks!

I meant to post in Pilots Lounge. Can someone relocate this?

Charles.

I think the BirdDog could be added to that list yes. I've flown it a LOT, and still love to take it out in the ORBX scenery for a low and slow tour. To me it feels very much "alive", but I must stress I'm NOT a pilot, so what would I know :)

Others I would add to MY "Definitely keep in my hanger" list would be, A2A WOP3 Spitfire, B-17, P-47 all with Accusim. ( If you like those sort of planes).

Yep. Great VC detailing and a very good FM. You have to keep her speed up on landing, like the real one, so I'm told.

I'd add the Carenado C185 over the Bonanza to that list, but I do like the little A35 Vtail.

It's got one of the most used and abused VCs ever - and I mean that in the best way possible. As digital art, it's first-class. It's been a while since I flew it, but I recall it being very satisfactory in the flight dynamics area as well. My vote: stick it in that hangar!

I have the Bird Dog, but I became frustrated by the radio tuning bug. (Cannot always select all frequencies.) I also could not

get the ADF to work consistently. This may be a petty criticism, but I use the FSX ATC a lot and like to track NDBs.

The original version was impossible to take off or land in a moderate crosswind, but Sibwings fixed this in the update.

The plane I fly most if the RealAir Scout. It has the best combination of handling, visibility looking out and reasonably high

cruise speed of the various addons (many) I own. It would be nice if an updated version of the Scout was released, but the current

version is still much better than 90% of the stuff out there.

The SibWings Bird Dog is a "must have" for backcountry flying under VFR conditions.

This aircraft in the latest version V 1.2 (FDE modification done by Alexander Metzger) is well done so far.

A bit tricky here and there but generally no problem to fly her.

Note:

F-model: You cannot fly an ILS approach

During ILS approaches the aircraft is always positioned to the right of the LOC when the needle was centered.

There is no "TO/FROM" indication on the instrument.

Questions about this are not answered anymore in the SibWing forum.

It was after I saw John V demoing it in one of his vids that made me wanna buy this amazing aircraft..

Yeah John made me buy it aswell :D It was the same video that prompted me to go and buy it. Then 4 other guys I fly with went and bought it too. JV has a lot to answer for :D

The SibWings Bird Dog is a "must have" for backcountry flying under VFR conditions.

This aircraft in the latest version V 1.2 (FDE modification done by Alexander Metzger) is well done so far.

A bit tricky here and there but generally no problem to fly her.

Note:

F-model: You cannot fly an ILS approach

During ILS approaches the aircraft is always positioned to the right of the LOC when the needle was centered.

There is no "TO/FROM" indication on the instrument.

Questions about this are not answered anymore in the SibWing forum.

Are we certain this was not an offset approach? Many approaches are not aligned with the runways. They can be off to one side or on an angle for a reason. Usually terrain. The ILS at Bowerman is a straight in.

http://tiles.skyvector.com/sky/files/tpp/1110/pdf/00889ILD24.PDF

I have not tried the ILS there yet.

C.

>> The ILS at Bowerman is a straight in.

I tried Bowerman and many other straight in ILS. Same problem.

Following the course deviation bar will lead you right off the runway. Glide slope bar is ok.

See the difference when using a standard MS C-172 or any other airplane with a functional ILS.

This problem was brought up in their forum, Jan 20, 2011 and again Feb 10, 2011 - no response!!!

(If this wasn't an error, it would have been easy to answer)

Nevertheless, as I said before, a great plane for VFR!!!

>> The ILS at Bowerman is a straight in.

I tried Bowerman and many other straight in ILS. Same problem.

Following the course deviation bar will lead you right off the runway. Glide slope bar is ok.

See the difference when using a standard MS C-172 or any other airplane with a functional ILS.

This problem was brought up in their forum, Jan 20, 2011 and again Feb 10, 2011 - no response!!!

(If this wasn't an error, it would have been easy to answer)

Nevertheless, as I said before, a great plane for VFR!!!

That kind of sucks. Well. I have to look at it after this many positive endorsements.

C.

That kind of sucks. Well. I have to look at it after this many positive endorsements.

C.

I'm also considering to buy the Bird Dog, and I actually do not much bother about its ability to fly ILS approaches. The Bird Dog is not the kind of plane typically used for precision instrument approaches (would be different if it was the NGX :) ).

Wolfgang

The Bird Dog is not the kind of plane typically used for precision instrument approaches (would be different if it was the NGX :) ).

Wolfgang

Agreed Wolfgang! I save precison ILS approaches for something like the Baron or the Duke. The only IFR flying I do in the Bird Dog is the ( I Follow Roads) IFR! :)

I agree the arguments said above.

Nevertheless, not using this plane for ILS does not automatically mean an excuse for the authors selling a product

which isn't fully functional. I paid full price, I didn't get a discount for this unsolved problem.

And this is not the only technical problem. But I do not decribe other ones here.

Users have wide variety of different opinions when an aircraft is to be called "great or excellent" . Some are quite satisfied if it is easy to use and easy to fly, others want a plane with "real" FDE, highly texured from outside and inside (VC) and of course fully funtional in every aspect that is offered.

So again, Bird Dog is an excellent VFR aircraft!

I have the Bird Dog, but I became frustrated by the radio tuning bug. (Cannot always select all frequencies.) I also could not

get the ADF to work consistently. This may be a petty criticism, but I use the FSX ATC a lot and like to track NDBs.

The original version was impossible to take off or land in a moderate crosswind, but Sibwings fixed this in the update.

The plane I fly most if the RealAir Scout. It has the best combination of handling, visibility looking out and reasonably high

cruise speed of the various addons (many) I own. It would be nice if an updated version of the Scout was released, but the current

version is still much better than 90% of the stuff out there.

I have enjoyed this aircraft, but I got frustrated with the ADF as well. Sometimes it registered the signal and sometimes not and it did not seem to correlate with distance or obstructions. When I posted this issue I was told that real ADF's are sometimes flaky and so I shouldn't worry about it. I still think it's a bug and not an attempt to model this behavior.

That being said, I enjoyed flying it and its great visibility, which is great for scenery. However, I hardly fly anything but A2A aircraft with Accusim anymore. They just seem more realistic.

Bill

I agree the arguments said above.

Nevertheless, not using this plane for ILS does not automatically mean an excuse for the authors selling a product

which isn't fully functional. I paid full price, I didn't get a discount for this unsolved problem.

And this is not the only technical problem. But I do not decribe other ones here.

Users have wide variety of different opinions when an aircraft is to be called "great or excellent" . Some are quite satisfied if it is easy to use and easy to fly, others want a plane with "real" FDE, highly texured from outside and inside (VC) and of course fully funtional in every aspect that is offered.

So again, Bird Dog is an excellent VFR aircraft!

+1

I have the Bird Dog in my hangar as well and i enjoy jumping into it´s cokpit and fly around with it quite often.

But one thing´s for sure: It´s features are not comparable to what the A2A Cub, the RealAir Scout or the Katana (just to list a few here) have to offer.

Nonetheless: The BirdDog is a real great fun to fly around with and i don´t want to miss it - yet ...

on the other hand I also think that it´s just a little sad somehow, that it´s developer stopped tuning it a little bit to early in some way, with the latest update being released almost a year ago by now.

If that would not have been this way, the BirdDog could possibly be put alongside here with the Cub and all the other great add-on-planes named here!

• 2 months later...

Archived