The plan: retire FTX Mode - your input please

We're constantly thinking of ways to improve FTX, and the one thing which has been a thorn in our sides has been FTX Mode. As you know, the original plan was for FTX to be an "install and forget" product, but as we progressed down the initial development cycle it became apparent that we needed to protect key FSX files which are used by other addons. We did this mainly to respect other developers and to ensure FTX was a "good citizen".

However, that's not to say we aren't fixated on getting rid of FTX Mode - we most certainly are. Once AU RED is release we will begin an R&D cycle to scale back on the aggressive levels of mods to the following files:

- lclookup.bgl

- autogendescriptions.bgl/xml

- roofdescriptions.bgl/xml

There are other modified textures for trees and autogen texture housing sheets, but they can actually coexist in the global scheme of things with very minimal effect on flights around the world. There will be an autogen set tweak needed to fix the triangle industrial roof problem some people experience with FTX Mode on - we've tested why this is happening and there is no logical explanation, since we don't alter USA or E roof texture sets at all.

The other key file to respect is terrain.cfg. We will move to a UTX-style of implementation where all the custom FTX entries are *added* incrementally to that file, allow 100% seamless coexistence with UTX and VancouverX etc etc.

The aim is that by the release of FTX US BLUE (PNW), FTX Mode will be a thing of the past and FTX and UTX will play happily side by side (you will need to make choices over which vector roads to use though, but Holger will work with Allen Kriesman on the best solution).

We'd like your feedback on these plans and if you'll miss FTX mode or not. I suspect most of you won't ;)

my biggest wish to just be able to install any old thing right on top of FSX and jump in the cockpit and go flying. no hassles involved, <<<< thats the bottom line for me

FTXmode to me is just something i have to turn off before installing anything (easy to forget :))

I have it turned on 99% of the time , in fact i have not felt like flying anywhere else in the world to be honest

surely there is a way for all to coexist

Agreed, if you can get FTX to coexsist with other addons without FTX mode John, I think it si the way to go. Like others here I now fly pretty much exclusively in Oz :P

I have no idea what actually happens when you turn FTX mode on and off - I just follow the instructions and it works. I've flown across the boundary to non-FTX areas (western Qld) and the transition was fine so I've seen no need to touch the FTX icon so far, except for installing new modules.

However, it is out of the ordinary (but then so is the FTX scenery ;-) and it has obviously caused a few hassles so as you expand into other countries it would certainly be worth finding a way to remove the need for it.

The need for .NET to be installed intrigues me. If it's not giving away any trade secrets, a little explanation here of the underlying technology behind FTX would be appreciated.

Greg

I fully concur with everything that has been said.

I never fly outside Australia now, except for 1 flight I did a week or so back from London to France. I was so disheartened by the scenery that it was the last time for me.

I love the Brissie to Sydney run and travel it 3 or 4 times a week, cannot see myself being unhappy flying the beautiful scenery here in Australia for years.

Frank

Yes, would like to see FTX mode go away.  I know I have issues with FTX mode on, and try to access parts of the USA with MegaScenery, UTX, GEX running.  Around Hawaii, with MegaScenery running, its surronded by land, very strange effect.  So if I want to fly outside of FTX land have to turn FTX Mode off every time.  Not bad now, but when USA Area comes out will be a major pain, if not a show stopper.  Would hate to trun off other addon applications to be able to access the FTX area for USA.  Hope it can be resolved before then. 

Same sentiment.  But I don't really care if it's there or not.  I'm an FTX addict and only fly now in an FTX area.   It's on all the time and I never notice it.

But judging by the support threads where the solution was change FTX mode, it may get rid of a little confusion out there.

Hopefully in FS11 the settings that FSX mode changes can be made per scenery area....

Cheers,

Matt.

Yea, I think I have flown about 3 time for not more than 10 min. since FTX came out, but still would be nice.  I normally only turn off FTX mode if I try to complete a mission that is based in area that is covered by other scenery addons.

No FTX Mode ICON...  :'(

an FTX Icon's for Life.... not just the first 5 releases...

Don Venema Spare the Icon Posted Image show it some compassion  ;D ;D ;D

or at least use it to link to the forum webpage or something :)

Hey John,

You already know my vote!  ;D

Although I must say I haven't really noticed any major problems recently flying around the world with FTX mode on other than that pesky roof texture. Since I installed AU Gold its been plane sailing.b

Paul

Yes, would like to see FTX mode go away.  I know I have issues with FTX mode on, and try to access parts of the USA with MegaScenery, UTX, GEX running.  Around Hawaii, with MegaScenery running, its surronded by land, very strange effect.  So if I want to fly outside of FTX land have to turn FTX Mode off every time.  Not bad now, but when USA Area comes out will be a major pain, if not a show stopper.  Would hate to trun off other addon applications to be able to access the FTX area for USA.  Hope it can be resolved before then. 

That sounds like the old missing UTX entries in the terrain.cfg - run the UTX setup tools with FTX mode ON. UTX will then place its entries in FTX's terrain.cfg and your water should come back (I'm pretty sure this has no adverse effects on FTX)

Paul

Hey John,

You already know my vote!  ;D

Although I must say I haven't really noticed any major problems recently flying around the world with FTX mode on other than that pesky roof texture. Since I installed AU Gold its been plane sailing.b

Paul

The roof fix involves re-doing the default annotation for those tiles which call flat roofs. Not a huge task, but we need to find the time to get around to it. We have tried to find out why the triangle gable-ends are showing and it's stumped us completely, since we don't replace any default roof sets. Holger thinks it could be a duplicate GUID or something quite hard to locate.

We have tried to find out why the triangle gable-ends are showing and it's stumped us completely, since we don't replace any default roof sets. Holger thinks it could be a duplicate GUID or something quite hard to locate.

Maybe you guys should hire a professional? :D I kid! I kid!

Hi John:  I 'm one of those who must turn FTX mode off, BEFORE, I start FSX to fly in UT territory.  Otherwise I lose the sea.  Flying from Friday Harbour to Vancouver over a strange landscape was quite worrying!! 

However, now that you are working together as a team you are able to make the two sceneries compatible.  I' m right on side if the mode switch becomes redundant.  More importantly if you can take the best from both technologies then future versions of FTX/UTX should have the objective of being smoother with autogen that reduces the burden on the CPU which remains the bugbear of FSX.

Being one of those who have some issues with coastal areas of photoscenery with FTX Mode on, I am overjoyed by this statement of intent :).

I was rather wary of buying releases outside Oz before this, but if this is fixed in time for PNW, the thought of being able to fly in that area with your kind of work fills me with glee :). This wins you another customer for PNW :).

The only person I can see having a problem if you retire the FTX mode is my Swiss girlfriend. She has really enjoyed learning a lot of new English swear words each time I fire up FSX having installed something with the FTX mode off, only to realize that I started the sim without switching the FTX mode back on again  ::)

Personally I'm all for the change if it's possible.

Jack

What FTX Mode button...  ;D

Seriously, FTX is one of the most user friendly pieces of software I have used in simming in 23 odd years and you want to make it easier  ???  I really don't mind either way.

Cheers,

For me, FTX mode on/off is no problem, possibly more so because my brain repeats the following selection:

"Play FSX" = YES

"Fly in Oz" = YES

"Leave FTX Mode ON" = YES

"Pick place to fly" = TOO MANY CHOICES!  ;D

I rarely fly outside of home, but when I do choose to fly an American route if I am about to do a real life helo lesson in a certain area it would help me due to the fact that I am so used to flying in Aus that I ALWAYS FORGET..............that is until I finally notice to stupid roof texture thingy pop up, so I am all for its demise.

Ofcourse I'd like the FTX mode to become obsolete. I have read however how important it is to accomplish the 'revolutionary' aspects of FTX and that your own lclookup file for instance is very important concerning this. If ditching the FTX mode would mean Orbx would have to make compromises towards the way FSX is built, and hence loose the uniqueness of their scenery products, I'm suggesting to keep the FTX mode.

Ofcourse I'd like the FTX mode to become obsolete. I have read however how important it is to accomplish the 'revolutionary' aspects of FTX and that your own lclookup file for instance is very important concerning this. If ditching the FTX mode would mean Orbx would have to make compromises towards the way FSX is built, and hence loose the uniqueness of their scenery products, I'm suggesting to keep the FTX mode.

Oh there's definitely compromises. No pain, no gain.

Personally I do use FTX Mode especially when a new area is released I use it to compare the amazing differences between FTX and Default (make a flight in default then turn FTX on and refly the same route) usually short flights because default is so grim and I want to get back into FTX quickly. But I do like to see the comparison so I find FTX mode usefull for that.

Personally I do use FTX Mode especially when a new area is released I use it to compare the amazing differences between FTX and Default (make a flight in default then turn FTX on and refly the same route) usually short flights because default is so grim and I want to get back into FTX quickly. But I do like to see the comparison so I find FTX mode usefull for that.

Turning FTX mode [OFF] won't give you a real comparison, because the landclass and textures will still be seen - you also need to disable the FTX entries in the FSX scenery library to see the true difference :)

John, would those compromises involve any "dumbing down" of FTX or would they involve somewhat FTX'ing the rest of the world?  I'm not quite sure what is involved in the process.

With thanks,

I thought that much. In that case getting rid of the FTX mode is downgrading your products. Not something I'm in favour of  :) Or, to put in another way:

Wise old saying "If it works don't f*** with it."  ;D

:D

Archived